Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to close HKG base [confirmed for Cabin Crew]

Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Print Wikipost

BA to close HKG base [confirmed for Cabin Crew]

Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:56 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by truncated
The Japan example is relevant because BA tried this before... they shifted LHR-HND to MF and tried hiring Japanese-speaking crew — but as CIHY points out (in post 11 of this thread) it failed since they couldn't hire or keep any decent speakers at the wages they were paying — so why would HKG/Cantonese be any different?
As a point of comparison CX has a London base so the relevant language skills can be found in the UK with a willingness to work on airlines. However I don’t know if the CX contract is more generous than the mixed fleet terms.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by truncated
The Japan example is relevant because BA tried this before... they shifted LHR-HND to MF and tried hiring Japanese-speaking crew — but as CIHY points out (in post 11 of this thread) it failed since they couldn't hire or keep any decent speakers at the wages they were paying — so why would HKG/Cantonese be any different?

Also interesting how it seems you're saying we can't compare HK to Japan but we can compare London to Vancouver (or BA to AC)... And if we do want to compare BA to AC this would be something like staffing YYZ-HND with Rouge crew — wonder how that'd go down lol
Perhaps Japanese isn't as widely "expatted" for lack of a better term? I'm also not trying to directly compare AC/BA or Vancouver/London, I'm just saying we're not that far apart and here's what I see at Air Canada, no lack of foreign language FAs. Maybe the high rev Japanese businessmen hate flying AC for the same reason. It's entirely possible. The flights I've flown on, I've only really twice seen a struggle for a foreign language FA and that was just because only 1 was available in the economy cabin and she was in the wrong aisle. The other was for a Canto/Mandarin (I don't know the difference well enough to know for sure) speaker on a flight from YYZ-BOG where none would otherwise be required.

If YYZ-HND was Rouged, they'd be going after a different type of passenger, they wouldn't be after the high yielders. So unless BA is switching the route to an LCC/HD aircraft that has a lesser config or something, I can't really say I agree with the comparison.

All I'm saying is, if the numbers work for them, I can't say I disagree with the decision. Maybe it didn't work for Japan, perhaps they have reason to believe something is different for HK. Perhaps it's simply the cost to keep the HK staff and they wanna just roll the dice. I feel bad for the staff, but if I ever fly LHR-HKG, it won't affect me in the least, so if it's good for their business, I've got no issues.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by sxc
British Airways axes entire Hong Kong crew ahead of shutting city base
https://sc.mp/2QZrN3h

Article has been updated with statements by the crew. Also noting that at the last analysts briefing BA called out the HKG route as challenging.
According to the article, the affected crew were only told about the meeting on Tuesday and then immediately fired on Wednesday. Yikes.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat., IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Plat.
From a general UK public standpoint, this will probably result in good publicity for BA.

’BA SUPPORTS ECONOMY BY BRINGING 100 JOBS BACK TO THE UK’ etc. etc.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by gengar
According to the article, the affected crew were only told about the meeting on Tuesday and then immediately fired on Wednesday. Yikes.
The article basically echoed my thoughts. It's a neutral article, which I feel like some of the posters haven't been and that's where I'm coming at it from.

I don't really care that BA is doing this, it's just HOW they did it that bothers me. Right at the end of the article it mentions the same thing happening in Singapore with 6 months notice. That's almost overkill imo, but kudos to them for doing it right that time, extra demerit points for having done it right before and STILL doing it wrong this time.

These flights until the end of the month will be interesting. I can only assume there'll be lots of sick calls and some no call no shows. I'm not totally sure what the ratio numbers are, but I'm thinking most airlines don't carry more FAs than they need, so it'll be kinda disastrous for an HK FA to no call no show since it'll sort of strand the plane until someone else can be brought in to operate the flight no? Or would they just boot off whatever number of passengers they need to make the ratio work? My guess is to avoid having that happen, they'll have an extra LHR based FA or two ride along for exactly this situation.

Originally Posted by therewardconcierge
From a general UK public standpoint, this will probably result in good publicity for BA.

’BA SUPPORTS ECONOMY BY BRINGING 100 JOBS BACK TO THE UK’ etc. etc.
Well, I agree that it's slimy to get publicity THIS way...but are they wrong? They're presumably gonna fill those 100 spots with Britons.

Last edited by drvannostren; Sep 26, 2018 at 9:20 pm
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:13 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
No wonder the service in F was so mediocre on the HKG-LHR Sunday night if rumors were circulating of job losses. Though today’s LHR-SFO was absolutely abysmal.

Pathetic... especially after the whole song and dance celebrating the anniversary of service and commitment to HK about a year.

This bloody airline gets worse and worse by the day.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:33 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by sxc

As a point of comparison CX has a London base so the relevant language skills can be found in the UK with a willingness to work on airlines. However I don’t know if the CX contract is more generous than the mixed fleet terms.
I believe the employment conditions for CX are English and an Asian language though, not necessarily Cantonese.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:47 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold, Marriott Platinum
I'm very loyal to BA but the behavior here of the management and the way they delivered this message to the crew so bluntly has shocked me. This is a new low.

There are reports on the Business Traveller forum that crew who had landed in from LHR found out the news on their phones when waiting by the baggage carousel after their flight and were very upset and crying. It's a real disgrace and i feel very sorry for all affected. Appalling HR/People management and really hope the crew can find new roles soon.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Another decision by the current Management team to look at cost, rather than value. It stinks.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: MR Platinum
Originally Posted by InsomniaBA
They were.
seems commenting for all videos on BA's channel has been disabled.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by IslingtonFlyer
I'm very loyal to BA but the behavior here of the management and the way they delivered this message to the crew so bluntly has shocked me. This is a new low.

There are reports on the Business Traveller forum that crew who had landed in from LHR found out the news on their phones when waiting by the baggage carousel after their flight and were very upset and crying. It's a real disgrace and i feel very sorry for all affected. Appalling HR/People management and really hope the crew can find new roles soon.
If (and at this moment in time it's probably a big if) that is how they found out then it is a total disgrace.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:50 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by amt
Pathetic... especially after the whole song and dance celebrating the anniversary of service and commitment to HK about a year.
This. I went to the exhibition in HK to celebrate the 80 years because I happened to be in the city at the time. Massive amount of self back-slapping, a senior regional manager in attendance, one of BA's flagship routes, blah, blah, blah.

The video others have highlighted was, I think, released at the same time - I'm sure it was playing in the exhibition.

Measured against that fanfare, this is simply a shameful way to behave.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

That letter is truly very bad in my view, very crass and blunt indeed.

In my early 20's I was in the construction industry and it was sometimes the case to be given a weeks notice as it was back then but it was well known. To treat these BA employees, some of whom will have no doubt been with BA for years and years, decades perhaps, is beyond words.

If it was for commercial reasons I can see in business these things happen, however it's the way has been done. The BA brand is most definitely more tarnished in my view in this regard.

Call me cynical in my older age but they seem to be trying to bury this news with much more reported other news in recent days and weeks, far more announcements than usual.

There's a fine balance to being prudent as a company versus actually treating people as real human beings which BA on this particular issue have made a real insensitive mess of.

British Airways Media Centre

Double Avios Offer
Magical Christmas Market offer
HRH
New Uniform
Osaka Route announcement
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by tiltslope
Profile owner just shortened the last name. Seasoned enough to hide a little. Linkedin

Can't even access the profile anymore, looks like the owner shut it down
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by JALlover
Can't even access the profile anymore, looks like the owner shut it down
Still works for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.