Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Non Revenue pax in CE jump seat on LGW A320

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non Revenue pax in CE jump seat on LGW A320

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:44 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Out of curiosity, were they there for the whole flight, or just while the rear galley was being heavily used?

M
HIDDY likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by Mns1977
I’d be mightily annoyed. 1A/C are awkward enough at takeoff and landing on these aircraft so facing someone through the whole flight would be terrible. Tbh I try and avoid these seats, despite the legroom, for this reason.

I think it’s definitely worth highlighting this to BA so it is less likely to happen again.

For goodness sake- do not highlight it to BA, you will just give them ideas!
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:11 pm

The point that I raised originally - that it's the Captain's call - really makes writing an email to customer service, or trying to "make sure it doesn't happen again", a waste of time and energy.

Most flight crew fly standby when they are commuting, or going on holiday; and when a flight is full and there are no more flights that day and they want to get to their destination - well, they know the deal, and they hope that their fellow staff are kind enough to let them board. So don't expect any change in policy.

Moreover, non rev passengers only use jump seats when no other seats in any cabin are available (hence the OP's inability to move to another seat - because there wasn't any).
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:52 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by nyjoe4
The point that I raised originally - that it's the Captain's call - really makes writing an email to customer service, or trying to "make sure it doesn't happen again", a waste of time and energy.

Most flight crew fly standby when they are commuting, or going on holiday; and when a flight is full and there are no more flights that day and they want to get to their destination - well, they know the deal, and they hope that their fellow staff are kind enough to let them board. So don't expect any change in policy.

Moreover, non rev passengers only use jump seats when no other seats in any cabin are available (hence the OP's inability to move to another seat - because there wasn't any).
I think the point here was that they were originally in another jumpseat at the back but were moved because they were in the way! It’s not occupying a jumpseat per se that is the issue, it’s that they were sat in the double jumpseat by D1L during cruise, and facing business class customers in 1A and C that was the issue - that’s the way I read the OP’s issue. The jumpseat at D1L would be occupied by the SCCM and another crew member for takeoff and landing - ie it’s not spare.

Can this be factually right though? Does an A320 have jumpseat space in the cabin for 6? IE is there seating for 4 at the back? The 320 would have had a minimum of 4 operating cabin crew. Are there not 2 spare seats on the flight deck? I wonder whether they were sat there for takeoff and landing.

Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:26 am

Just because a captain says so does not mean it is right and, whilst it may happen at the time, the individual still has to face the consequences.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Can this be factually right though? Does an A320 have jumpseat space in the cabin for 6? IE is there seating for 4 at the back? The 320 would have had a minimum of 4 operating cabin crew. Are there not 2 spare seats on the flight deck? I wonder whether they were sat there for takeoff and landing.
At LHR, we have 6 cabin jumpseats versus a normal crew complement of 4. The two spare are at the rear. I presume LGW would be the same, though obviously can’t be sure. There’s also one spare jumpseat in the flight deck, but only staff travel passengers who are crew (either flight or cabin) can use these.
esledo likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:11 am

I think the point here was that they were originally in another jumpseat at the back but were moved because they were in the way! It’s not occupying a jumpseat per se that is the issue, it’s that they were sat in the double jumpseat by D1L during cruise, and facing business class customers in 1A and C that was the issue - that’s the way I read the OP’s issue. The jumpseat at D1L would be occupied by the SCCM and another crew member for takeoff and landing - ie it’s not spare.

Unless they are flight deck authorised they cannot sit there. There are many more staff than those few authorised to sit in the flight deck.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Sep 22, 2018 at 2:20 am Reason: Fix quote box
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:39 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
It’s amazing to me that people will wax lyrically or scoff at the entitlement of someone that nudges ahead in a queue or places a bag on a spare seat.

And nod their head in agreement at someone exclaiming DYKWIA, I’m a PAYING club passenger with ROW 1 gold privileges and they dared sit someone in my field of vision!
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:52 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by amt
It’s amazing to me that people will wax lyrically or scoff at the entitlement of someone that nudges ahead in a queue or places a bag on a spare seat.

And nod their head in agreement at someone exclaiming DYKWIA, I’m a PAYING club passenger with ROW 1 gold privileges and they dared sit someone in my field of vision!
Its not always a sense of entitlement. Some people (and I would include myself) are extremely shy and don’t want to have to sit facing someone in such close proximity. Look how many people dislike the CW situation with the screen down. Buying a business class ticket should provide a greater sense of personal space which in the above circumstances has in my opinion been breached.
PAL62V likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:03 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I just think they should put a bulkhead (and wardrobe) in. From a crew’s perspective, some sectors from LGW can be quite long. Presumably crew might want to take a break / have a meal and they either have to go to the back (and be interrupted by ET using the toilet) or sit at the front staring at the cabin. Try taking a break in plain view of customers. It doesn’t make for a happy combination. Might be ok for a LCC but CE is a premium cabin. I don’t blame the operating crew on the day - they have to make do with what they’ve got.
esledo likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:41 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I actually agree with the OP. I rather suspect that they were moved up the front so they were watered if not fed from the CE galley. I suspect that CE was full. Whether ET was remains to be seen. The CSM clearly was being defensive until she realised that you were hopping mad. I suspect that I know who it might have been. Was she blond and East European? I say this because I had an issue with her as she couldn’t understand why her handbag up in the overhead lockers was a problem. That apart, she was lovely I have to say. Naturally, all the storage space in the bulkhead has gone as well, so I do have some sympathy.

Those non-bulkhead seats cause problems with people queuing for the toilet. What makes me maddest 😡 of all are crew bags in the forward compartments as I have said. If she had said that to me, I’d have said that there’s space down the back where she must have spent take-off, just because there’s no room for you to put her, don’t dump her on us. Her role and ours is different, we pay full whack. She most likely doesn’t. When I flew I never went stand-by even in the last years when I commuted from Nice. I always paid HI and my fares for own travel as neither of us would travel Space Available.

Complain away. It’s not good enough.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:45 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
I just think they should put a bulkhead (and wardrobe) in.

easyJet do have a partition (no wardrobe) and 186Y seats on their A320s (177 on GATx), so it can be done with 29” pitch throughout.
There must be a trade off - a partition means less legroom throughout the cabin or fewer seats this higher fares or less profit. The GATx don’t have the spaceflex layout at the rear, like easyJet and the NEOs do. Perhaps in the future BA will shrink the galleys, install a partition and stick an extra row in the back, so LGW A320s could have 183 seats, so be careful what you wish for!
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:52 am

Anyone have any photos of this area? I'm struggling to recall it.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
As requested ...

The bit of Galley equipment shown there was temporary, but then the CC have very little Galley space to work with.
The floor area is also used by people queueing to use the forward loo.
RG1X likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:07 am

Oh yeah, screw those seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.