Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR-JFK-LHR: Seeking consensus re. F vs J and 747 vs 777

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, LY Matmid, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, CX Marco Polo

Afternoon all

I have a trip planned next month to JFK and just wondering, given the new J service on this route and the usual aircraft used, what the BAFT consensus was on:

1. LHR-JFK day flight: First vs Club - if both were an option but the better timed flight was likely to be in Club, is it worth moving just to get First?
2. In terms of meal service if you had the choice between a lunchtime LHR-JFK and a morning flight, which would you choose?
3. For the JFK-LHR I am looking at the last flights back where there is a B747 flight within 15 mins of a B777 - which would you choose?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
1. Take the better timed flight.

2. With the exception of the very first LHR-JFK of the day (BA117, usually around 08:30) they all get exactly the same meal so it's just up to you what time of day you want to eat it.

3. Difference between B744 and B772 F has been done many times on here, 747 is a nice quiet experience up in the nose, but 777 has a bigger seat. In CW then B744 every single time, no question.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
1. Day flight first..
3. Last 747 flight cw 64k sleeper
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Flying Club
Do make sure it's a refurbished 747 also, I had the misfortune of a filthy unrefurbished mid-J 747 between LHR and JFK last month.

While I don't want to repeat what has been said here many times, flying in the nose of the 747 is great but I prefer the room of the 777 seat, just avoid rows 1 and 5 on the 777.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by A406toHeathrow
just wondering ... what the BAFT consensus was
I admire the optimism!
LCY8737, orbitmic and golfmad like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
1. I'd take the better timed flight LHR-JFK, assuming the timing is enough of an issue to mention it here.

2. Wouldn't care about meals; I find an evening flight westbound easier to deal witjh in terms of jetlag and going to bed at a sensible time (for the destination). If I fly in the morning I want to crawl into bed at 7 p.m.

3. In Club (and I'd probably be in Club as the flight is too short to enjoy F service on an overnight) I'd choose a 747 on the upper deck, in F I'd choose a 777. Not done AA business class yet somehow, but that has its own advantages and disadvantages. 747 UD if you pushed me.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdsworld
Do make sure it's a refurbished 747 also, I had the misfortune of a filthy unrefurbished mid-J 747 between LHR and JFK last month.

While I don't want to repeat what has been said here many times, flying in the nose of the 747 is great but I prefer the room of the 777 seat, just avoid rows 1 and 5 on the 777.
I won't be able to know that in advance though will I? Surely that must be uncommon or only in event of an aircraft going tech on that route?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I admire the optimism!
Perhaps we should use "consensus" to mean "opinion spread" haha
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
1. I'd take the better timed flight LHR-JFK, assuming the timing is enough of an issue to mention it here.

2. Wouldn't care about meals; I find an evening flight westbound easier to deal witjh in terms of jetlag and going to bed at a sensible time (for the destination). If I fly in the morning I want to crawl into bed at 7 p.m.

3. In Club (and I'd probably be in Club as the flight is too short to enjoy F service on an overnight) I'd choose a 747 on the upper deck, in F I'd choose a 777. Not done AA business class yet somehow, but that has its own advantages and disadvantages. 747 UD if you pushed me.
Thanks for this

The thought of getting up particularly early to catch a flight where I'd be more likely to get F certainly doesn't particularly appeal so I think that part is decided

I do have a soft spot for the B747s so it may be worth going for that over the 777 on way back but with my lack of status I will be almost certain to miss out on an UD seat
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Flying Club
I won't be able to know that in advance though will I? Surely that must be uncommon or only in event of an aircraft going tech on that route?
If you do a dummy CW or WTP+ booking, you would be able to tell if it's a mid-J jumbo. Obviously that's no protection against a last-minute equipment change, but it's a helpful guide. I do think mid-J are rare enough on LHR-JFK though.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Thanks for this

The thought of getting up particularly early to catch a flight where I'd be more likely to get F certainly doesn't particularly appeal so I think that part is decided

I do have a soft spot for the B747s so it may be worth going for that over the 777 on way back but with my lack of status I will be almost certain to miss out on an UD seat
if you have no status (missed that part) I'd suggest AA J on the way out - free seat selection, a 1-2-1 layout and better lounges at LHR Terminal 3.

Then BA 747 upper deck on the way back if you possibly can (and would pay extra for that).
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
if you have no status (missed that part) I'd suggest AA J on the way out - free seat selection, a 1-2-1 layout and better lounges at LHR Terminal 3.

Then BA 747 upper deck on the way back if you possibly can (and would pay extra for that).
Thanks - will see if this is an option for me (trip is funded so need to check with them!)
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
If I knew in advance I could get 62A/K or 64 A/K on the jumbo, and also if the additional TPs weren't a big deal, I'd think seriously about forgoing F now.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
having done new CW and F recently. I have to sat CW catering seems better. Love the new big glasses and presentation . Having said that both My F legs were inbound to the Uk from outstations SEA and PHX ; the food was rough! Not sure about NYC catering
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Have given up F on the NY-LHR route, although it's nice to dine in the Concorde lounge the other perks are not worth the short duration, Tend to take a late flight in that direction to minimize jet lag, dine on the ground then sleep on the plane, breakfast in the arrivals lounge Pick a window seat so no one is clambering over you .In the other direction tend to go with AA codeshare. There is a great choice of lounges in T3 so if you're concerned about food you can have something decent before you leave. Also prefer the seating on AA. Have also found that there tends to be a delay at immigration in the US in the BA terminal with some of the later flights with several flights using the terminal at the same time. Not a problem if you have global entry. As you now see, there's no real consensus about this!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.