Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Life jackets - is BA finally moving with the times?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others

Mrs PtF and I flew BA870 LHR BUD last Thursday; included in the safety video were those words we must have heard a thousand times - ‘Pass the tapes around your waist and tie them securely in a double bow at the side’.

On last nights BA869 BUD LHR there were no video screens (a virtually new A320 G-TTNC); the safety demonstration was given manually, and lo and behold, no more tied tapes - just a simple ‘click’ to fasten the life jacket around your waist.

I’ve experienced this sort of life jacket on other airlines many times, and always thought BA was behind the times with their old-fashioned method of fastening the life jacket. Is this a recent innovation, or has it been in place for some time (I did search FT BAEC Forum, but couldn’t find anything)?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Is this a recent innovation, or has it been in place for some time?
I'm pretty sure it's recent (I think they perhaps came with the NEOs?). I'm less sure that it's a good idea. But I am more sure that the merits of the dumbed-down version won't often have to be put to the test.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Goad to see things moving forward. Those clip fasteners are pretty robust ... if you look at current British Army personal combat equipment you’ll find the whole assembly is held together with them!
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:55 am

I've always wondered how many people understand the double bow instruction. If you consider people whose first language isn't English, those who weren't paying attention to the video and those who can't tie a single bow (increasinly common apparently in these shoelace-free times) I'm guessing there's quite a few. Then add in the panic and stress of any situation requiring lifejackets and I think even fewer would get it right.

I would think the clip is a more obvious and therefore more consistently applied fastening. But whether a clip is better or worse than a proper double bow, I've no idea.
wrp96 and Oaxaca like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: BA
This is the new life jacket which is only on the NEOs.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The "double bow" issue is problematic for those who may not be proficient in English (or are less than proficient, as "double bow" is not a common term), people who lack dexterity, people who may panic, and many others. Clips are straightforward and their operation is obvious and not language-dependent.
royng and Oaxaca like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:16 am

I always thought the double bow concept was an outrageously complicated idea for a life vest. How have they not been changed to a buckle? I have never seen any other airline having this.
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:26 am

Presumably pros of the double bow solution are:

- Quicker to adjust to a snug fit
- One less component that may fail in the event that it is needed
- Marginal weight saving
- Marginal cost saving - although this may not be the case if the clip versions are more widely produced
- Potentially marginally more room in the package size for alternate components (light, whistle) or for a bigger than average jacket
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:52 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EMA ON BA
Presumably pros of the double bow solution are:

- Quicker to adjust to a snug fit
I can't really see that it makes any difference. On the clip version you just pull the fabric 'belt' to tighten it.

Surely the downside of a double bow is that there is a higher chance it will come undone, or maybe catch on something as you try to evacuate an aircraft?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:08 am

Here's a test to see how closely you were listening to the demo. What else has changed on the life jackets? Answers on a postcard.........

no whistle to attract passing sailors.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by T8191
Goad to see things moving forward. Those clip fasteners are pretty robust ... if you look at current British Army personal combat equipment you’ll find the whole assembly is held together with them!
mom not so sure the ones I’ve seen on other airlines are quite as robust as the ones we use, but then again they will be only used once and not on a daily basis in austere environments.
T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It may be an apocryphal tale, but ISTR the double bow was to prevent someone in a panic undoing and stealing your lifejacket!
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bwaflyer

... no whistle to attract passing sailors.
It was only a select few who were interested anyway.
wrp96, mtikky, nancypants and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Those life vests are pretty flimsy, and the clip is definitely not something I would choose to use as part of the safety line on my sailing yacht.

There are a few of advantages of a double bow over a clip that immediately spring to mind.

Clip can be 'half done' and come off, if you are rushing
Clip can break
It can catch on something
You can forget to tighten the clip and thus render the life vest pretty useless as it will bob up above your head and tangle you up if it's too lose

Of course, there are advantages of a clip over double bow on strips, like being faster, easier, you can't knot it wrong, etc.

Ideally of course the life jacket should be personal ELB-equipped with a hood, 275N, etc... etc.. or great big, bulky foam ones that cannot be accidentally deflated
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Sep 25, 2018 at 7:55 am
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by T8191
It was only a select few who were interested anyway.
i shall have to ensure I have a whistle on my person for such purposes in future then.
Jagboi and T8191 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.