BA at London-Gatwick 2019

Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
BKK might work if it transferred wholesale.

HKT would be very cool, though it's made easier by the ability to transfer through KUL.

HNL non-stop on an ex-DY 787
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Cymro
HNL non-stop on an ex-DY 787
HNL non-stop? Where are the TPs in that? Who is this person??

Last edited by T8191; Sep 24, 2018 at 8:24 am
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by hshs
I'd love to see DUB added, so we can connect to long-haul destinations out of LGW on BA, rather than having to get from LHR to LGW or fly Aer Lingus into LGW.
And in the reverse direction too, Sir! Pre-Clearance ex-DUB to the USA is a little treasure, only spoiled by having to change LON airports and build c. 4 hours into the journey.

I won’t ask for JER-DUB, though, as it loses TPs.
hshs likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:11 am

Would love to fly direct from LGW to Bonaire.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Enough LH airframes to squeeze in Bali a couple of times a week?

(Maybe as an add on to the BKK route)
firstlight likes this.

Last edited by bhbloke; Sep 24, 2018 at 10:56 am Reason: add on details
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold life/ GGL and U2 plus
Connection times should be reduced

With all the operations in the South Terminal , I was hoping that they could reduce connections international to domestic which I think stand at 90 minutes
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Was told by LGW crew last month that BKK has been reviewed with a view to moving it to LGW a few years ago, but in the end the figures made more sense with it being operated by MF. However with so many slots to fill and LHR’s limited supply - never say never to a wholesale move!
I was also told HNL as a tag-on to the OAK service had been investigated but the numbers didn’t stack up.

Havana would definitely be an interesting addition, not sure on St Maartin, but given their coverage in the region - it is a missing piece of the jigsaw.

Pilot37
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Pilot37
Was told by LGW crew last month that BKK has been reviewed with a view to moving it to LGW [...]
I was also told HNL as a tag-on to the OAK service had been investigated but the numbers didn’t stack up.

Havana would definitely be an interesting addition, not sure on St Maartin, but given their coverage in the region - it is a missing piece of the jigsaw.
I wouldn’t be surprised if BKK were the prime candidate for the high-density A350s when they arrive, given that the struggle is apparently with premium yields.

HNL would never have taken off as a tag from OAK as BA has never had - and will never have - traffic/cabotage rights. It’s direct or nothing.

St Maarten would be nice but I think too sewn up by AF and KL. Are there any more ‘colonies’ in the Caribbean without British service? That would seem the most logical to me.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:58 pm

Would a LGW to LHR service work? Seems a good thing to do, perhaps a walk on shuttle service. Cut out all the hassle of changing airports.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by Confus

I wouldn’t be surprised if BKK were the prime candidate for the high-density A350s when they arrive, given that the struggle is apparently with premium yields.

HNL would never have taken off as a tag from OAK as BA has never had - and will never have - traffic/cabotage rights. It’s direct or nothing.

St Maarten would be nice but I think too sewn up by AF and KL. Are there any more ‘colonies’ in the Caribbean without British service? That would seem the most logical to me.
There is St. Vincent that is not served by BA. Could be a tag on to one of the other Caribbean routes.

other than that, BA could look at ex Monarch routes: Banjul, Goa, Agadir, Enfidha, Djerba, Skiathos, Mytiline, Fuerteventura...
Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Greenpen
Would a LGW to LHR service work? Seems a good thing to do, perhaps a walk on shuttle service. Cut out all the hassle of changing airports.
Non runner.

Dead in the water on environmental grounds and no chance that slots at LHR would be allocated when there is already a bus link in place.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Can anyone offer any insight into the extremely unfriendly BA-MLA slots from LGW this winter? Nothing before midday and most flights are very much earlier than that (06:15, 6.30 and 08.05). Is it simply that they are cheap slots? I can’t believe it’s due to customer demand.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
Fuerteventura has been operated recently but I believe is now suspended. For years British Caledonian used to operate to Dakar, Banjul, Freetown and Monrovia from Gatwick. Some of these were operated by BA from Heathrow, until the deadly epidemic a few years back, and have not since returned. Banjul is a popular winter seasonal destination but maybe a bit far for an A320 and not sure it could support the capacity of a 777.
Thanks for all the responses so far. Hopefully some definite news will emerge in the coming months. I have heard the 777 fleet could go to 15 based and A319/A320 to about 30 based. (Total 45). Not bad considering that in the recent past 32 based aircraft was the average. I have noticed that a greater number of usually based Heathrow A320/777 aircraft tend to rotate more often between the two airports. I suspect this is to meet seasonal capacity demands and maintenance requirements. Thanks again for the ideas and information provided so far.
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by gypsyjaney
Can anyone offer any insight into the extremely unfriendly BA-MLA slots from LGW this winter? Nothing before midday and most flights are very much earlier than that (06:15, 6.30 and 08.05). Is it simply that they are cheap slots? I can’t believe it’s due to customer demand.
No specific insight but I think 08.05 is a pretty reasonable slot for a MLA flight - it's not a silly early start and gets you there in good time to have a full afternoon / evening. A later inbound would be nicer though for those wanting to maximise a short break.

The first wave departures are less civilised but plenty of people make use of them.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
No specific insight but I think 08.05 is a pretty reasonable slot for a MLA flight - it's not a silly early start and gets you there in good time to have a full afternoon / evening. A later inbound would be nicer though for those wanting to maximise a short break.

The first wave departures are less civilised but plenty of people make use of them.
Unfortunately for me, I’m not an early bird! I appreciate it’s subjective but 8 am still means an arrival and check in before 7 - not the greatest start to a holiday. I do know people who aren’t too troubled by this though. It’s the lack of even one afternoon departure that irritates me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.