Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Non Revenue pax in CE jump seat on LGW A320

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non Revenue pax in CE jump seat on LGW A320

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by RG1X
Oh yeah, screw those seats.
As we're on the subject, it's also worth comparing the A320 1D/F legroom between BA and Titan.

BA

Titan

Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by nyjoe4
The point that I raised originally - that it's the Captain's call - really makes writing an email to customer service, or trying to "make sure it doesn't happen again", a waste of time and energy.

Most flight crew fly standby when they are commuting, or going on holiday; and when a flight is full and there are no more flights that day and they want to get to their destination - well, they know the deal, and they hope that their fellow staff are kind enough to let them board. So don't expect any change in policy.

Moreover, non rev passengers only use jump seats when no other seats in any cabin are available (hence the OP's inability to move to another seat - because there wasn't any).
But if the airline instruct captain as to what is acceptable it surely becomes the airline's call. Given how they pack the seats in, whoever agreed to allow them onboard knew they were creating a problem, the solution to that problem shouldn't be to the detriment of a paying customer.

If staff commute and rely on standby and the kindness of colleagues that's a choice that they have to accept may not end well. It's not good commercially for the airline to inconvenience paying passengers because staff didn't make adequate travel arrangements.

Do we know there were no other seats, I thought that was not stated either way.

I don't know the plane type, but can imagine this is similar to the exit seat around row 27 on the 767, where you have the crew member facing you for take off and landing, which is fine, smile, exchange a few words, but you wouldn't really want that for the full journey.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: British Airways Exec, Virgin Atlantic
I think a319s all have a divider - thew two I was on to Sevilla int he summer did.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:47 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by T8191
As we're on the subject, it's also worth comparing the A320 1D/F legroom between BA and Titan.

BA

Titan

I am quite distracted by those socks. You really wear them in public. Quel Courage!
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I am quite distracted by those socks. You really wear them in public. Quel Courage!
N’importe nawak, Pucci Galore!
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

I have more exciting ones, if you are interested in a brief encounter of sock-fetishism

By his backpack and socks shall ye know him.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Jammers20
I think a319s all have a divider - thew two I was on to Sevilla int he summer did.
What A319s have to do with the price of fish is irrelevant, this thread is exclusively about A320s and in particular the GATx range that came second-hand from other airlines that didn’t have a bulkhead there.

For those saying BA shouldn’t allow jumpseat travel and to force captains into that... you clearly don’t know pilots, who would raise serious industrial disputes over it, or at the very least, insist on a seat always remaining empty in case their wife/mistress wants to join them. Seriously.

I actually don’t see the problem with it. There’s lots of space, you’d be unlikely to sit looking at them the whole flight (unless they were cute...), and you never know, chatting to them might be good for you, you might learn something.

Oh, and don’t the A321s have similar seats around doors 2 and 3? And in the case of neos, no galley space at all? So get used to it happening even more.......
nyjoe4, flygirl68, esledo and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let’s not make another FT mountain out of a molehill.

The CC sit opposite for what? Ten minutes per trip? Come on, that’s not Armageddon!! The serious downside of those seats is the queue for the loo.

But, hey, who am I to spoil a weekend rant thread?
esledo likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:37 pm
Suspended

I think OP should really blame BA for not installing the divider, rather than blame Non-Rev to take the Jump seats. Non-rev is innocent.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Confus

I actually don’t see the problem with it. There’s lots of space, you’d be unlikely to sit looking at them the whole flight (unless they were cute...), and you never know, chatting to them might be good for you, you might learn something.
Indeed....however I got the impression from the OP he had the audience with him for the whole flight. Which is okay if in economy but not in CE.
PJSMITH0 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
Let’s not make another FT mountain out of a molehill.

The CC sit opposite for what? Ten minutes per trip? Come on, that’s not Armageddon!! The serious downside of those seats is the queue for the loo.

But, hey, who am I to spoil a weekend rant thread?
I have no idea what that has to do with the OP?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:16 pm

I had no idea so many people on here had such strong issues with basic human contact. So much makes sense now!
HIDDY likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by callum9999
I had no idea so many people on here had such strong issues with basic human contact. So much makes sense now!
Have you never noticed how people will spend hours trying to book something online, and then make tortuous posts here seeking advice on whether and how to make online booking work, when in 15-30 minutes they could have been all done and dusted if they'd just picked up the phone and called BA?

Indeed, the most entertaining ones are when the advice given is to pick up the phone and call BA to book, and yet they still argue endlessly about whether and how to make online booking work.

Sometimes, I wonder how people manage to sit on a train facing strangers across the table. You often have to do this even in first class.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Have you never noticed how people will spend hours trying to book something online, and then make tortuous posts here seeking advice on whether and how to make online booking work, when in 15-30 minutes they could have been all done and dusted if they'd just picked up the phone and called BA?

Indeed, the most entertaining ones are when the advice given is to pick up the phone and call BA to book, and yet they still argue endlessly about whether and how to make online booking work.

Sometimes, I wonder how people manage to sit on a train facing strangers across the table. You often have to do this even in first class.
True - though I have to admit my lazy-self does try and avoid calling people/companies wherever possible!

I get how some people can be fussy about having personal space, but someone simply facing your direction being an issue.... Not least because I've never seen anyone on a plane just staring at the space directly in front of them for the duration of the flight - I'm sure those people in the jump seats would have been looking away from the OP most of the time and talking/reading/watching something. Nor do I think they were remotely interested in listening in (which surely the row behind you could also do anyway?).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.