Baggage checking at Flight Connections

Old Sep 22, 18, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Baggage checking at Flight Connections

My wife and I will be flying from JNB to LHR. She will exit and spend time in London, I'll continue to a connection to NYC. We both planned to have full-sized carry on bags on JNB-LHR (in CW) but I will take both of them back to NYC. I was wondering if I can check those bags at Flight Connections in T5 as I doubt i'd be allowed to take both onto my next flight and I'd rather not have two larger rollaboard plus a backpack.

Is this possible? Or will I need to go landside to do this at the check-in desk?
Old Sep 22, 18, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by jmr50 View Post
My wife and I will be flying from JNB to LHR. She will exit and spend time in London, I'll continue to a connection to NYC. We both planned to have full-sized carry on bags on JNB-LHR (in CW) but I will take both of them back to NYC. I was wondering if I can check those bags at Flight Connections in T5 as I doubt i'd be allowed to take both onto my next flight and I'd rather not have two larger rollaboard plus a backpack.

Is this possible? Or will I need to go landside to do this at the check-in desk?
Hi,

There is a customer service desk in the departures area of T5 which can take bags IIRC ( as long as the total number of bags do not exceed your allowance) .Not sure about at Flight connections.

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 22, 18, 10:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes you can check the bag just before Flight Connections, they are supposed to do this if your bag is too big anyway (but tend to do it only after some clampdown). In some ways it is easier to do it at the two Customer Service islands by gates 10 and 15 but that would be after security so it adds to the processing time. You can also check it in at the final departure gate too, which I guess has the merit of making it more likely to be on your departing aircraft.
Old Sep 22, 18, 10:23 am

If one bag is to be checked in from LHR, why not check it in in JNB and save the bother in London? (Assuming, of course, that JNB-LHR-NYC is on one PNR).