Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA at London-Gatwick 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by gypsyjaney
Nothing before midday and most flights are very much earlier than that (06:15, 6.30 and 08.05).
Aren't those all before midday?

Those times sound ideal for a late morning/lunchtime arrival and hotel check in at 2pm.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
Aren't those all before midday?

Those times sound ideal for a late morning/lunchtime arrival and hotel check in at 2pm.
Assume they meant after midday. I have to agree that these departure times are simply dreadful, 8am means leaving home around 5am or before unless you live very close to Gatters. No thank you!
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by RobDBA
Assume they meant after midday. I have to agree that these departure times are simply dreadful, 8am means leaving home around 5am or before unless you live very close to Gatters. No thank you!
Well I guess you can't please everyone.

All the Malta flights from Gatwick go in the am - Easyjet, BA, Air Malta and Thomas Cook.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!

Unfortunately for me, I’m not an early bird! I appreciate it’s subjective but 8 am still means an arrival and check in before 7 - not the greatest start to a holiday. I do know people who aren’t too troubled by this though. It’s the lack of even one afternoon departure that irritates me.
As you well know, I'm sure, MLA flight timings have always been a bit "random". But I do take your point that the latest schedules seem worse.

Personally, despite the early departures from LGW, I'm happiest to get to MLA early in the day to maximise the benefits of the hotel night I'm already paying for. Sadly, with our connection from JER, it means we have to have the previous night at LGW as well, to ensure we make the connection. Last trip was 0615 from LGW, but next April it's 1605 (!!) ... saving the overnight hotel but wasting a day in Valletta and not arriving until 2010. .

For comparison, attached is the July 2014 schedule - timings scattered all over the place depending on the day!
Attached Images  
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:11 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
This had me worried for a moment - I'm booked on a November Tuesday departure at 11:20, carefully selected as the only reasonably-timed option. Flying in the front as it's essentially a TP run (two cheap nights and then back on Thursday 13:05) but both flights are conveniently timed for the full lunch experience...
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
[QUOTE=simons1;30242475]Aren't those all before midday?

Those times sound ideal for a late morning/lunchtime arrival and hotel check in at 2pm.[/QUOTE

Sorry - I did indeed mean after midday. It’s what you get for trying to finish typing in the lounge and still catch your flight!
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Well I guess you can't please everyone.

All the Malta flights from Gatwick go in the am - Easyjet, BA, Air Malta and Thomas Cook.

Yes, I suppose I have just been spoilt - as T8191 has pointed out, at least in the past there has been a choice - thus providing something for everyone. I sometimes take EasyJet from Malta - but never out of LGW because it goes at something like 6.am.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would note that my April 16:05 departure was in panic while they were loading sale fares. I may try to pay to change that! (non-flex, so no chance!).

But LGW seems to still be the unwanted child of BA
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:07 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Can anyone offer any insight into the extremely unfriendly BA-MLA slots from LGW this winter? Nothing before midday and most flights are very much earlier than that (06:15, 6.30 and 08.05). Is it simply that they are cheap slots? I can’t believe it’s due to customer demand.
There were some LGW-MLA like that in winter before too, so it's not new this winter.

I really do not like catching a flight at early hours of the morning either.

Some BA departures for LGW-MLA are in the afternoon though.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by T8191
I would note that my April 16:05 departure was in panic while they were loading sale fares. I may try to pay to change that! (non-flex, so no chance!).

But LGW seems to still be the unwanted child of BA
I think that dubious honour was reserved for MAN.
T8191, mjh0 and TedToToe like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Personally I'd like (in no particular order) - MAN, DUB and BER and a couple extra rotations to AMS

And for real pie in the sky a second to NYC but around mid day and on a decent plane!
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NYC, as in <Crawley accent> “Yer want to go ter Noo Yawk, yer can. What’s yer bloody problem, mate?”
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Originally Posted by T8191
NYC, as in <Crawley accent> “Yer want to go ter Noo Yawk, yer can. What’s yer bloody problem, mate?”
@T8191 you missed out the words "innit fam" directly after "can". I shall ask the lounge ladies to have a more up to date CTTS ( Crawley Terminology Translation Sheet) waiting for you on your next pass through.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Personally I'd like (in no particular order) - MAN, DUB and BER and a couple extra rotations to AMS

And for real pie in the sky a second to NYC but around mid day and on a decent plane!
You got part of your wish with the extra TXL and DUB rotations announced.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
Not all of us Crawley residents are hoody wearing thugs...

(said tongue in cheek wearing a hoodie in the office as the aircon is in 'freeze your bits off' mode)

Going back on thread... I'd love to see a better LGW domestic service but I suspect the market for Gatwick isn't busy enough to warrant it...

Now if anyone is going to invest something in Gatwick (albeit the airport, not BA), having a proper Domestic arrivals route which doesn't involve a bus would be nice! (Although my last arrival was on the PrivatAir 737, which was on stand 134...)
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.