Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sep 2023 : BA launch new Ozwald Boateng uniforms

Sep 2023 : BA launch new Ozwald Boateng uniforms

Old Jan 6, 2023, 4:54 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I tend to agree a lot of the negativity is due to the styling and photography. The main hero shots and the video has the employees looking very dour, the lighting is bad, the angles are from below (no one’s flattering angle) and the female neck ties (or scarves) look limp.

I still think the uniform is generally uninspired but at least this real life photo makes the uniform look like something that can be worn with pride - something the PR shots don’t show.

Originally Posted by opus99
https://twitter.com/justanother_ben/...cPBZdAotTCxKoQ

i blame the person that took those pictures.

looking at this tweet of a CC that’s seen it in person and probably taken with a regular phone camera, it actually doesn’t look bad.

when I saw it at first, I was in the no category but the more I look at the more it grows on me (even with the stock photos)

but I have a feeling it will look a lot nicer in person, as this picture seems to indicate
Old Jan 7, 2023, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by flybymonkey
I wonder if BA will have to review its position on all outfits before officially going 'live' with them. Especially as it has become global headline news on major news broadcasters as well as forums and social channels. There is certainly no denying the populas opinion does not fall in favor of them.
I doubt it. Unveiling a new uniform should really have been an opportunity to wow the public and convey a sense of new dynamic and style and clearly this has not happened (even the positives on this thread tend to be more on the "I think it's actually ok" level rather than the "how can you not see what a striking new look that is" level), but I doubt that BA will cancel the change in any way. What I imagine is that staff - particularly cabin crew - must have a choice between different combinations, etc and if some specific items appear to be particularly unpopular (e.g. nobody chooses the skirt or something) or staff complain about something being wrong with particular items, those may be either modified or discontinued in favour of the rest of the range, but that's a bout as far as that will go.

I know there was a past experience when the media and some politicians decided to meddle with corporate branding in the form of a certain series of tails but I doubt any politician will bother right now (those new uniforms are just dull, not radical) and the media are far more interested in stallion tales (hmmm...) than airline uniforms to boost their sales. At this stage, I suspect it is mostly in the staff's hands and those of BA's future powers to be: if they like the stuff, it will stick around for a while, if they won't, in 5 years from now, they will start thinking about want a "new new" / revamped uniform for the 2030s.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 12:13 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

How long are staff meant to keep using their uniforms before they are considered tattered enough for a replacement?
Old Jan 7, 2023, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by sxc
How long are staff meant to keep using their uniforms before they are considered tattered enough for a replacement?
I have no idea how it works on BA. On some other airlines, I know there is a sort of "allowance" system whereby staff initially have a given allowance which they can use to decide on a mix of uniform garments that they like, and then get an additional number of points every year which they can use whenever they want to order new garments. There are also processes in place in case of accidentally damaged items. I have no idea whether BA follows a similar pattern or something very different but I'm sure one of the staffers on here will kindly tell us!
Old Jan 7, 2023, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by sxc
Crew get an annual shirt allowance. For other items it's on a case by case basis and subject to stock levels.
orbitmic and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 9:02 am

Programs: BAEC
Looks like cheap polyester fancy dress. Clearly theme is to go woke but it's over the top shouting about it with unnecessarily inelegant and with some cases intentionally "manly".
Old Jan 7, 2023, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by varkey
Looks like cheap polyester fancy dress. Clearly theme is to go woke but it's over the top shouting about it with unnecessarily inelegant and with some cases intentionally "manly".
I was going to post that I was mildly surprised we’d managed to get this far without someone reaching into the Daily Mail editorial thesaurus….
Old Jan 7, 2023, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
From the SLF POV, I’ll just say ”Dull and uninspiring”. The users will, of course, have a different POV as they have to live and work in it.

Some with time on their hands might like to browse … https://www.pprune.org/military-avia...-uniforms.html 😖
Old Jan 7, 2023, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by varkey
Woke? https://www.indy100.com/viral/rakie-ayola-woke-bbc
Old Jan 7, 2023, 7:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Mrs S seems to think that the skirt is ok, the dress is a little frumpy and the trousers not really for her. It seems that the BBC article might be a little optimistic - doesn’t seem as though fitting will be an option and it’s a case of measuring yourself and then inputting your measurements online. Early days though.

Her younger colleagues are far less enamoured with it.
HIDDY and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Saladman

Her younger colleagues are far less enamoured with it.
Therein lies the problem. You can't please everyone whether crew or customer. I'm a scruffy sod most of the time...bombachas de campo is my usual everyday attire. So any uniform looks smart to me.
DaveS likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 10:46 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Curious how the jumpsuit works for long haul when it comes to hygiene. I assume that crew pack an extra shirt for the return trip so they have a clean shirt for the inbound journey.

If you choose to wear the onesie, do you get issued two of them and you bring the extra with you for the inbound?
Old Jan 8, 2023, 2:25 am

I heard Natwest called and they want their uniforms back.

Think they said keep the balaclava, though.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 11:02 am

Watch the latest TikTok video (you don't need an account) . The footage is much more raw with natural light. I am still coming around them.

British Airways (@british_airways) Official TikTok | Watch British Airways's Newest TikTok Videos
SpeedbirdLHR likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by flybymonkey
Watch the latest TikTok video (you don't need an account) . The footage is much more raw with natural light. I am still coming around them.

British Airways (@british_airways) Official TikTok | Watch British Airways's Newest TikTok Videos

A few crème anglaise additions on the outbound sector and any positive thoughts over the jumpsuits may see an about turn in opinions of the wearer. Let’s hope they have sufficient pinnys to issue out of stores.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.