Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Status Rise Same Card Expiry - Clarification

Old Sep 23, 18, 3:55 am
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business

Dear All,

A little confused but by now many here know just how easily that can occur with me. Was wondering if one of you could clarify something for me.

Hit Bronze on a recent outbound LH leg and both the app and BAEC/ ba.com show my new status. I was under the impression that when you went up a tier you got your existing time + 1 year at the new level. See images showing no change from expiry date after changing from Blue - Bronze. I joined when the additional time period was granted due to the '17 IT debacle. Is it this which has caused the system to get confused and not assign additional time OR is it that I am simply confused and misread/ understood when reading threads where it was mentioned.

As ever my eternal thanks in advance for any & all assistance.

Old Sep 23, 18, 4:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
huge edit as, after re reading i see I misunderstood your question

I doubt hitting bronze after the 2 year extension would add another year to bronze.

Last edited by scottishpoet; Sep 23, 18 at 4:12 am
Old Sep 23, 18, 4:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond
You have bronze until end Jan 2020, i.e. one year plus what is left in this year. I don't understand the question.
Old Sep 23, 18, 4:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If you recently went from Blue to Bronze then yes you will retain that status for this year (until December 2018) and all of the following year (December 2019) plus 7 weeks (standard wind-down period) to get you to the end of the following month (January 2020). I'm not seeing anything here that contradicts this. As one of BA's valued Bronze members you therefore get that tier's benefits for a year and a bit. It will get a bit clearer early January next year, when the first date will then switch to 8 December 2019.

A brief guide to moving between Tiers in the BAEC
Old Sep 23, 18, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by TWCLAM View Post
I was under the impression that when you went up a tier you got your existing time + 1 year at the new level.
Going up a tier doesn't extend your 'existing time' - otherwise if you jumped multiple tiers during the same year you'd end up with many years of status.

When you hit a status tier, you get that status for the remainder of your current membership year plus the year (and a month) after that.

In your case you've hit Bronze, that lasts for the remainder of your current year to Dec 2018, plus the year after to Dec 2019, plus the month at the end which takes you to Jan 2020.
Old Sep 23, 18, 4:17 am
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Sorry it is probably me not explaining properly. The 1st image shows an expiry date as a new/ Blue member of 31 Jan 2020. I have reached Bronze yet the end date still remains the same. I joined 2017 but have always had that end date from day 1 due to the additional time being awarded to people by BA. To my mind this means I have been granted no additional time at all at my new tier level. When I hit Silver on my next BA flight ( early Nov' this year) will my end date at that level also be 31st Jan 2020, If so how am I gaining anything for a lot of money spent if everything expires the same date as it would if I was still a Blue member?

( I appreciate that cards themselves are issued yearly)
Old Sep 23, 18, 4:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond
This is just the way it works. You get the rest of your current TP year (plus the additional period) plus all of the next TP year. But you have more benefits during that period. The extension due to the IT failure has run out now, so that's irrelevant I think.
Old Sep 23, 18, 4:20 am
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

@Ldnn1 You posted as I was making my own post and clears it all up & I did obviously misunderstand when reading through the guide. Shame about not getting that multi year jump but meh my own stupidity on misunderstanding.

Thank you one and all
Old Sep 23, 18, 4:24 am

You can always hope for another mega IT b*lls-up to get an extra couple of years. Plenty of fingers crossed on that re the data breach
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Sep 23, 18, 4:32 am
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Just as well Ive made a good start on my next TP year eh with HAM, MLA & HEL already booked for early 19
Old Sep 23, 18, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 View Post
You can always hope for another mega IT b*lls-up to get an extra couple of years.
Hope, or expectation 😉
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Sep 23, 18, 4:48 am
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Didnt even think of that ( data breach getting us all another extension). If they could hold off until my Silver flight registers that would be terribly handy