Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to close HKG base [confirmed for Cabin Crew]

BA to close HKG base [confirmed for Cabin Crew]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 29, 18, 2:12 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: sxc
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 26, 18, 7:56 pm
  #121  
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Gold, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 10,226
Originally Posted by truncated View Post
The Japan example is relevant because BA tried this before... they shifted LHR-HND to MF and tried hiring Japanese-speaking crew — but as CIHY points out (in post 11 of this thread) it failed since they couldn't hire or keep any decent speakers at the wages they were paying — so why would HKG/Cantonese be any different?
As a point of comparison CX has a London base so the relevant language skills can be found in the UK with a willingness to work on airlines. However I don’t know if the CX contract is more generous than the mixed fleet terms.
sxc is offline  
Old Sep 26, 18, 8:32 pm
  #122  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: YVR
Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Posts: 4,260
Originally Posted by truncated View Post
The Japan example is relevant because BA tried this before... they shifted LHR-HND to MF and tried hiring Japanese-speaking crew — but as CIHY points out (in post 11 of this thread) it failed since they couldn't hire or keep any decent speakers at the wages they were paying — so why would HKG/Cantonese be any different?

Also interesting how it seems you're saying we can't compare HK to Japan but we can compare London to Vancouver (or BA to AC)... And if we do want to compare BA to AC this would be something like staffing YYZ-HND with Rouge crew — wonder how that'd go down lol
Perhaps Japanese isn't as widely "expatted" for lack of a better term? I'm also not trying to directly compare AC/BA or Vancouver/London, I'm just saying we're not that far apart and here's what I see at Air Canada, no lack of foreign language FAs. Maybe the high rev Japanese businessmen hate flying AC for the same reason. It's entirely possible. The flights I've flown on, I've only really twice seen a struggle for a foreign language FA and that was just because only 1 was available in the economy cabin and she was in the wrong aisle. The other was for a Canto/Mandarin (I don't know the difference well enough to know for sure) speaker on a flight from YYZ-BOG where none would otherwise be required.

If YYZ-HND was Rouged, they'd be going after a different type of passenger, they wouldn't be after the high yielders. So unless BA is switching the route to an LCC/HD aircraft that has a lesser config or something, I can't really say I agree with the comparison.

All I'm saying is, if the numbers work for them, I can't say I disagree with the decision. Maybe it didn't work for Japan, perhaps they have reason to believe something is different for HK. Perhaps it's simply the cost to keep the HK staff and they wanna just roll the dice. I feel bad for the staff, but if I ever fly LHR-HKG, it won't affect me in the least, so if it's good for their business, I've got no issues.
drvannostren is offline  
Old Sep 26, 18, 8:43 pm
  #123  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: LAS TPE HND LHR
Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Posts: 5,361
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
British Airways axes entire Hong Kong crew ahead of shutting city base
https://sc.mp/2QZrN3h

Article has been updated with statements by the crew. Also noting that at the last analysts briefing BA called out the HKG route as challenging.
According to the article, the affected crew were only told about the meeting on Tuesday and then immediately fired on Wednesday. Yikes.
gengar is offline  
Old Sep 26, 18, 8:55 pm
  #124  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat., IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Plat.
Posts: 9
From a general UK public standpoint, this will probably result in good publicity for BA.

’BA SUPPORTS ECONOMY BY BRINGING 100 JOBS BACK TO THE UK’ etc. etc.
therewardconcierge is offline  
Old Sep 26, 18, 9:10 pm
  #125  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: YVR
Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Posts: 4,260
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
According to the article, the affected crew were only told about the meeting on Tuesday and then immediately fired on Wednesday. Yikes.
The article basically echoed my thoughts. It's a neutral article, which I feel like some of the posters haven't been and that's where I'm coming at it from.

I don't really care that BA is doing this, it's just HOW they did it that bothers me. Right at the end of the article it mentions the same thing happening in Singapore with 6 months notice. That's almost overkill imo, but kudos to them for doing it right that time, extra demerit points for having done it right before and STILL doing it wrong this time.

These flights until the end of the month will be interesting. I can only assume there'll be lots of sick calls and some no call no shows. I'm not totally sure what the ratio numbers are, but I'm thinking most airlines don't carry more FAs than they need, so it'll be kinda disastrous for an HK FA to no call no show since it'll sort of strand the plane until someone else can be brought in to operate the flight no? Or would they just boot off whatever number of passengers they need to make the ratio work? My guess is to avoid having that happen, they'll have an extra LHR based FA or two ride along for exactly this situation.

Originally Posted by therewardconcierge View Post
From a general UK public standpoint, this will probably result in good publicity for BA.

’BA SUPPORTS ECONOMY BY BRINGING 100 JOBS BACK TO THE UK’ etc. etc.
Well, I agree that it's slimy to get publicity THIS way...but are they wrong? They're presumably gonna fill those 100 spots with Britons.

Last edited by drvannostren; Sep 26, 18 at 9:20 pm
drvannostren is offline  
Old Sep 26, 18, 9:13 pm
  #126  
amt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: HKG
Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Posts: 596
No wonder the service in F was so mediocre on the HKG-LHR Sunday night if rumors were circulating of job losses. Though today’s LHR-SFO was absolutely abysmal.

Pathetic... especially after the whole song and dance celebrating the anniversary of service and commitment to HK about a year.

This bloody airline gets worse and worse by the day.
amt is offline  
Old Sep 27, 18, 12:33 am
  #127  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Programs: BA Executive Club
Posts: 67
Originally Posted by sxc View Post

As a point of comparison CX has a London base so the relevant language skills can be found in the UK with a willingness to work on airlines. However I don’t know if the CX contract is more generous than the mixed fleet terms.
I believe the employment conditions for CX are English and an Asian language though, not necessarily Cantonese.
Kip64 is offline  
Old Sep 27, 18, 1:47 am
  #128  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: BA Exec Gold, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 68
I'm very loyal to BA but the behavior here of the management and the way they delivered this message to the crew so bluntly has shocked me. This is a new low.

There are reports on the Business Traveller forum that crew who had landed in from LHR found out the news on their phones when waiting by the baggage carousel after their flight and were very upset and crying. It's a real disgrace and i feel very sorry for all affected. Appalling HR/People management and really hope the crew can find new roles soon.
IslingtonFlyer is offline  
Old Sep 27, 18, 3:33 am
  #129  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 637
Another decision by the current Management team to look at cost, rather than value. It stinks.
Forever in Seattle is offline  
Old Sep 27, 18, 4:13 am
  #130  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Programs: MR Platinum
Posts: 64
Originally Posted by InsomniaBA View Post
They were.
seems commenting for all videos on BA's channel has been disabled.
CS300 is offline  
Old Sep 27, 18, 5:15 am
  #131  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Posts: 2,076
Originally Posted by IslingtonFlyer View Post
I'm very loyal to BA but the behavior here of the management and the way they delivered this message to the crew so bluntly has shocked me. This is a new low.

There are reports on the Business Traveller forum that crew who had landed in from LHR found out the news on their phones when waiting by the baggage carousel after their flight and were very upset and crying. It's a real disgrace and i feel very sorry for all affected. Appalling HR/People management and really hope the crew can find new roles soon.
If (and at this moment in time it's probably a big if) that is how they found out then it is a total disgrace.
South London Bon Viveur is offline  
Old Sep 27, 18, 5:50 am
  #132  
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Norwich, UK
Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 6,436
Originally Posted by amt View Post
Pathetic... especially after the whole song and dance celebrating the anniversary of service and commitment to HK about a year.
This. I went to the exhibition in HK to celebrate the 80 years because I happened to be in the city at the time. Massive amount of self back-slapping, a senior regional manager in attendance, one of BA's flagship routes, blah, blah, blah.

The video others have highlighted was, I think, released at the same time - I'm sure it was playing in the exhibition.

Measured against that fanfare, this is simply a shameful way to behave.
NWIFlyer is offline  
Old Sep 27, 18, 6:10 am
  #133  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Posts: 8,654
That letter is truly very bad in my view, very crass and blunt indeed.

In my early 20's I was in the construction industry and it was sometimes the case to be given a weeks notice as it was back then but it was well known. To treat these BA employees, some of whom will have no doubt been with BA for years and years, decades perhaps, is beyond words.

If it was for commercial reasons I can see in business these things happen, however it's the way has been done. The BA brand is most definitely more tarnished in my view in this regard.

Call me cynical in my older age but they seem to be trying to bury this news with much more reported other news in recent days and weeks, far more announcements than usual.

There's a fine balance to being prudent as a company versus actually treating people as real human beings which BA on this particular issue have made a real insensitive mess of.

British Airways Media Centre

Double Avios Offer
Magical Christmas Market offer
HRH
New Uniform
Osaka Route announcement
PETER01 is offline  
Old Sep 27, 18, 7:44 am
  #134  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,187
Originally Posted by tiltslope View Post
Profile owner just shortened the last name. Seasoned enough to hide a little. Linkedin

Can't even access the profile anymore, looks like the owner shut it down
JALlover is offline  
Old Sep 27, 18, 8:51 am
  #135  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6,334
Originally Posted by JALlover View Post
Can't even access the profile anymore, looks like the owner shut it down
Still works for me.
simons1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: