Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to close HKG base [confirmed for Cabin Crew]

Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Print Wikipost

BA to close HKG base [confirmed for Cabin Crew]

Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Was trying to post a link of our crew protest in Hong Kong but able to do so.

https://www.facebook.com/HKCCF1300/v...7861656623489/
If this is the level of management capability in BA currently, no wonder there are wide ranging problems.

I am a manager of people, and if I ever presented myself in front of my employees in this manner, I would be utterly disgusted.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by ermen
Wow, some cabin crew had worked for BA for 32 years and get 3.5 days notice? Utterly shameful.
kaka, zanskar and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 12:27 am

By ''notice", do they mean payment in lieu of notice? That would be a disgrace beyond comprehension IF true. A yes/no to the accuracy of the report would be a good question for the forthcoming IAG Capital Markets Day if any of the attendees has a social conscience (though as it's the forum where WW's infamous "Show me the [expletive deleted] money" slide replaced " to Fly,to Serve" as the company mantra a couple of years back, I somehow doubt it!).
Great to see the quick response to the gofundme linked above - a far too modest target and hopefully a few FT members will consider.

Last edited by Prospero; Sep 29, 2018 at 1:18 am Reason: To comply with rule 16
Old Sep 29, 2018, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Bullswood
By ''notice", do they mean payment in lieu of notice? That would be a disgrace beyond comprehension IF true. A yes/no to the accuracy of the report would be a good question for the forthcoming IAG Capital Markets Day if any of the attendees has a social conscience (though as it's the forum where WW's infamous "Show me the [expletive deleted] money" slide replaced " to Fly,to Serve" as the company mantra a couple of years back, I somehow doubt it!).
Great to see the quick response to the gofundme linked above - a far too modest target and hopefully a few FT members will consider.
Not payment in lieu notice, but notice to sign the separation agreement about the cession of the base. They were initially given only 3.5 days to sign it to receive the their statutory and severance payment. If they don't hand it in by the deadline, they would only be paid their statutory payment, as BA would then hedge their severance payment against their pension fund Now what they are fighting for is to extend the deadline, due to not enough time to go through a document with so many legal terms, as well as giving up the rights for further actions against BA etc etc
And from fb, it seems like BA had massively cocked up their payment calculation to the point that it became illegal, in both HK and UK sense.
kaka, wrp96 and Ldnn1 like this.

Last edited by Prospero; Sep 29, 2018 at 1:20 am Reason: Amend quotation
Old Sep 29, 2018, 1:13 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Disgusting treatment of staff by BA.....and [expletive deleted] the laws....companies should have some respect and understand the effect decisions like this have on individuals and families. I'll certainly be contributing to the legal effort

Last edited by Prospero; Sep 29, 2018 at 1:19 am Reason: To comply with rule 16
Old Sep 29, 2018, 1:47 am

Good on you for helping! Here's a reminder of a proud organisation - I think the Face might need a tear on the cheek in today's version.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Guess which manager flew back from Hong Kong last night.... but on Cathay?
Old Sep 29, 2018, 1:55 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JALlover
Not payment in lieu notice, but notice to sign the separation agreement about the cession of the base. They were initially given only 3.5 days to sign it to receive the their statutory and severance payment. If they don't hand it in by the deadline, they would only be paid their statutory payment, as BA would then hedge their severance payment against their pension fund Now what they are fighting for is to extend the deadline, due to not enough time to go through a document with so many legal terms, as well as giving up the rights for further actions against BA etc etc
And from fb, it seems like BA had massively cocked up their payment calculation to the point that it became illegal, in both HK and UK sense.
i think they didnt cock up
they(waterside) just forgot the hk ba union has the leader of all unions and so they cant get away from it.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 1:56 am

Noooooo!! 😱
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Summoned to Waterside? Bird deserves to be hauled over the coals for this debacle.

I have colleagues who returned to London on Thursday because BA's flights were full last night.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:15 am

From what I heard (stand to be corrected) that the two BA management staff denied they are part of the BA management team! Shocking the least to say...and they were wearing a BA ID?!
kaka and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes they are IBMs who are our direct line managers.
kaka likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: Yes
I hate all of this as much as everyone else, but I'm surprised by the surprise - I've seen the exact same type of approach in my own career from two quite respected NASDAQ listed US IT companies, including severances that were illegal both in the UK and Germany.
I expect nothing else in this day and age - am I overly pessimistic or are some people here living in a nice cuddly bubble? I'd love to have the kind of job that everyone here seems to have, I didn't think they existed anymore...
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Prospero
Summoned to Waterside? Bird deserves to be hauled over the coals for this debacle.

I have colleagues who returned to London on Thursday because BA's flights were full last night.
There we seats available on both last nights flights but only in World Traveller.
Prospero and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Please help with our appeal, we have collected nearly 17,000 in just two hours.
Just to record here that this fundraising appeal has gone from just under 17k to just over 30k in the last 12 hours, so in excess of 1,000 per hour.
flygirl68, T8191 and memesweeper like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.