Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA at London-Gatwick 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Thanks for that, Akoz. I'm sure in time we will discover what the Dom>Int and Int>Dom Connections arrangements are. For now I am content to be as confused as usual!
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
Well the reclaim will be 'sort of' new. They're either building a new wall or knocking one down I can't remember off the top of my head but it's the opposite to how it is currently.
Not sure that is quite right, reading through the current 5 year plan document - it would be a NEW baggage area and belt. The wall separating the existing domestic one would then be removed and it transferred to internationals to fill 2022 projected capacity shortfall. The same document also suggest that this work is due to be completed by summer 2019.

Last edited by Akoz; Feb 1, 2019 at 8:48 am
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I ahall follow the signs in a sheep-like manner until I unravel the reality!
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:40 pm

Coming into land last week at LGW caught sight the progressing new building works to the east side of pier 1. From what I've seen of the planning documents this is the new baggage reclaim area (access would by via the doors opposite gate 5 as per my photo above) with handlers drop off area below. Wasn't quick enough with the phone to take a picture though, (be nice if someone is in a window (F) seat soon).

From what I've heard it's due to be opening in July this year.
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:40 am

I've found a little more for the new domestic arrivals route/reclaim for anyone that's interested.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Location of the Proposed Development
The main part of the development is located on the eastern elevation of Pier 1, in the area between the Pier, Concorde House and the Boiler House. It is substantially enclosed and screened by these existing developments.
The development site is currently an airside operational area which is used as an airside road.
The Proposed Development
The main element of the proposed development is a narrow extension along part of the east side of the pier, some 70metres long and 6 metres wide.
At first floor level it will accommodate an ‘off-line’ reclaim belt that will be on the route of a new dedicated domestic and CTA passenger arrivals walkway that can be accommodated within the existing Pier 1 building envelope.
The first floor structure containing the reclaim belt provides the cover and weather protection for a baggage operations area at ground floor level, where baggage operatives will drop off passenger bags onto the belt. This off load is configured with a single lane for baggage carts to park adjacent to the baggage belt off-load.
Some visualisations of the proposals are shown below.

Within the off line reclaim hall a single baggage conveyor will be provided with a roller bed at its end. This is capable of accommodating both normal size and out of gauge baggage.

As part of the works a route back to the terminal for domestic/CTA passengers would be created from the Pier’s 5 aircraft stands. With the exception of a new vertical circulation core (VCC) this route would be within the footprint of the existing Pier. This would be at apron level along the piers west and south elevation, before rising via the new vertical circulation core (VCC) at the south east corner of the building to first floor level along the east elevation. This route brings passengers out at the South Terminal Lower Zone B check-in concourse. New meet and greet and onward travel information and signage would be provided in this location.
It may be noted that this domestic/CTA arrivals corridor routes passengers in the opposite direction to the existing apron level arrivals corridor that takes international arriving passengers back to the international arrivals facilities along the southern and western sides of the pier. To maintain segregation of domestic/CTA from international passengers at apron level the Pier’s five aircraft stands will be preferentially used. In addition, to ensure passengers are correctly directed access controlled doors will be installed along the arrivals route to provide flexibility of segregation as required.
- Domestic/CTA Passenger Coaching Operation
To cover the eventuality of domestic and CTA passengers, on occasions, still having to be coached from a remote aircraft stand, a coach drop off will be provided adjacent to the apron level walkway at the south west corner of the Pier as indicated on the Location Plan. This will include a new apron level canopy (between stands 3 and 4), wrapping around the existing Stand 4 node building. Details of this are still to be designed but the proposed canopy is illustrated below.

Last edited by Akoz; Feb 15, 2019 at 12:07 pm
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:24 am

Domestic Arrivals update

Originally Posted by Akoz

The design & access statement indicates that the domestic arrivals route would be through the pair of double doors to the left. Which would make sense, as two sets of double doors into a corridor that currently seems "unused" would seem excessive.
Gate 5 entrance has now been moved slightly (towards us in the picture) and works are now underway on the flow control doors and new stair / lift core. Consistent with the plans lodged at Crawley council.

Last edited by Akoz; Mar 21, 2019 at 2:38 pm
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
British Airways adds Gatwick-Milan Bergamo from September. 6 times weekly year round service.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...rgamo-service/
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Gatwick-Cancun to increase to 5 weekly for Winter 2019/20
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by vectismanpaul
Gatwick-Cancun to increase to 5 weekly for Winter 2019/20
I’m surprised we haven’t seen any new long haul destinations from LGW in 2019.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TedToToe

I’m surprised we haven’t seen any new long haul destinations from LGW in 2019.
I could suggest that fleet struggles to cope with what it has, given the airframe substitions we ‘ve encountered!
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Hopefully as more long haul aircraft are delivered to Heathrow we may see more long haul destinations from LGW. Situation is further complicated at moment with the refurbishment programme in Singapore and the usual winter maintenance at Cardiff. I think 14 777 needed at least for this summer.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Article in Business Traveller today with an interview with Alex Cruz. They asked about the LGW slots:

Originally Posted by Business Traveller
Now that you have the Monarch slots at Gatwick, will there be a big expansion?

...The Monarch slots will take time to settle. Last year we used other people’s metal to deliver the flights because we got them very quickly. This year we are using our own metal. One way that Gatwick is going to get growth is getting bigger aircraft, so you will see more A320s in Gatwick than we have today, and also because the refurbishment of the B777s will continue and be completed by the end of the year, that will increase the number of seats this year from Gatwick.

I think we will continue to look carefully at adding one or two more wide bodies and look carefully at new destinations...
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by vectismanpaul
British Airways adds Gatwick-Milan Bergamo from September. 6 times weekly year round service.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...rgamo-service/
An interesting new route, especially as this is mainly a LCC airport.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Bergamo is a nice little town to visit and a short bus ride from the airport. Hopefully the route will see some good value Club fares as this would be a nice overnight to gain 80 TPs.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
So what’s this now BA have 3 uniquely different London - Milan routes

cs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.