Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to close HKG base [confirmed for Cabin Crew]

Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Print Wikipost

BA to close HKG base [confirmed for Cabin Crew]

Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cdgbear
I wonder if the trend will affect NRT base cabin crew. I understand NRT crew earn approx GBP 50000 a year....
soon, soon, id say.
maybe within a year or 2

Last edited by kaka; Oct 1, 2018 at 11:38 am
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Jagboi
At least one person had been with BA for 32 years. Probably not the easiest to change jobs at that point in life.
That is certainly sad on a human level. But you do understand that almost nobody is living in a world that guarantees lifetime employment anymore, in this day and age.

Regards
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by kaka
soon, soon, id say.
maybe within a year or 2
How short a memory you have. BA accepted a couple of years ago that having local crew on Tokyo was so important that they voluntarily increased costs massively by moving back to WW on HND so the ICC could work both flights.

My hunch - based on nothing more than observation from FT - is that BA will use the base closures (and threat of more) to extract concessions from the remaining crews finally allowing them to work with MF. At least Japan and India.

I also wonder about the effect of the new China-based crew. It was a huge publicity move in China, smoothing the waters for rights to increase PVG frequencies, and of course HKG (and Cantonese in general) are a thorn in the side of the Chinese government. Could this be part of it?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
First time I hear of ICC crew not being able to work with MF - yet they do operate CAI with MF, and there were comments earlier in the thread about the importance of giving ICC crew the time to speak at crew briefings especially on MF?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Confus

How short a memory you have. BA accepted a couple of years ago that having local crew on Tokyo was so important that they voluntarily increased costs massively by moving back to WW on HND so the ICC could work both flights.

My hunch - based on nothing more than observation from FT - is that BA will use the base closures (and threat of more) to extract concessions from the remaining crews finally allowing them to work with MF. At least Japan and India.

I also wonder about the effect of the new China-based crew. It was a huge publicity move in China, smoothing the waters for rights to increase PVG frequencies, and of course HKG (and Cantonese in general) are a thorn in the side of the Chinese government. Could this be part of it?
lets see. hope the pax dont abuse the crew so bad. one time on a hkglhr flight so many chinese were causing trouble by disobeying the seat assignments
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I was made redundant a couple of times and also received such letters. Seems they have to follow procedures laid down by law when it comes to such things. It may seem crass but when large numbers are involved it's the only way. Can't speak for HK law but in the UK employers have strict rules to follow depending on the employees length of service etc.
The whole process is usually carried out by someone the employee has never heard of before never mind met. The sympathetic stuff comes off the record from your own bosses.
I had almost the same letter from a Chinese company making me redundant, with a similar notice period. This is the modern way of business I think.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
From the South China Morning Post https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-workers-after (PUBLISHED : Thursday, 04 October, 2018, 6:13pm UPDATED : Friday, 05 October, 2018, 12:32am, undoubtedly HK time).

British Airways’ senior managers and sacked Hong Kong workers reach agreement after tense negotiations.
Dismissed British Airways Hong Kong cabin crew and the airline settled key grievances on Thursday as axed staff were granted more time to sign termination agreements.
In crunch talks that went late into the night, representatives for Britain’s national airline flown in from London agreed to giving ...an extra week for flight attendants to sign off on leaving the airline in return for a severance package – a deadline of October 11. On top of that, BA agreed to provide a partial breakdown of the redundancy package on offer.
An earlier sit-in protest outside the airline’s downtown office in Sheung Wan on Hong Kong Island culminated in a two-hour negotiation between the airline and unions at the Labour Department offices in Kwai Hing.
Asked how the meeting went when she emerged for a short break at 9.30pm, Carol Ng Man-yee, general secretary of the BA Hong Kong International Cabin Crew Association, replied: “Nasty.”
At 10.30pm, all cabin crew waiting outside the mediation were invited in for a briefing. Several minutes later, dismissed employees walked out with smiles on their faces, happy with the outcome of the meeting.
“We believe a further extension of one week is sufficient for everyone to seek legal advice accordingly,” said Ng, who led the talks for her dismissed colleagues, signalling one of the big grievances following the redundancy announcement was overcome.
On the calls for clarity on the payouts to staff, Ng stressed her members were not seeking more money, but rather transparency.
In an emailed statement, a British Airways spokeswoman said: “We have listened to feedback from our colleagues, and in their best interest have agreed to extend the deadline.”
Among the offer to crew includes a “generous” redundancy package – in some cases worth up to HK$700,000. It was providing a financial breakdown of the lump sum payments to employees too.
Initially, permanent staff were given until last Saturday – three days after being axed – to accept compensation terms. If they did not agree in time, they would only get the minimum required under Hong Kong labour laws.
As a backlash mounted last week, the airline said it would revise an ex gratia payment and extend the deadline for the attendants to accept the separation offer to Friday.
At least they made BA blink and treat them slightly better even if they're still out of a job. Good on them for achieving that.

This remains far from BA's finest hour.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
relatively good news, especially as the fund-raising effort by BASSA appears to have stalled at around Ł76k. However, the Ł88,888 target was oerhaps a bit ambitious.

Best wishes to the HK staff, and a muted ‘thank you’ to BA.
kaka likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ng-kong-accept

HK companies typically "offset" the severance package by using the employee's MPF (pension fund). It is really good that BA did not and that was a sticky point.
Union seems happy.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by brunos

HK companies typically "offset" the severance package by using the employee's MPF (pension fund). It is really good that BA did not and that was a sticky point.
Union seems happy.
seems like some can move to the london base too
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by brunos

Union seems happy.
I dont know of any Western companies in HK that do this so it would have been mighty cheeky of BA to try it.
kaka likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1010101
I dont know of any Western companies in HK that do this so it would have been mighty cheeky of BA to try it.
ba was even trying to conviniently pay less on severence by disregarding allowances in the calculations. so i think someone in hk hr decided to do that.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:01 pm

Please consider a donation - now

With almost GBP 80,000 raised for the sacked HKG-based cabin crew, there's still a few days to go to reach the goal of GBP 88K.

If you haven't donated already, I ask you - as a passenger with no relationship to BA or its staff -- to consider doing so, especially those of you who have frequented the HKG route.

You can do so here: https://www.gofundme.com/help-suppor...d-ba-hkg-crew?

If you would like to hear longtime HKG-based BA crew member Carol Ng explain the situation from her point of view, you can find a five minute video on the Go Fund Me site.

Whatever your views on management's actions, there is no question that many of us have enjoyed the professionalism and kindness of the HKG based cabin crew as passengers for years, and they need our help.

Please take a few minutes to donate a few pounds to a group of people who have safely brought us to and from the wonderful city of Hong Kong for many, many years.

Thank you in advance, from this grateful passenger.

Joe

Last edited by nyjoe4; Oct 20, 2018 at 12:02 pm Reason: typos
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:42 pm

Well said, and I hope our community will provide a few more pennies in appreciation.
I'm looking forward to my next Oz F trip on Monday moved to another OW carrier on the off chance that BA will feel the miniscule pin-prick of my lack of custom (I did ask the BA Exec agent to put a note in my carrier change) but I'm sure my small donation is the more effective gesture!
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Carol Ng speaking at the 2018 ITF Conference in Singapore.

kaka likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.