Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to close HKG base [confirmed for Cabin Crew]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Print Wikipost

BA to close HKG base [confirmed for Cabin Crew]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:40 am

Here’s a rough translation of that letter.

“Thanks for working for us but we’re letting you go because other people are cheaper and we value your loyalty, service and experience at zero”

Honestly BA can do one.
gordon0808, wrp96, florens and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Airprox
A B77W and an A380s worth, every day.
Actually no, that is not correct. The question was "does anyone flying from London to HKG choose BA." It is not accurate to simply state an A380 and 777 aircraft a day.

BA fill their aircraft with ex EU transfer traffic and a great deal of other transfer traffic.

On a point to point basis only (ie) originate LHR, more passengers choose CX over BA particularly in premium cabins.

Moreover with Cathay operating 4 to BAs 2 flights a day more people overall ( direct and transfer) chose CX than BA even taking account of transfer traffic.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Donkitravel
Written by a lawyer, not proof read by a human being and and issued by a moron on behalf of a company that really doesn't give a ....
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Garry Bird has some tremendous accolades in his LinkedIn profile. It's almost enough to bring up my lunch.

A seasoned people manager with over 25 years of experience of leading successful teams, continually delivering and exceeding expectatons. Results driven, with a strong understanding of delivering and managing significant and complex change. Excellent record of significantly improving team and individual performance with strong stakeholder management skills.

Successfully delivered a number of change initiatives which have increased productivity and significantly reduced costs, reshaping parts of the organisation. Delivered various change management projects by working collaboratly with trade unions, ensuring the employees fully understand the rational and requirement for change.
Hope him and Cruz get a nice bonus this year and I do dearly hope Garry is reading this thread.
Marschel and davm666 like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Flying east is a different story though. BA do not compare well when compared to many Eastern outfits and I really can't imagine "choosing" BA over Singapore/Emirates/JAL/CK etc etc.
Flying west (which is what I do) BA are a solid option. Flying east? I'm surprised people choose BA in truth. There is nearly always a better option.
You keep saying this. But in truth it says more about you than about anything else.
Britflyer18 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:21 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Any chance WW Fleet and MF might get together and call for a strike in protest of the treatment of their fellow CC being axed with a days notice?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by travelwithross
Any chance WW Fleet and MF might get together and call for a strike in protest of the treatment of their fellow CC being axed with a days notice?
They wouldn't be able to as the HKG Base is a separate group.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by travelwithross
No chance at all, that would be unlawful.

The HKG crew have been given their legally required notice, they have just been stood down from operations and are not required to work during their notice period.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
No chance at all, that would be unlawful.

The HKG crew have been given their legally required notice, they have just been stood down from operations and are not required to work during their notice period.
Which AFAIK in HK is somewhere between 2 and 4 weeks. It is not a generous gesture in the least. HK is a 'right to work' kind of place, which means laying off employees is very simple and requires no consultation or rationale (not trying to be a lawyer, just based on my own experiences here).

I wish the cabin crew well.

The letter is very disappointing, and whilst BA may have felt the commercial need to close the hub it could clearly have been managed more politely. So, whilst I'm not convinced that 85 people's worth of hotels is that cheap in the city, I do recognise that local wages are high in comparison to the UK, and if BA was really in competition with Cathay for staff the additional non salary benefits may have been very high (e.g. Cathay pilots here are getting close to Ł10k a month of housing allowance, which I appreciate is far more than cabin crew would get, but shows the general direction, even if they are trying to get rid of these).
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Schwann
Garry Bird has some tremendous accolades in his LinkedIn profile. It's almost enough to bring up my lunch.

Hope him and Cruz get a nice bonus this year and I do dearly hope Garry is reading this thread.
clearly he’s better at initiatives than change(s) given the latter is singular. One is words, the other is action.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Peck. Spot on. That is BA 2018. Says it all.

Flytowhere.
In my experience, since the late 80s, English has decreased, not increased. The Co I worked for worked through a lot of HKG and Cantonese traders. We often had a few drinks with them. Back in the late 80s we could mostly make ourselves understood without translators, and we went to some, er, interesting restaurants.
After handover, politically some of the Cantonese who spoke a little English were forced to take a lower profile, and the mainland Govt approved characters did more trading. I have no idea about how the bribery worked.
There are now quite a few non-English speaking businesses, restaurants and shpos now.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by Globaliser
You keep saying this. But in truth it says more about you than about anything else.
Bit personal ?

Just saying why I believe what has happened has happened.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by littlevoices
Which AFAIK in HK is somewhere between 2 and 4 weeks. It is not a generous gesture in the least. HK is a 'right to work' kind of place, which means laying off employees is very simple and requires no consultation or rationale (not trying to be a lawyer, just based on my own experiences here)...
I don't think BA did it as a gesture, more likely to prevent disruption if the affected crew chose to walk out or strike.

Originally Posted by littlevoices
... I wish the cabin crew well ...
As do I, it is always sad to learn of people losing their jobs. It is not a pleasant experience, especially so if it comes out of the blue and there is little advance notice.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: BA EC
Ok if you guys remember this video
, I strongly recommend BA to remove this video from youtube.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Schwann

Jesus, that could have been lifted from a script for W1A. I’m cringing hard for him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.