Non Revenue pax in CE jump seat on LGW A320

Old Sep 21, 18, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, VS, Costa Coffee, My Waitrose
Non Revenue pax in CE jump seat on LGW A320

I was traveling back from Malaga today in CE seated in seatv1A. As many will know there is no divider on most Gatwick based A320.

After take off off two passengers came and sat on jump seats in front of me, taking space and the forward facing was uncomfortable.

When I spoke to the CSM, she initially gave a pretence that she could not see my concern. And explained that they had boarded non rev pax to sit in the rear jump seats but they were in the way of the service at the rear. So they were moved to the front.

Surely non rev passengers should not be to the detriment of paying pax, squeezing even more into an already cramped cabin is really poor.

Am am I right to be annoyed by this ?
Old Sep 21, 18, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
If they interfered with your legroom yes if not no.
Old Sep 21, 18, 8:46 am

Um, I think you're unnecessarily annoyed. Trust me, they were far more uncomfortable than you. And the space isn't "yours" if it has a jump seat in it.

Moreover, the decision to allow a non-rev passenger into a jump seat is that of the Captain. The authority rests with her/him.

In the future, I would avoid 1A, though.
Old Sep 21, 18, 9:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by nyjoe4 View Post
Trust me, they were far more uncomfortable than you. And the space isn't "yours" if it has a jump seat in it.
It's not really relevant whether the non-rev passengers were more uncomfortable than the fare-paying passenger; a fare-paying passenger should never be made uncomfortable for the sake of accommodating non-revs.

Having said that, I'm not familiar with the layout of these aircraft so don't know the extent to which the space of the passenger in 1A would be impacted by people sitting in the jump seats.
Old Sep 21, 18, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post
It's not really relevant whether the non-rev passengers were more uncomfortable than the fare-paying passenger; a fare-paying passenger should never be made uncomfortable for the sake of accommodating non-revs.

Having said that, I'm not familiar with the layout of these aircraft so don't know the extent to which the space of the passenger in 1A would be impacted by people sitting in the jump seats.
Im sitting at the front of one of those aircraft now. There is quite a lot of space at row 1A-C, but I think if the OP had booked that front seat in the hope of limitless legroom and stretching out then somebody sitting in the jump seat would indeed prevent this.

For me though the main annoyance would be having to sit facing people straight on for the whole flight. Id find it very uncomfortable and can fully see why the OP is annoyed having paid a premium to sit in Club Europe.

i always avoid these seats. You have to face the crew for takeoff and landing, theres no locker space above you and toilet queues are annoying. 2D-F are much better and have good legroom st the bulkhead.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 21, 18, 9:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is no shortage of legroom, it's the width of the door across, so you can only play footsies if both sides are willing. Still I would say this is a distraction on a CE ticket, if there were no other CE seats I would be seeking remediation. If this was just for 15 minutes I would let it slide, thereafter I would ask the CSM to raise an iPad complaint - which would normally resolve the issue. I think you should have been tougher with the CSM.
MSPeconomist and Calchas like this.
Old Sep 21, 18, 9:55 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Doesn't the slide block legroom in 1A anyway?
Old Sep 21, 18, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post

If that were the case no nonrevs would ever board. Non revs usually end up in those middle seats that you were hoping would stay empty. Aren't they pretty much always making people uncomfortable?
esledo likes this.
Old Sep 21, 18, 1:04 pm

Doesn't sound very acceptable to me. I would take it up. You don't pay CE prices to have two people staring at you the whole flight.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Sep 21, 18, 1:04 pm

Id be mightily annoyed. 1A/C are awkward enough at takeoff and landing on these aircraft so facing someone through the whole flight would be terrible. Tbh I try and avoid these seats, despite the legroom, for this reason.

I think its definitely worth highlighting this to BA so it is less likely to happen again.
Old Sep 21, 18, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
How many people sit looking forward, I am normally reading or watching a video?
Old Sep 21, 18, 1:32 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
How many people sit looking forward, I am normally reading or watching a video?
Unlike with longhaul, it's is directly in front. There's no bulkhead or separation at all, It's much closer in than the 747 UD exit rows, for example. It would almost be rude to ignore the passengers. If the passengers were talking to each other then unless it was a whisper every word would be heard by 1A and 1C.
Old Sep 21, 18, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
I'd be pretty miffed as well.
FrogTastic likes this.
Old Sep 21, 18, 2:28 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club
I think it does raise the issue now that BA has chosen to strip its cabins down to what it currently offers, especially at Gatwick where it's ny on impossible to hide non revs out of the way and perform a basic service due to the cabin layout that it really isn't appropriate anymore to be offering jump seats to non revs in Europe. It compromises a rev passengers enjoyment and space to the point it would have been a non issue had they opted to go with a bulkhead at 1L. Maximizing seating capacity on board should mean jump seats don't come into play anymore. I've non revved a fair bit in my time and can see both sides of the situation. In both I'd be absolutely mortified had this been me - row 1 or jump seat facing it.
nyjoe4 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 18, 2:38 pm

Those seats are annoying in any event - no overhead storage and a constant stream of people standing in that space as they wait for the toilet. It gets even more crowded when parents come forward with children, particularly when its from the other side of the curtain because there’s a long queue at the rear. They don’t feel very exclusive or relaxed.

Palmer

Search this Thread