Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to close HKG base [confirmed for Cabin Crew]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Print Wikipost

BA to close HKG base [confirmed for Cabin Crew]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: Meh
Having kept my BA flights to 4 the last few years for some reason I gave BA a go again. In November I fly in J...
LHR-HKG-HND-LHR
LHR-BOM-LHR

Taking these flights in the next few weeks. I go to HKG 6 times a year and have used CX exclusively for the last few years.

I had to cancel my credit card while in Korea, and now I read this thread.

BA does not care about people, employees or customers. That letter is a disgrace.

I will never fly BA to HKG again. In fact I will only fly 4 times a year again going forward.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
this too did prompt me to swap my two upcoming BA flights LHR-HKG in F to CX.

hack away at all euro-services, hack away at longhaul service...but treating the people who work for you like humans, who deserve some form of decency, and do the opposite is the last straw.
stevie likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:28 am

From what I understand, this week, there's been a variety of consultations announced across a swathe of departments in Waterside.

Still an utterly disgraceful way to treat the Hong Kong based crew. However given the way the EZE and GRU bases were treated, it was inevitable. Presumably the India based ICC are next?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Landed in HKG this morning with presumably one of the last groups of downroute HKG based crew, plus many more in civvies deadheading (who all met up in baggage reclaim).

Captain specifically called out the HKG crew in tribute in his closing remarks, a nice touch to some very hard done by folk.
SK, flygirl68, gengar and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Was trying to post a link of our crew protest in Hong Kong but able to do so.

Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by Can I help you

https://www.facebook.com/HKCCF1300/v...7861656623489/
covered in the SCMP

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...test-hong-kong
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Facebook link is what I wanted to post, it is so upsetting seeing one of my colleagues upset, disgraceful treatment by our management.
flygirl68, RoyalSwazi and argonath like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
This is APPALLING. Down right unacceptable way to treat veteran employees who have been offering unique service and language capabilities for many years - surely helping BA compete with CX over the years for HK based customers.

Whilst BA has a right to close a costly base if it chooses to do so, the manner and speed with which this has been conducted is completely unacceptable. Just because you are an employee based abroad should not mean your company can dump you at a moment notice. Despite the local laws, these crew members deserved more from BA. Shame on you BA. You continue to fall in every manner.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Having been fired myself with immediate effect due to a restructure (and whilst on probation) last year I can completely empathise.

That letter and the manner in which this has been delivered is completely disgraceful, no matter what the longer-term commercial merits are. The total failure to see the individuals and their livelihood at the centre of all of this makes me lost for words.

I don’t normally chip in on pros/cons of BA’s ‘behaviour’ (though respect those that do) but the way this has been dished out, with so little compassion is on another level. It is sad to see any organisation which thinks this kind of thing is OK.

I really feel feel for all concerned, those dedicated crew based in HK who now need to find another job, but also the staff that remain and who must be finding things extremely difficult right now. My thoughts are with you all.
Prospero and RoyalSwazi like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:46 am

Disgraceful, once again BA's finest asset is *h*t upon by management with zero concern for employee rights/concerns..
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by CX828
This is APPALLING. Down right unacceptable way to treat veteran employees who have been offering unique service and language capabilities for many years - surely helping BA compete with CX over the years for HK based customers.

Whilst BA has a right to close a costly base if it chooses to do so, the manner and speed with which this has been conducted is completely unacceptable. Just because you are an employee based abroad should not mean your company can dump you at a moment notice. Despite the local laws, these crew members deserved more from BA. Shame on you BA. You continue to fall in every manner.
I suspect that many here share your sentiments, but do you honestly, honestly think that Alex 'n' Willie and their minions actually really give a damn. All they really care about is their own jobs and bonuses and the fact they will leave behind a hollowed out shell is of no interest to them.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those two managers were just there to keep the UK based departing crew away from the sacked crew and were highjacked and totally out of their depth.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver

https://www.facebook.com/HKCCF1300/v...7861656623489/

That was very hard to watch. Spineless and disengenuous of BA, either the bloke represents BA mangement or he doesn’t, hiding behind doublespeak hardly helps. No Garry B to be seen, of course, seemingly he’s sent in others to do his dirty work, he’s probably too busy restructuring something else or hiding his Linkedin profile again. “We understand”, they say. Somehow I doubt that very much.

Last edited by Howard Long; Sep 28, 2018 at 12:43 pm
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In fairness those two managers are very nice people but totally out of the depth and are just there as sacrificial lambs, they are not the henchman.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
In fairness those two managers are very nice people but totally out of the depth and are just there as sacrificial lambs, they are not the henchman.
I’ve amended my post accordingly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.