Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Tube strike Piccadilly line - next date 7-8 November 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tube strike Piccadilly line - next date 7-8 November 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Exclamation Tube strike Piccadilly line - next date 7-8 November 2018

Piccadilly line drivers are planning to hold a 48-hour walk-out this week which is expected to shut down the entire Tube line. Members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport union are due to launch the lengthy walkout from Wednesday until Friday.

According to the union, there has been a complete breakdown of industrial relations and Transport for London has since warned there will be little or no service if the strike action goes ahead. If [the strike] goes ahead, there will be no service on the Piccadilly line from early afternoon on Wednesday 26 September until the afternoon of Friday 28 September.

Source: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/tran...-a3943666.html
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Piccadilly line drivers are planning to hold a 48-hour walk-out this week which is expected to shut down the entire Tube line. Members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport union are due to launch the lengthy walkout from Wednesday until Friday.

According to the union, there has been a complete breakdown of industrial relations and Transport for London has since warned there will be little or no service if the strike action goes ahead. If [the strike] goes ahead, there will be no service on the Piccadilly line from early afternoon on Wednesday 26 September until the afternoon of Friday 28 September.

Source: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/tran...-a3943666.html
Yeah, heard about this last night and am hoping something gets sorted out. Otherwise I might have to break the habit of a lifetime and take the HEX

Have an 8pm flight and not sure I want to rely on the Pic line getting back to a reliable service in time...
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:31 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/tube-strike
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
LHR T4 to Central London and return

As luck would have it, my wife and I are staying at LHR T4 Premier Inn, on Friday, when the tube strike is on. We have to get to central London to meet son for dinner, so assuming tube trains aren't running, I thought of taking bus to Feltham, then train to Waterloo, as the HEX is ridiculously expensive. Does anyone know if senior rail cards are valid on HEX? Any other suggestions?

Of course, if we leave T4 at about 3pm and return before 10pm, we might just do it on the tube?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:30 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by botham
As luck would have it, my wife and I are staying at LHR T4 Premier Inn, on Friday, when the tube strike is on. We have to get to central London to meet son for dinner, so assuming tube trains aren't running, I thought of taking bus to Feltham, then train to Waterloo, as the HEX is ridiculously expensive. Does anyone know if senior rail cards are valid on HEX? Any other suggestions?

Of course, if we leave T4 at about 3pm and return before 10pm, we might just do it on the tube?
All railcards are valid on HEX expect for the cheap advance fares. They might also still be running the Duo offer which works out at a similar amount.

It'll still make for an expensive dinner compared to the tube I'm afraid!

You could also consider a bus (or possibly buses from T4) to Hayes & Harlington then a train into Paddington, which at least puts you in Zone 1. This works on Oyster/Contactless, and if you have a Senior Citizen bus pass obviously that part will be free - thereby producing a considerable saving on starting on TfL rail from Heathrow.
botham likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Use the Heathrow connect (now called TFL Rail) instead of the HEX - much cheaper. You can also change to the Central line at Ealing Broadway as well

I wouldn't rely on their being much of a service on the Piccadilly line Friday afternoon / evening as it will take time to ramp up the service after the strike and to tamp it down so trains are back at their depots before the next one starts.
botham likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by botham

Feltham is simplest from there assuming you're okay going to Waterloo ... The Piccadilly Line will be a mess even if it is still running on Friday afternoon after having been disrupted beforehand and due to go off again later. [ It seems in recent years like the unions have worked out that having your 24 or 48 hour stoppage not run from midnight to midnight is a good way to disrupt even more days ! ]

Anyway .. The 490 bus stops over the road ( not sure how easy to get to , but if not you can walk to the terminal and get it there ) from the Premier Inn .. Fairly frequent and gets you to Feltham Station in about 10 minutes ( little extra time if the traffic is very busy, but it's rarely that awful as there's lots of bus lanes ) .. 4 fast or fast-ish trains an hour to Waterloo from there , if you play your cards right you can do it all in about 45 minutes .. 60 minutes more realistically .. I'd definitely do that.
botham likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
Anyway .. The 490 bus stops over the road ( not sure how easy to get to , but if not you can walk to the terminal and get it there ) from the Premier Inn .. .
It's easy to get to the bus stop, get the lift down to the car park, go out the door, turn left, up a few steps and it's there across the road to the left.

Other direction is about 50 yards to the right.
botham likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
HEX definitely making the most of it with frequent (and loud) announcements about the tickets don't accept. I bet they've made a hefty profit. Had to miss one train as it was overcrowded (with a whole carriage unused as the doors wouldn't open). The one I got 20 mins later was similarly full.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:08 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
According the the link posted above, TfL will accept paper tube tickets on TfL Rail, but contactless payments will incur the usual payment. SW Trains are also accepting paper tube tickets. You may find a machine in T4 that will do the needful. However there is an ambiguous line about refunds (we're not doing them but we might) for contactless.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Various private contractors have been engaged to run the replacement buses and some of them are operating original Routemasters. So if you have spare time you can take a Routemaster from Central London towards Heathrow Airport like it's the 1960s.
adrianlondon and Horatio like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
HEX definitely making the most of it with frequent (and loud) announcements about the tickets don't accept. I bet they've made a hefty profit. Had to miss one train as it was overcrowded (with a whole carriage unused as the doors wouldn't open). The one I got 20 mins later was similarly full.
Hmm. Thinking about alternatives. Maybe District to Richmond or Acton then a cab/Uber.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by Horatio
Hmm. Thinking about alternatives. Maybe District to Richmond or Acton then a cab/Uber.
How about 105 bus to Southall station and GWR to Paddington? Ł4.30. Quite quick too.

Or VV.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Does anyone know if the TFL train (ex Heathrow Connect) departs from a particular platform? I will be catching it this afternoon and would like to board asap if it is going to busy. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.