Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

GDPR - Right to be forgotten and it's extent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has some insight to using GDPR to request an action for an airline to delete your account with them.
Also how far up the chain will affect. For instance if I wanted my personal information destroyed by Aer Lingus and request to be forgotten under GDPR, would my account for BA be affected? Since they are both owned by IAG, will requesting such and action from one airline affect another airline owned by the same group?
Could anyone advise me on what I would expect to happen if I was to go down that route?

Thanks
Echo
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Well, the aer club terms and conditions provide the following:

15. Member's right to terminate Membership

Members may terminate their Membership at any time by contacting AerClub either online or by writing to AerClub at Aer Lingus, Dublin Airport, Co Dublin, stating that they no longer wish to be a Member and (if applicable) enclosing their Card cut in half. Any such termination will result in a loss of all Avios and does not relieve the Member of any continuing obligations under these AerClub Terms and Conditions. Data in relation to a closed Account will be processed in accordance with the Aer Lingus Privacy Statement available here: https://www.aerlingus.com/support/le...acy-statement/.
Probably want to look at the privacy statement.

I don’t see why closing your aer club account would have any particular effect on your BA Executive Club account.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
(as I understand it)
The GDPR rights to be forgotten are not transitive. Requesting one company to forget about you does not require them to take action to have your information removed at other companies, even those they have shared your information with. In fact for them to be able to have your information removed from another company would be contrary to some principles of the GDPR about accurate processing of information in the interests of the person whose information it is.
I also think most companies are unlikely to do this if the information was shared for some business trading relationship (eg frequent flyer alliance, marketing details passed to other companies, etc). They probably will remove it if it was shared as part of a service provider agreement (example: the company uses a customer-relations-as-a-service provider and will cause your information to be removed from customer-relations service).
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Well, the aer club terms and conditions provide the following:

Probably want to look at the privacy statement.

I don’t see why closing your aer club account would have any particular effect on your BA Executive Club account.
How about my Iberia account? I just tried to look for terms for it and couldn't see it 🤔
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: BAEC
To a certain extent it depends which legal entity you make the right to be forgotten application to. If you apply to Aer Lingus then it will be the data controlled by that legal entity. If you apply to IAG group, then it will be the data they control but could be instructed to include all their subsidiary companies.

If you do wish to exercise the right to be forgotten it can be useful to first do a data subject access request' to first understand what data they have about you, and what data they hold about you that is discretionary, and what they might have to continue to hold by law - for example there might be some data they have to retain for legal or compliance reasons or to.perform a contract that you cannot withdraw consent for.

Last edited by plunet; Sep 22, 2018 at 9:12 pm
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by edot8
How about my Iberia account? I just tried to look for terms for it and couldn't see it 🤔
I've had my Iberia account forgotten. Was surprisingly prompt. Had a few days of being worried when I realised there was a chance my baec account could get wiped but in the end only IB was deleted.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Does IAG as the parent / holding company actually hold any personal data such as FF programme data?

My relationship is with BA not with IAG so if I want to delete my BA account it’s BA that I would contact.

Im sure you would be most unhappy if say your IB account was deleted because you asked EI to delete your EI account.

Is that what you want?
edot8 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Aegan Gold, British Airways Bronze
Would that be a trick to prevent the famous negatives avios on Iberia after transferring avios from the promotion they ran? Transfer the avios to BA, use the right to be forgotten on Iberia, create a new clean Iberia account?
Lizie and edot8 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by milgom
Would that be a trick to prevent the famous negatives avios on Iberia after transferring avios from the promotion they ran? Transfer the avios to BA, use the right to be forgotten on Iberia, create a new clean Iberia account?
If that were to be the case, it seems quite dishonest to me.

The Right to be Forgotten is not absolute; in particular, keeping user information to substantiate legal claims (such as a breach of Avios terms and conditions amounting to fraud) is permitted. See the list of exceptions here: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations...ht-to-erasure/
Lizie and edot8 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:44 am

Also have in mind that you can not demand that all types of data is removed on request, there might be other laws in place (example tax/accounting) mandating to keep data for a longer time. etc. For example one reason for not removing removing data from a frequent flyer account might be that you have pending award-flights. You can demand deletion if "the personal data are no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which they were collected or otherwise processed"

See GDPR article 17.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:45 am

The GDPR legislation doesn't go into that detail. It might happen in the future, as the need arises. But now everything is still pretty vague. The right to be forgotten is also not absolute. For example, you need to keep invoices for 10 years, on which your details will also be included.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Aegan Gold, British Airways Bronze
Originally Posted by flatlander

The Right to be Forgotten is not absolute; in particular, keeping user information to substantiate legal claims (such as a breach of Avios terms and conditions amounting to fraud) is permitted. See the list of exceptions here: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations...ht-to-erasure/
True, got a bit too excited thinking of the loophole but would be rather dishonest.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flatlander

yes, that would quite bizzare if you could somehow get out of a debt by invoking your right to be forgotten against your creditor
argonath likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:05 am

Indeed, some people (in general, not in this discussion) want the "right to be forgotten" to be some sort of magical wand of amnesia that they can wave on anyone they want for their own advantage. That's not quite what it is meant for.
Often1 and argonath like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by edot8
See:
https://www.iberia.com/us/iberiaplus/conditions/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.