Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA at London-Gatwick 2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by B747forever
Another question, if the inbound into LHR arrives 45-60 minutes late, should I still try to make it to LGW, or should I instead try to get rebooked already at LHR?
Firstly I would get familiar with the BA App if you haven't already, since if this is on one booking a module called Reaccom will kick in at some point and rebook you anyway. Make sure you know how to refresh data so that you're not looking at cached data.

Secondly so long as you have 2 hr 15m you can just about make the connection. There isn't conformance at LGW (as I found out when I recently managed to to enter security 20 minutes before a LGW departure and still get pre-boarded for a flight that left on time). If we are looking at the last possible time you could make it, using, let's say, an enthusiastic taxi driver, then you could probably push that down to 90 minutes, though if you knew that in advance you wouldn't risk breakfast beforehand.

I'd only seek out BA at LHR if (a) the App changed OR (b) you were below 2h 15m / 90 minutes depending on risk levels.

If you actually had 3 hours and you wanted to save money, personally I'd take the tube and train, so long as both were working OK'ishly. It takes me about 100 minutes that route and I get change of a tenner. I use that route up to about 2h 20m from T5 landside.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Not in my lifetime, but a proper LHR-LGW direct rail connection (Maglev or whatever) would strangle traffic on BAFT! The pain of connecting between the 2 hubs, and the various options, clearly hasn’t impacted on the Minister of Transport or whomever. Stuff HS2 and connect the bloody main London airports!!
PUCCI GALORE and AmaaiZeg like this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
Not in my lifetime, but a proper LHR-LGW direct rail connection (Maglev or whatever) would strangle traffic on BAFT! The pain of connecting between the 2 hubs, and the various options, clearly hasn’t impacted on the Minister of Transport or whomever. Stuff HS2 and connect the bloody main London airports!!
It actually wouldn’t be very hard to do, even using existing railways. Older readers may remember a Virgin CrossCountry service that used to route North West > Brum > Reading > Olympia > Brighton... which became a parliamentary train (over the GWML/Olympia junction) for a while before eventually being killed off formally. It wouldn’t take much to resurrect if it were deemed a suitable use of capacity.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
@Confus remember that train well as having a voyager at BTN station kinda stood out. One of #SouthernFail's predecessors, I forget which, also did a Brighton - Rugby service but that was killed off long ago.

The difference is @T8191 was saying a "direct" link ie LGW-LHR like the Gatwick Express of old which was LGW-London Vic and nothing in between ( variants now stopping all over the place and going as far down as Brighton) and there in the detail lies the problem. Whilst no spring chicken myself being in my 40s I don't see it happening in my own life time either. Technically possible - yes. Financially viable - more than likely. Politically and environmentally/ tree hugger friendly - not a bloody chance.

But we're going OT here
AmaaiZeg likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Once open, I presume the Elizabeth Line to Farringdon, then Thameslink to Gatters, will be the quickest way on public transport.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TedToToe
Once open, I presume the Elizabeth Line to Farringdon, then Thameslink to Gatters, will be the quickest way on public transport.
My guess is Farringdon will be a very busy station and at peak times this simple connection may need more time.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I find it quite interesting how BA have turned things around LGW. About 5 years ago (or maybe it was longer), it was a basket case and there were rumblings that it would be closed as a BA base completely.

It seems the cost cutting has had the desired effect and made it a nice little earner again.
Rather the investment is a move of terminal and descent Club lounge. It now makes sense for those of us near the quick links from Victoria
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Confus

It actually wouldn’t be very hard to do, even using existing railways. Older readers may remember a Virgin CrossCountry service that used to route North West > Brum > Reading > Olympia > Brighton... which became a parliamentary train (over the GWML/Olympia junction) for a while before eventually being killed off formally. It wouldn’t take much to resurrect if it were deemed a suitable use of capacity.
That service due to the way it pathed through London was the slowest journey known to man, other options tube/train or new Crossrail/Thameslink would be quicker so if reinstated use I would think would be very limited.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by TWCLAM
@Confus remember that train well as having a voyager at BTN station kinda stood out. One of #SouthernFail's predecessors, I forget which, also did a Brighton - Rugby service but that was killed off long ago.

But we're going OT here
Staying OT (but FYI) the Rugby service was started by Connex and the service sort of still exists. When they lost the franchise the regulator scaled to make to Milton Keynes - but all stations on the route still up to MK still served by Southern.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
Originally Posted by Akoz
That service due to the way it pathed through London was the slowest journey known to man, other options tube/train or new Crossrail/Thameslink would be quicker so if reinstated use I would think would be very limited.
The other issue with having a direct service is that there is (as yet) no electrified link between the West London Line (via Olympia) and the Great Western Main Line at Acton, and I can't see Heathrow being happy with diesels being sent into the tunnels.

It's only a short gap, but nonetheless a gap. But a shame, I would certainly appreciate the direct service.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Firstly I would get familiar with the BA App if you haven't already, since if this is on one booking a module called Reaccom will kick in at some point and rebook you anyway. Make sure you know how to refresh data so that you're not looking at cached data.

Secondly so long as you have 2 hr 15m you can just about make the connection. There isn't conformance at LGW (as I found out when I recently managed to to enter security 20 minutes before a LGW departure and still get pre-boarded for a flight that left on time). If we are looking at the last possible time you could make it, using, let's say, an enthusiastic taxi driver, then you could probably push that down to 90 minutes, though if you knew that in advance you wouldn't risk breakfast beforehand.

I'd only seek out BA at LHR if (a) the App changed OR (b) you were below 2h 15m / 90 minutes depending on risk levels.

If you actually had 3 hours and you wanted to save money, personally I'd take the tube and train, so long as both were working OK'ishly. It takes me about 100 minutes that route and I get change of a tenner. I use that route up to about 2h 20m from T5 landside.
Thanks for the detailed reply! Must say that the BA forum on FT is by far the most informative and interesting to read.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:31 am

Does anyone know if the previously announced south terminal improvements for 2019 allowing domestic / channel islands flight connections have been given the go-ahead? Is there as start/completion date for the works?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:42 am

Totally agree , wise one, Uncle T!
I wouldn't moan so much about having to go all the way to LHR if there was a quick rail link!
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by AmaaiZeg
Totally agree , wise one, Uncle T!
I wouldn't moan so much about having to go all the way to LHR if there was a quick rail link!
Thanks ... sadly I don’t have a spare few £bn to do it!!

The issues I have with all the wonderful options for connecting LHR/LGW is the mysteries of TfL for non-residents (like this Oyster thingy!) and for we members of the NOT-HBO community the concept of dragging luggage through rail stations and buses ... which are NOT designed for People Of Luggage!

MY link will have luggage space, and flat floors, so that the POL can actually get their cases from A to B. Large/oversized roll-aboards are welcome to come too!
AmaaiZeg likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:00 am

Yep Uncle T , completely agree

Ps TWCLAM, in your 40s, not a spring chicken? Ok off topic, apologies. Have a look at 102 year old Sylvia in channel 4 programme about pensioners and 4 year olds. If I do live to that age, I hope I'll be as fit and astute as she is at 102! Love her giggle!

TWCLAM likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.