BA launch LCY-MUC from Feb 2019

Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
BA launch LCY-MUC from Feb 2019

It would appear from Feb 2019 BA Cityflyer will operate three daily services to MUC from LCY using E190s. I wonder what other destinations will follow.

Source: BA.com - trying to book a flight

Edit: Schedules here: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...-mid-feb-2019/
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue, Radisson, Accor
Interesting as the schedule as published seems to mean that the plane arrives in Munich on a Saturday at 10.55 and departs on the Sunday just after midday. They going to run ski charters with the downtime or is there something else planned?
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Finally! MUC has been a gap in LCY service for a while, especially as there is also no LH service at LCY and no BA or LH service at LGW either - only EasyJet from LGW or Heathrow.

I'm surprised it is BA and not LH starting this route - MUC is a neat connection hub for LH, so would think they had more interest in picking up the City traffic (though perhaps they wager the long-haul traffic from City is largely Westbound to the US and not connecting through MUC and/or they are happy to connect passengers through FRA instead...).

Anyway, good news and fills out what I have always seen as an obvious gap in the LCY destinations.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
Originally Posted by ratypus
Finally! MUC has been a gap in LCY service for a while, especially as there is also no LH service at LCY and no BA or LH service at LGW either - only EasyJet from LGW or Heathrow.

I'm surprised it is BA and not LH starting this route - MUC is a neat connection hub for LH, so would think they had more interest in picking up the City traffic (though perhaps they wager the long-haul traffic from City is largely Westbound to the US and not connecting through MUC and/or they are happy to connect passengers through FRA instead...).

Anyway, good news and fills out what I have always seen as an obvious gap in the LCY destinations.
LH operated it with a Q400 for a few years.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by martin102
Interesting as the schedule as published seems to mean that the plane arrives in Munich on a Saturday at 10.55 and departs on the Sunday just after midday. They going to run ski charters with the downtime or is there something else planned?
So Saturday could perhaps see LCY-MUC-STN-XXX-STN and Sunday STN-XXX-STN-MUC-LCY.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Sep 25, 2018 at 4:14 am
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by citiflyerUK
thanks, didn't know that - must have pre-dated my days of being interested in getting to and from MUC quickly!
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
Or the aircraft could be stopping in MUC, as it does in DUS?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
The weekday schedule is very doable with all three rotations being operated by a MUC nightstopping aircraft. Shame the first flight of the day LCY-MUC is not a tad earlier.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:30 am

for the real early birds there's a 7am from LHR though - the LCY early departure still allows a relatively leisurely morning start in London (arriving at LCY at 7.30 ish) and still gets you into Munich city centre by 12 so not too bad
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:45 am

Would have been too good if they had announced a refurb of the MUC lounge alongside this

Last edited by sula__; Sep 25, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Originally Posted by citiflyerUK
it ended Oct 2012.
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...ervice-in-w12/

if LH could not use it for P2P and still feed the hub, can BA sustain it?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold
With the continued BA expansion at LCY, is there any chance they will open a lounge?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Ambassador
Yasssssss! I've been hoping this route would return for ages. Thanks BA!
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by NeilP
With the continued BA expansion at LCY, is there any chance they will open a lounge?
This has been done to death. If you arrive more than 30 minutes prior to departure time, you are wasting your time. Hence, no need for a lounge

Yes, there is a (small) connecting operation where people may be better served by a lounge, but it is so insignificant versus the P2P travelers. I will typically take a ZRH-LCY-GLA twice per year, but even then I am on the 30 minutes MCT, so again no need for a lounge.

That is before considering the number of eligible passengers travelling through LCY at any one time - the number of gold/silver tags on show tells me that they lounge space required would almost need the majority of the current terminal space to provide any reasonable lounge offering. Unless we restrict lounge access at LCY to the real frequent flyers, such as CCR cardholders only? Even GGLs are fairly "common", especially on the BACF type routes.

If you need/want a lounge, LHR should be able to provide what you need. If you wish to have the absolute minimum time spent in the airport, LCY is for you
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rossmacd
...restrict lounge access at LCY to the real frequent flyers, such as CCR cardholders only...
Yes, It would be great to have a little bar to enjoy a quick refreshment before jetting off.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.