Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to close HKG base [confirmed for Cabin Crew]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Print Wikipost

BA to close HKG base [confirmed for Cabin Crew]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Just to record here that this fundraising appeal has gone from just under £17k to just over £30k in the last 12 hours, so in excess of £1,000 per hour.
I looked at it as soon as it was posted at 21.34 hours on here it was at £18,522. As I was working very late I had a look just after 0300 hours this morning and it was just a tad over £25,000 and now it's increasing a lot. I suspect it will easily reach the amount asked for and more.

Back on topic, this really has been handled extremely bad. As others have mentioned it's the way it's been done.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:48 am

Done (on my BA Amex, of course). Come on fellow FTers - head shaking sometimes isn't enough!
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
I haven’t been around for a while as I left BA last year, but wanted to come back to share the GoFundMe page. Am so pleased, and completely unsurprised, to see that CIHY has already done this. The generosity of former colleagues and customers is outstanding and am sure that they’ll smash their target quickly. They really deserve it, as not only have they been treated callously by BA managers but specifically Carol Ng and her colleagues were very generous with their time and donations during our industrial action last year.

Although I understand that BA are working within the framework of the law in Hong Kong, I think that it is so cruel to treat anyone with such disregard. After the way that we were treated last year with the industrial action though, I am not surprised in the slightest.

The ICCs across the network were always invaluable onboard to handle any linguistic or cultural issues as route experts and cultural ambassadors. I always gave them time to talk in the pre-flight briefings, as especially on Mixed Fleet, their contributions were educational and engaging. The buy in that they had from our frequent fliers on particular routes also must have played some part in customer retention.

It won’t be much comfort, but there is a life outside of BA and I do hope that they find a new job where they’re treated as the assets that they are.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 3:11 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by Quark999
I hate all of this as much as everyone else, but I'm surprised by the surprise - I've seen the exact same type of approach in my own career from two quite respected NASDAQ listed US IT companies, including severances that were illegal both in the UK and Germany.
I expect nothing else in this day and age - am I overly pessimistic or are some people here living in a nice cuddly bubble? I'd love to have the kind of job that everyone here seems to have, I didn't think they existed anymore...
I think this is less about this isolated incident (however deeply savoury it is), and that many people (on FT, in the media, and increasingly amongst the general population) are constantly waiting for the next BA balls up. And they keep coming, sure as night follows day, each plumbing new and different depths of inadequacy and heartlessness.
mrow likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:59 am

How very sad. My thoughts and heartfelt wishes go out to the crew treated so despicably.

When I left Dan Air my pension was frozen, and subsequently BA took over Dan, including the pension fund, so I now find myself a BA pensioner. This may be one of the last occasions an airline treated its staff fairly. The manager flown back on Cathay was probably upgraded and treated Royally by Cathay management for sticking it to the pesky crew. Cathay is the airline that unilaterally fired 52 pilots, some of whom were down route on trips and were fired by fax, and treated despicably there after. A common modus operandi for the way airlines treat their employees, exacerbated by the weak labour laws in Hong Kong.

Before Mrs rapidex and I depart on our next trip, in a few days time I have ignored the poug BA have sent us, and instead will donate the revenue BA would have got to the crew fund. Poetic justice.

I hope all hurt by this will recover and continue with a happy life.
dodgeflyer, BOH, mrow and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
£36,725 of £40,000 goal right now.

At least this casts a slightly positive light on the whole sad affair.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:30 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
£39,155 ... that’s amazing
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Silver
All those years of service and loyalty and then treated like this. Exactly why I went self-employed - I wouldn’t trust any company, let alone BA!
BlackSkyuk likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BAEC
£39,155 ... that’s amazing
Never mind “Over by Christmas”, this will be “Sorted by Tea Time”at this rate. ^
rapidex likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Never mind “Over by Christmas”, this will be “Sorted by Tea Time”at this rate. ^
I've just put the kettle on^
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:37 am

They need & deserve far more than the 40k sought...please be generous!
https://au.gofundme.com/help-support...ed-ba-hkg-crew
T8191 and BAEC like this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Congratulations to the fundraising group for raising £40,000 in under 23 hours. I know the real names of some FTers, and I can see that there are plenty who have contributed to this effort, so I hope the BA cabin crew can pass the feedback to HK ICC that there were many BA passengers who were part of this effort. I hope the money raised - and the messages of support - will at least make life slightly easier for them at this difficult time.
SK, PETER01, flygirl68 and 8 others like this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by Bullswood
They need & deserve far more than the 40k sought...please be generous!
https://au.gofundme.com/help-support...ed-ba-hkg-crew
Maybe the goal should be raised at least 85,000.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:17 am

Appalling treatment of loyal staff, some of whom appear to have been serving their passengers for over 30 years.
Just because it's legal, doesn't mean it's morally right.
mrow, LTN Phobia, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BAEC

Maybe the goal should be raised at least 85,000.
As the gofundme system doesn’t seem to have an automatic ‘off switch’, who knows how far it will go? All very gratifying, though, and an amazing expression of support.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.