Wiki Posts
Search

how do you avoid Jetlag?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
how do you avoid Jetlag?

As most of our LH flight have been flying West we have only ever suffered jetlag on the return leg on eastbound overnight flights. However as we are booked on BA59 to CPT next March I was worried tht we would suffer from jetlag for the first few days of our trip. We'll be flying in F (bought in the 2for1 sale back in July), so hopefully get some sleep overnight - but is that enough?
Our current plans are to spend the first few nights of our trip in Franschhoek and spend the day after arrival on the Wine Tram - so plenty of wine to be had I want to ensure that we are awake enough to enjoy the experience.

How do you seasoned flyers manage to avoid jetlag (or don't you)?

I assume that fo short trips people try to stay on UK (or whatever home is) time - but on longer trips, how long does it take to adjust to local time?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
There isn't really any jetlag to contend with, as you're only moving two timezones...? Jetlag occurs when crossing several timezones, SA time is UK + 2 hours, so it should be a simple adjustment, I believe it's a popular route for that reason (amongst others, such as the amazing scenery, cuisine and wine of course, but I'm from CPT so I'm biased)
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Cape Town is only one hour ahead of the UK, so you won't be substantially jetlagged. However, if you stay awake on your overnight flight then you will certainly be sleep deprived. Best advice is just to go to bed right away, although that is of course frustrating if you're an infrequent F flyer and want to enjoy the food/drink etc.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The good news is that since the flight to CPT is almost all South and has a very small Easterly component the effects of jetlag should be negligible and comparable to the jetlag experienced when flying to, for example, PMI. The bad news is that the flight is relatively long but since you are travelling in F it should be fairly easy to get sleep whenever you need it so with any luck you will be a little tired on your first day after a long flight but after that will be completely fine.
bakera likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by bakera
However as we are booked on BA59 to CPT next March I was worried tht we would suffer from jetlag for the first few days of our trip. We'll be flying in F (bought in the 2for1 sale back in July), so hopefully get some sleep overnight - but is that enough?
Avoid alcohol, stay hydrated, eat lightly, go to bed early and sleep for as much of the flight as possible.

These all work to minimise jetlag, which is already pretty minimal flying UK <--> ZA. (In contrast, I detest all trans-Atlantic flying for jetlag reasons.) But I do have to contend with the common dilemma of also wanting to enjoy the F experience, which is in tension with every element of that advice.

Perhaps the best advice is to fly in CW, avoid alcohol, stay hydrated, eat lightly, go to bed early and sleep for as much of the flight as possible.
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
There isn't really any jetlag to contend with, as you're only moving two timezones...?
Originally Posted by technical_bob
Cape Town is only one hour ahead of the UK ...
In March 2019, it's 2 hours until the UK goes on to BST on 31 March 2019.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
I avoid flying further afield than NYC. I find I can just "go to bed and get up early" when in NY. The west coast ruins me though.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys (and gals?) - for some reason I thought SA was 4 hours ahead - I don't remember where I got that from.
As we are very infrequent F flyer (this will be our second) I really want to enjoy the inflight experience and am looking forward to the LPGS, wines, port and single malt on board - which should ultimately get me to go to sleep.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
If you're planning on working through the LPGS, wines, port and single malt...I don't think it's the jet-lag you have to worry about! Just a good old-fashioned hangover (made worse by the dry air on the plane).

I've found long-haul travel so much more bearable now I don't drink on flights. I'll allow myself a glass (maybe two...) of champagne in the lounge, then it's water all the way to arrival. Yes, it's a shame to be turning down free drinks on the plane: but even in First on BA the wine is usually nothing so special you couldn't pick up a bottle to enjoy at home for Ł30-40...and I value arriving with a clearer head more highly than that.

But enjoy the flight and max out on the F experience for sure. And don't worry about jet-lag at least!
lavajava, bakera and Beano like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by ratypus
If you're planning on working through the LPGS, wines, port and single malt...I don't think it's the jet-lag you have to worry about! Just a good old-fashioned hangover (made worse by the dry air on the plane).

I've found long-haul travel so much more bearable now I don't drink on flights. I'll allow myself a glass (maybe two...) of champagne in the lounge, then it's water all the way to arrival. Yes, it's a shame to be turning down free drinks on the plane: but even in First on BA the wine is usually nothing so special you couldn't pick up a bottle to enjoy at home for Ł30-40...and I value arriving with a clearer head more highly than that.

But enjoy the flight and max out on the F experience for sure. And don't worry about jet-lag at least!
I was about to say the same for this route - it's not going to have much impact on jet lag, but the alcohol won't help with feeling refreshed.

OP: You might want to hit the alert moderator button so they can kindly edit your thread title to make it easier to search. I think who should be how
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lavajava
OP: You might want to hit the alert moderator button so they can kindly edit your thread title to make it easier to search. I think who should be how
Done
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:16 am

I always recommend drinking through.

Generally works OK and has livened up what have been some pretty dull meetings.....
streetmagix, nwmgc and bakera like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
That thread title change worked splendidly
lavajava, bakera and andimilk like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
The most important thing I find is to set my watch, and my mind, to destination time.

If I'm flying on a 4 p.m. flight from the west coast - that means it's basically sleep time after a quick meal (still a late night at my destination, but manageable).

If I'm flying on a midnight flight from the far east - it's dinner time and I'm staying awake for another three or four hours (still an early night at my destination).

It's harder to do in economy of course but the OP is flying F so, as long as (s)he is not disturbed by the change to routine from being on a plane and gets some sleep, that won't be an issue.

Having said all that, I do tend to be an early riser if I'm flying west, and a bit of a laggard in the east... so it's not perfect, but I'm not totally out of sync with those around me, either.
bakera, Beano and Owenc like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I don't really think about jet-lag on any of our trips ... just tiredness. On my occasional flights to CPT, I've usually found I can sleep for about 7 hours [which resolves the fatigue aspect] and the time-shift is inconsequential.

Enjoy F'hoek! We're planning on doing the Wine Tram as part of this year's trip, although we're starting with a leisurely few days in Hermanus after arrival!
bakera and makin'miles like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus - Gold, Marco Polo - Silver
I fly mostly between Asia, Europe and the US, so a lot of different timezones.
People deal differently with jetlag but there are four rules for me:
1. Only think about time at destination once you get on board.
2. Flying West, arrive in the evening. Don't sleep on flights shorter than 12 hours. Go to bed ASAP once arrived.
3. Flying east, arrive in the morning. Sleep as much as possible on the plane. Limited alcohol, limited food. Once arrived, work productively all day.
4. Limited alcohol, lots of water, no coffee/tea, usually less meat.
Amygdala28, PAL62V and SanDogEngr like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.