Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to close HKG base [confirmed for Cabin Crew]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Print Wikipost

BA to close HKG base [confirmed for Cabin Crew]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by Donkitravel
All their staff received the letter from BA. Bad news.
Does that include the call centre as well?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It’s only the cabin crew and they have all had their rosters stripped and won’t even have a chance to say goodbye to their friends in London, I cannot express my disgust in this company.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:49 am

Letter to staff

Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer

A skill I failed to master while married to my two ex-wives!
It's worse than you think in Japan - try reading this blog -> https://soranews24.com/2018/04/16/ev...gner-received/

It's the skill of being able to read things like this properly that BA are losing by closing their International crew bases.

I wonder how the closure will have an effect on Cathay's bottom line for high rev customers who want cantonese speaking staff ?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by mrploddy
Not to mention being able to read when a Japanese client is using tatemae as well - knowig when they are saying one thing and meaning something else.
I can understand that this might be a legitimate thing in social or business contexts, but if it's in answer to the question "Would you like the chicken or the beef?", I think the passenger only has himself to blame...
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by mrploddy
Yeah you're right but are those people really going to want to go and work for BA on the current starting salaries at London wages ?.

If someone has got any form of decent language skills ( by this I mean University level graduate / spent time in the country ) they will be able to get a job with a much higher stating salary than BA.

I am not well versed in Cantonese works but I can tell you that someone with GCSE / A-Level Japanese will NOT cut it in premium cabins trying to communicate to a high flying Japanese customer in their native language. Japanese has very complex speech patterns depending on who you are talking to and the most demanding customers can look down VERY much on the slightest language mistakes.

At the very simplest level you could say its like knowing how to say "Wanna drink?" vs "Would Sir care for a drink?".

Not to mention being able to read when a Japanese client is using tatemae as well - knowig when they are saying one thing and meaning something else.
On a Japanese carrier the expectations are extremely high, on a non-Japanese carrier the expectations will be that the staff are able to communicate with them. The Japanese don't care if a foreigner gets their sonkeigo and kenjougo mixed up, as long as they don't use slang or sound offensive.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
I guess this is the next route going to Mixed Fleet then.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Well short of walking up to the staff in the terminal and stripping them of their badge, that is about as blunt as it gets isn't it.

Last edited by Airprox; Sep 26, 2018 at 3:37 am Reason: spg
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs down

Charming.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:29 am

Strange decision. It's a very high yield route and they struggle against CX enough as it is. Cantonese is not an easy language to find outside the PRD so i don't know where BA is going to get 2 flights a day of fluent speakers from.

Thankfully airlines in the region are growing so quickly the crew shouldn't struggle to find new employers.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
That letter from Mr. Garry Bird certainly looks inept and unnecessarily blunt to the point of rudeness. We don't know if there was a meeting beforehand or some other form of communication, in which case it would be more understandable. I sincerely hope there is a support channel of some sort set up for those affected. These letters can't be sugar coated, it's bad news however you look at it, but it wouldn't have harmed to have spent 10 more minutes in phrasing it more kindly. And a paragraph mentioning the highlights of BA's HKG operations would not have gone amiss either. Dealing with bad news is part of life, but so is leaving with one's head held high.
SK, AJLondon, gordon0808 and 11 others like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:33 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
As per local papers, all 85 HK based CC (with 24 being contract) have been terminated, those rostered on tonight's departures were swapped out yesterday.

Per another local aviation forum the route will be going to MF afterwards.

While my memories of BA linger largely from the years as a kid and have now spent the past few years with CX, this is still quite disheartening and sad to hear about.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
How companies handle situations like this speaks volumes. That letter tells you all you need to know about BA in 2018.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That letter from Mr. Garry Bird certainly looks inept and unnecessarily blunt to the point of rudeness. We don't know if there was a meeting beforehand or some other form of communication, in which case it would be more understandable. I sincerely hope there is a support channel of some sort set up for those affected. These letters can't be sugar coated, it's bad news however you look at it, but it wouldn't have harmed to have spent 10 more minutes in phrasing it more kindly. And a paragraph mentioning the highlights of BA's HKG operations would not have gone amiss either. Dealing with bad news is part of life, but so is leaving with one's head held high.
I won’t go into detail for obvious reasons, but the meeting wasn’t much better than that letter. This sudden closure has sent shockwaves through the whole cabin crew community.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.