Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Family guesting in another family

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Family guesting in another family

Clan memesweeper are heading to North America soon (2 adults 2 teens 1 teen) — and we’ve just learned some friends are hoping to join us (2 adults 2 teens). We’ll be in J and they’re in Y ... can my kids guest in their kids? LHR T5.
flyerkit likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by memesweeper
Clan memesweeper are heading to North America soon (2 adults 2 teens 1 teen) — and we’ve just learned some friends are hoping to join us (2 adults 2 teens). We’ll be in J and they’re in Y ... can my kids guest in their kids? LHR T5.
Hi,

Unless you have One world Gold or Silver status you will not be able to guest anyone in ( J travel alone does not permit guesting - F does though)

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If I understand right, you want your party of 4 or 5 (2 teens and 1 teen, which is it?) all confirmed in J to guest another party of 4 in Y on the same flight. How many of your group have elite status (and of what levels)?

Age shouldn't matter but the rule is that elites can guest others into lounges but "regular" J passengers cannot, although they themselves do get lounge access on the basis of the J ticket. That would be the normal rule not just for BA but generally across other carriers and other alliances. Of course, YMMV.

ADDED: Age shouldn't matter assuming that all underage kids will have a parent in the lounge.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You will be able to guest in numbers depending on status.

no status = no guests

if only one of your clan has status then they will be allowed one guest, 2 would be 2 guests and so on.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Rats! I’d never realised guesting was by status... and guess what, that’s only held by me. Guess we’re slumming it in Pret then...
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:49 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Rats! I’d never realised guesting was by status... and guess what, that’s only held by me. Guess we’re slumming it in Pret then...
May be a good time to sign Mrs Memesweeper and the mini-sweepers up and create a family account. Depending where you are flying to the return flight alone stands a good chance of getting them all close to Bronze ( still not guesting at this level)and remember you can retro apply flights upto 3 months prior to joining BAEC so this could tip them all into Bronze.

Obviously im unaware of the rest of the clans travel frequency or your reset date as to the practicality of them hitting Silver but it seems silly not to sign them all up and add them to a household account. I've read on here about children as young as seven having their own gold status simply based on accrued lifetime TP earnings.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:55 am

Programs: BA Silver
Protocol would suggest sending the ladies off for a glass or two of champers in this scenario but I doubt you can even do that with just one guest allowed.

Plane Food would be my choice.
frandrake likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Boots meal deals all round!
smokie36, WorldLux and Beltway2A like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I’ve promised myself to try to stop obsessing over lounge use at virtually every airport I visit, and instead to start investigating other options / areas of interest available - some of which can prove very worthwhile indeed.

My most recent example of ‘regret’ happened to be at BNE, where I slavishly spent just about all my time in the (very pleasant) QF lounge, only to then chance upon an amazingly good bookshop - with an extensive travel section - immediately opposite the gate for my flight. I did manage a couple of minutes having a browse until they actually called boarding. The bookshop even incorporated a mini coffee shop with some great-looking pastries etc + comfy seating. I will make a bee-line for it next time (didn’t get the name of the place ..... but perhaps some Brisbane regulars know of it ..... ?)

Apols to OP but only added this once I saw your enquiry had been definitively answered.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:47 am

Programs: BA Silver
I appreciate it is a delicate situation with your friends not having the same benefits as you and your family as they are not in CW,but if I was you I would make your arrangements to meet upon arrival in The States

You have paid for ,dedicated check-in, fast track security, lounge access and priority boarding. None of which your friends are entitled , you can’t be planning to miss out on all that just to travel through LHR with your friends? Obviously you won’t be sat next to them on board so I’d suggest you crack on and enjoy the benefits. I’m sure if handled correctly your friends will understand.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
My most recent example of ‘regret’ happened to be at BNE, where I slavishly spent just about all my time in the (very pleasant) QF lounge, only to then chance upon an amazingly good bookshop - with an extensive travel section - immediately opposite the gate for my flight. I did manage a couple of minutes having a browse until they actually called boarding. The bookshop even incorporated a mini coffee shop with some great-looking pastries etc + comfy seating. I will make a bee-line for it next time (didn’t get the name of the place ..... but perhaps some Brisbane regulars know of it ..... ?)
Watermark Books & Cafe?

For the main post - only the OP will know whether the level of friendship or a couple of hours in BA lounge is more important.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ simons1 - I reckon that must be the one, thanks ^
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Yetak
I appreciate it is a delicate situation with your friends not having the same benefits as you and your family as they are not in CW,but if I was you I would make your arrangements to meet upon arrival in The States

The OP isn't missing out on dedicated CI, fast track security and priority boarding. Assuming they didn't plan on getting to Heathrow at the same time, the OP can meet with the other family airside. The only thing the OP would be missing out is the BA lounge and frankly, he wouldn't miss much.
cupsandsaucers and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:34 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Boots meal deal!? Oh please.
Wagamamas!!
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
+1 for Plane Food, has a good range of seating that should work for a large group. Not sure if Heathrow Rewards still offers a £5 voucher on new account sign up, could be worth a try all of you getting a card and offering £5 each part payment

You could always arrive early, have some time in the lounge, and then meet your friends when they turn up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.