Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check baggage through on a 23 hr layover?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Check baggage through on a 23 hr layover?

Flying Naples to lgw landing at 1240 pm and departing lgw to tpa next day at 1230 pm. Can we have our luggage go all the way to Tampa or do we need to pick it up in London? Thanks
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:03 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It can go all the way through. It wouldn't surprise me if the NAP agent thinks you are mad to leave it overnight in LGW, but by 10 minutes you are inside the requisite deadline and it's a perfectly sensible thing to do. If you are staying in a hotel near LGW you have another unusual option, you can retrieve the bag in LGW, take it to the hotel to get whatever you need there, then re-check the back between about 16:00 hrs to 21:00 hrs in the pre-check service that LGW offers.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It can go all the way through. It wouldn't surprise me if the NAP agent thinks you are mad to leave it overnight in LGW, but by 10 minutes you are inside the requisite deadline and it's a perfectly sensible thing to do. If you are staying in a hotel near LGW you have another unusual option, you can retrieve the bag in LGW, take it to the hotel to get whatever you need there, then re-check the back between about 16:00 hrs to 21:00 hrs in the pre-check service that LGW offers.
thanks. I’m traveling with wife and three kids, so plenty of luggage. We’re only in London for 23.5 hrs (one ticket) so the thought of waiting and then lugging 4 checked bags through London to the hotel makes me want to cancel the trip lol. I’ll speak to them at the airport. We’re also flying business on both legs; so not sure if that makes any difference
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
You are completely entitled to have your bags checked all the way - that is indeed the default, I believe.
omaralt likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by omaralt

thanks. I’m traveling with wife and three kids, so plenty of luggage. We’re only in London for 23.5 hrs (one ticket) so the thought of waiting and then lugging 4 checked bags through London to the hotel makes me want to cancel the trip lol. I’ll speak to them at the airport. We’re also flying business on both legs; so not sure if that makes any difference
There is a left luggage facility at LGW here
which may appeal - should you need it - rather than lugging them to your hotel.

The BA evening before bag drop is open

16.00 - 22.00 (see bag drop section} but if you arrive at 12.40 you may not want to hang about for that service to open and miss some time in London,
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
There is a left luggage facility at LGW here
which may appeal - should you need it - rather than lugging them to your hotel.

The BA evening before bag drop is open

16.00 - 22.00 (see bag drop section} but if you arrive at 12.40 you may not want to hang about for that service to open and miss some time in London,
thanks but why do any of those if I can simply have them checked through?
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
to be prepared in case they don't get checked through.
omaralt likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: BA/VS Gold
I was under the impression that airports only store bags for less than 12 hours?

24 hours certainly seems like a long time!
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by easyflyer1
I was under the impression that airports only store bags for less than 12 hours?
Different airports - sometimes, different terminals in the same airport - can have different rules.

24 hours is also the limit at LHR T5, if anyone needs to know.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by easyflyer1
It really depends on the airport and the airline, usually more a function of airline restrictions than anything else. For example US carriers will usually only check through 12 hours, but BA will definitely check through for up to 24 hours as long as it's on one ticket.
omaralt likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.