Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sep 2023 : BA launch new Ozwald Boateng uniforms

Sep 2023 : BA launch new Ozwald Boateng uniforms

Old Jan 6, 2023, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Skimo
I've just seen it in person in CRC. It's even worse than I feared. The jumpsuit is just....nuts.
Why did I always assume you were male? 😂
Old Jan 6, 2023, 4:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
If Oswald Boating wants to showcase Britishness in his new creation - you would think he would have had people who could tie their ties properly. Every single tie in the video is awful, half hanging down and not straight. I am also not sure what the female Captain thinks she looks like in those sunglasses - this is not Top Gun! Or are they issue too?

The video I just watched makes the designer look fab with his lovely crisp, white, smart shirt. The staff behind him look bland - the video is all about him - not about the staff as he says!

Regards

aks120
skipness1E likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 4:42 am

Are they expecting more emergencies with these jumpsuits?
Old Jan 6, 2023, 4:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Mucci
Originally Posted by Crubber
I'm ground crew and disappointed that there are no hoodies in the new uniform. There are balaclavas but these are not really practical and look ridiculous.

When it is cold and windy it is nice to have the protection from the elements that a hoody gives. A lot of us wear our own which we will continue to do.
You do realise you have just sent me on a 6 month eBay hunt to find BA branded balaclavas...??!
Old Jan 6, 2023, 4:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Mucci
I have to be honest (and no doubt quite unpopular) and say that the more I look at it the more I am finding things that I like, especially from the close-up photos posted by CWS.
I think the Concorde team member looks really sharp.
They have stayed with a pretty formal/muted look overall. It would certainly be in keeping with a "premium" style of branding.
Now running as the headline news item in BBC Business.

The proof, of course, will be in how they all look when the crews start appearing wearing it.
I am looking forward to it.

Last edited by crazy8534; Jan 6, 2023 at 4:53 am
Old Jan 6, 2023, 5:01 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
I read a quote somewhere, quite possibly HfP, that as Ozwald Boateng is predominantly a menswear designer, the men's uniforms are better than the women's. I think I concur.

Most of the men's designs look quite sharp. The women's either look quite masculine, which is fine, or those that presumably are designed to look more feminine (like the dresses/jumpsuits) are a bit odd.

Disclaimer: I'm no fashionista

Last edited by Speedbird676; Jan 6, 2023 at 5:09 am Reason: Corrected Oswald to Ozwald
Old Jan 6, 2023, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Horrible.
TarquinMontague likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 5:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by crazy8534
I have to be honest (and no doubt quite unpopular) and say that the more I look at it the more I am finding things that I like, especially from the close-up photos posted by CWS.
I go along with this. The men seem - on first glance - to have got the better deal, but when you consider the large number of roles that were involved here, then Confus' point is a good one - when we see uniform reveals in the media, we don't often see that guy from Engineering or the ground handlers. But there is, for me, one big proof point, which none of us have yet seen: that is when you see a cabin and flight deck team sweep through somewhere like JFK or YYZ or SIN or indeed MAD. Then you see what it is all about. VS - it's not my favourite - but nevertheless it's an impressive sweep - that's when you realise there is good design at work.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 5:19 am

I have just reviewed all the images and watched the video several times and I am starting to come around to it as I think there are lots of redeeming qualities and I even don't mind the sash!

One thing I didn’t realize initially on the video was the sheer scale of positions this project covers as it seems to go for almost every service role in not just BA but also IAG cargo. Boateng has supposedly consulted staff with all the positions concerned and discovered the pros and cons of their attire before sign off.

Only time will tell when the uniforms are truly 'live' and you can share your feedback with the staff on how bad they are or notify BA management directly.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by crazy8534
I think the Concorde team member looks really sharp.
They have stayed with a pretty formal/muted look overall. It would certainly be in keeping with a "premium" style of branding.
Now running as the headline news item in BBC Business.

The proof, of course, will be in how they all look when the crews start appearing wearing it.
I am looking forward to it.
I am with you. From this today, I think it looks really good and up to date. The main thing is from the wearers perspective of course, and how it makes them feel.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
The garments look a lot better in person, with some nice details that dont really show up in the photos. Will be interesting seeing who goes for the jumpsuit and if any pilots take the culottes.

The apron is universally unpopular with cabin crew, I suspect many will go unused.
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 5:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The romper suit

Old Jan 6, 2023, 5:43 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
Is this real?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC
Id say Boateng has probably hit the design brief on the head. Understated elegance with a dash of zest - my take.

If his tailoring is anything to go by then just having a sharper tailored look (is it?) for all will be a big change than the current boot leg, square fit that looks more out of the now defunct British Home Stores (BHS)!

I agree the silk scarfs look like they would get in the way or end up dangling in ones soup! But the good news is you can tie a scarf is various ways. The speed marque pins are a nice touch.

A fleece hoodie for ground staff does seem a missed opportunity. Easy to produce as an additional item surely?!

I look forward to seeing it all in reality.
Cap'n Benj and Crubber like this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

If his tailoring is anything to go by then just having a sharper tailored look (is it?) for all will be a big change than the current boot leg, square fit that looks more out of the now defunct British Home Stores (BHS)!.
Sharper tailoring for broad and wide people isnt a good thing.

(The current prevalent fad for slim fit with a 38 waist for instance, defeats the purpose!)
T8191 and nancypants like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.