Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Single bag, overhead or feet

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HIDDY
A wonderful insight into how newbie Golds act at the airport. I have to assume this was a prearranged meet up and you didn't suddenly appear from nowhere and introduce yourself to the Jersey Royals?
Semi random I would say, I nearly gave the Bergerac Brace a heart attack when I sailed in to the lounge and announced "Ah UncleT, there you are".
HIDDY and T8191 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
A wonderful insight into how newbie Golds act at the airport. I have to assume this was a prearranged meet up and you didn't suddenly appear from nowhere and introduce yourself to the Jersey Royals?
From our POV we were just sat down and having a coffee or something when this bloke loomed over us and said “Hello!”. Being generally tuned out from the FT environment it took a few moments to register what was happening!

It was, however, one of our loveliest travelling moments, and his bounteous and hysterically funny gift was deeply appreciated!
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Small (only) bag goes upstairs, every time.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i find the tags annoying when i'm in row 1 or exit row and they INSIST on a tag and i used to mention "im in row one" or "im in an exit row" and they just re-state the policy (eyeroll). gave up on that ages ago, so just rip the tag off after check in. regardless if im in neither row 1 nor exit, with 1 carry-on and get the tag, still take it off because sorry, im 6'2" and my feet have nowhere to go.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flygirl68

We do realise, but we don’t write the policy, we just have to manage it on the day. My personal opinion is that as little as possible should be on the floor. Someone who travels with a small bag shouldn’t be expected to keep it by their feet if they don’t want to. I wish we could get tighter on cabin baggage, like other airlines.
Please clarify flygirl68, what 'policy' states I should be asked to put my bag on the floor while someone with a rollaboard should not be asked to gate check. Can you provide a link that shows overhead bin space is not provided on a 'first come, first served' basis and that rollaboards get priority. I'd be interested in seeing just where this 'policy' exists.
PAL62V likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Originally Posted by VSLover
i find the tags annoying when i'm in row 1 or exit row and they INSIST on a tag and i used to mention "im in row one" or "im in an exit row" and they just re-state the policy (eyeroll). gave up on that ages ago, so just rip the tag off after check in. regardless if im in neither row 1 nor exit, with 1 carry-on and get the tag, still take it off because sorry, im 6'2" and my feet have nowhere to go.
One could ask innocently "Are you sure the pilot won't mind?" when told repeatedly that the bag must go under the seat in front
VSLover and FlyingScientist like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ukgooner
These days it would be probably best for the overheads to be used just for rollaboards and anything too big to go under the seat.

Coats and carrier bags can then be put on the top when boarding is complete.

Its up to the individual if they want / need to check a bag, and it doesn't make them above thinking of the common good. Its mean and thoughtless to insist a small personal item should waste the space that could be needed by others, when its hardly an inconvenience on the floor.
Are you serious ukgooner? Do you really think you are more entitled to use the overhead bin for your rollaboard than I am to use it for my small bag? I'm guessing you see yourself as 'needing' the space and believe I don't 'need' it just as much as you do. Well that dog won't hunt. You don't 'need' to bring your rollaboard on board, you can check it. You may want to bring it aboard but you absolutely don''t 'need' to bring it aboard. What 'needs' to be brought aboard are only valuables, prescription medication, passport, tickets, etc. all of which fit in a small bag quite easliy. What you think you 'need' is to be able to get out of the arrival airport faster than someone else. That is all a 'carry-on only' traveller is thinking about.

I would suggest to you that it is 'mean and thoughtless' to think that your needs are greater than anyone else's needs and that your choice to travel carry-on only is more important than my choice to travel with only a small bag. With my choice, I leave as much room for others to share as is possible. With your choice, you take up as much room as you can get away with.
T8191, simons1, JackLXSX and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
I'd love to know the routes on which the bags come out after only 15-20 mins. I'd be happy with that, but the reality for me has been that on the 5 occasions I have checked a bag this year, the quickest I've got it back at T5 has been 38mins after I arrived at the baggage reclaim carousel. This morning coming off the Washington flight, it was 56 mins after I got to the carousel that my bag appeared, and that isn't the longest I've waited. Totally understand why people go HBO if they can.

On one occasion when I went HBO a couple of years ago I was forced to put my bag at my feet even though it didn't actually fit under the seat in front. Wasn't particularly happy with that either so it may be that BA simply can't win, though I do think they could help themselves more than they do. The rules aren't clear and they aren't enforced consistently.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Please clarify flygirl68, what 'policy' states I should be asked to put my bag on the floor while someone with a rollaboard should not be asked to gate check. Can you provide a link that shows overhead bin space is not provided on a 'first come, first served' basis and that rollaboards get priority. I'd be interested in seeing just where this 'policy' exists.
You may have only one piece of handbaggage and if that piece has been given a yellow label then it is meant to go under the seat in front of you.

This I find unfair.
VSLover and T8191 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My carry-on contains: iPad, Kindle, bag of cables, waterproof jacket and a couple of packs of cigarettes. Plus Travel Wallet with Passports and Currency. Oh, and camera.

I would rather not have that in the hold, or indeed being kicked around on the floor.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:04 am

Programs: BA
I think the roller bags should be forced under the seat in front or in between the legs of the owner before reasonable sized carry-ons, if it’s so crucial that they have their suitcase in the cabin then I’m sure they won’t mind it being that little bit closer to them.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
I personally blame the roll-aboard generation, and C-W-S for advocatiing HBO

The ‘urgency’ of people’s lives apparently means they can’t wait for 10-20 minutes for hold bags to emerge. So, without any rational reason for avoiding that small delay, they HAVE to take everything in the cabin.

On a recent sector I saw a guy with 3 backpacks, and his female companion with another one (plus large handbag, of course). Evident holiday pax, but STILL had to fill the cabin with their luggage.
I can wait 10 minutes. Even twenty. Unfortunately it's often longer than that- it's all relative but in many cases, certainly with short haul, that would constitute more than a "small" delay.
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
I can wait 10 minutes. Even twenty. Unfortunately it's often longer than that- it's all relative but in many cases, certainly with short haul, that would constitute more than a "small" delay.
I fully accept that we, as Leisure pax, have a more relaxed approach to Reclaim.

However, it is often the case [oops] that we have a scheduled Coach to catch between LHR/LGW, followed by another sector, so I do have some sympathy!
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Originally Posted by patersoj
I'd love to know the routes on which the bags come out after only 15-20 mins.
MUC, DBV, SVQ, PUJ All under that threshold, im giving SVQ the extra couple of mins over the 20 as it was only a couple & it was July
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by T8191
I personally blame the roll-aboard generation, and C-W-S for advocatiing HBO
The ‘urgency’ of people’s lives apparently means they can’t wait for 10-20 minutes for hold bags to emerge. So, without any rational reason for avoiding that small delay, they HAVE to take everything in the cabin.
On a recent sector I saw a guy with 3 backpacks, and his female companion with another one (plus large handbag, of course). Evident holiday pax, but STILL had to fill the cabin with their luggage.
It's not the urgency, it's the 45/50 min standing while waiting - because often there are no seats at the luggage belts - that I don't like
About the thread subject, If someone has just a backpack it's up to him/her to decide if using the bins or the floor. A person foot space should not be penalized just because his/her cabin luggage is small.
PAL62V likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.