Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to close HKG base [confirmed for Cabin Crew]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Print Wikipost

BA to close HKG base [confirmed for Cabin Crew]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:00 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
That letter is a disgrace.
gordon0808, wrp96 and royng like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Clearly they don't operate a decent profit while Cathay do.
Define decent? I suspect this route does very nicely for BA but for companies like this there will always be a push for improved profitability. Who knows what other profit generating ideas this was seen as a better option than?

Assuming positive intent one would hope BA have done research into their customer base on this route and decided that the Cantonese only speakers who do fly with them rather than Cathay can be looked after by UK based staff with the right mix of language skills. They may be right or may be wrong, only time will tell - however given the significant costs of redundancy for these staff I think we can assume someone has done the research and the maths and decided it is one of the better options they have for increasing margins. That doesn't mean they are doing badly on this route, just that it stands out as an attractive cost saving opportunity, if they wait until a route is doing badly to make these kinds of changes it is probably too late.

(I agree that the letter is overly blunt btw, but the decision itself doesn't seem too outrageous to me)
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:22 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

Time to rewatch this. Such a shame for BA to do this in such a manner.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its sad that for an area of the world which is financially growing, and the travel from the area increasing, that BA seem to feel the need to close the base. With a small amount of people affected I fail to see how BA are scrimping in relation to their profits or expected return from that region.
cupsandsaucers likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
It really is a shame. But again, not surprising.

BA are opening more routes to the USA all the time, because BA can compete with American carriers.
BA are a decent choice when compared to United/Delta/AA/Norwegian.

Flying east is a different story though. BA do not compare well when compared to many Eastern outfits and I really can't imagine "choosing" BA over Singapore/Emirates/JAL/CK etc etc.
Flying west (which is what I do) BA are a solid option. Flying east? I'm surprised people choose BA in truth. There is nearly always a better option. I don't know how BA will address this moving forward. But maybe they will just concentrate on Domestic / EU and pond hops?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Aegan Gold, British Airways Bronze
I really regret having booked my F flight with BA in January. It pains me that I'm supporting a company that would send such a callous letter.
Schwann and royng like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shameful letter. Regardless of the meeting that took place you don’t unintentionally write a letter of that nature, knowing full well it will leak. It’s intended as a warning to others...and instead will just erode the culture and behaviours further.

I’ve been involved in similar scale redundancies in countries with both fewer and far more employee protections and there was certainly no need for the letter to be worded that way.

And we as frequent flyers/collectors of miles might well remember that if the airline treats its employees this well, what will they do for us next?
SK, Prospero, AJLondon and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Swanhunter; Sep 26, 2018 at 5:52 am
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
It's shockingly blunt isn't it?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:47 am

Just surprising is all.
And not surprising that BA are closing down there.
That's what happens when you are consistently bested by a better product. Feel very bad for the BA staff.
Uh...you do understand that it’s the locally employed HKG crew base BA are closing, not the actual route??
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Skimo

Uh...you do understand that it’s the locally employed HKG crew base BA are closing, not the actual route??
yes I do
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:59 am

yes I do
Then why did you write what I quoted in my last post?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Skimo

Then why did you write what I quoted in my last post?
That I feel bad for the staff? That they are closing down their local base there? What??
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
BA are now trying to bury the bad new with the announcement of our new uniform designer, discussing disgraceful behaviour.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
It really is a shame. But again, not surprising.

BA are opening more routes to the USA all the time, because BA can compete with American carriers.
BA are a decent choice when compared to United/Delta/AA/Norwegian.

Flying east is a different story though. BA do not compare well when compared to many Eastern outfits and I really can't imagine "choosing" BA over Singapore/Emirates/JAL/CK etc etc.
Flying west (which is what I do) BA are a solid option. Flying east? I'm surprised people choose BA in truth. There is nearly always a better option. I don't know how BA will address this moving forward. But maybe they will just concentrate on Domestic / EU and pond hops?
Sorry but they don't compete with AA. Indeed they have had to get into a commercial agreement with them to share revenue. I would not by choice fly BA TATL when the option to fly AA777 /300 or indeed 200 was available. J product in particular wipes the floor with the clapped out 747 fleet.
mrow likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: BA GGL
Redundancy is a part of working life these days, I suspect not many people would ever consider themselves immune from it, or at least from the possibility.

That letter though makes grim reading, and reeks of a corporate hierarchy totally divorced from its workforce - there are clearly large swathe's of BA's HR and Finance functions that simply have no clue that the cabin and flight crew are the airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.