Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

CCR Baby-Changing Room is also the Prayer Room?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 4:31 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher

Went to use the baby-changing room in the CCR yesterday, and it was occupied.

Waited for 10mins, before the CCR Desk Receptionist knocked on the door to double check it was occupied. No response from the user, so she asked one of the bathroom attendants who replied "Oh, someone is probably using it as a Prayer Room".

My little one desperately needed changing, but before I could explain my exasperation, a person came out of the bathroom.

Now here's the interesting bit - the occupant was the Bathrooms Manager, who emerged and told me he had been cleaning vomit from the bathroom. This was a blatant lie (no cleaning products etc).

What was still in the bathroom though, was his prayer mat.

I reported it to the Lounge Manager, who then sent a BA member of staff to see me. She agreed the attendant had lied (backed up by the other bathroom staff), and promised it would be looked at.

To top things off, the Bathroom Manager later came out of a cabana with his prayer-mat, all the while someone was at the CCR desk asking if a cabana was free!

Are there not prayer rooms in T5?

M
Calum likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Of course there is. But near the domestic gates eg not located where an employee of the lounge complex can use it during their working hours
Whether it was for praying or just for having a nap, using client facilities during working hours is a big no-no!
MSPeconomist, wrp96, Calum and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Were you sat out on the terrace? Baby in a red pushchair?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
I would also have made a complaint, simply because of the blatant lie. If the gentleman had come out and admitted he was in there as it offered a quiet place to pray, I would have been somewhat frustrated but would have let it go. I've noticed a seemingly growing tendency by individuals in service industries towards deception or lying to hide errors or to smooth over problems that should be resolved otherwise. When blatant and obvious, it treats customers like fools and misses the point that brute honesty and an apology can resolve most situations for most people satisfactorily.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:42 am

Sadly it seems lying comes naturally in BA these days.

Presumably a BABS trainee?

Why not just say 'sorry, it was prayer time, I used the room as it was free'?
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by simons1

Why not just say 'sorry, it was prayer time, I used the room as it was free'?
Perhaps they have done so in the past and have received a less than sympathetic or understanding reaction hence feeling the need for the white lie.
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do BA rules for employees or any national/EC laws say that the employee has the right to use a baby changing room (does this qualify as a facility to serve those with special needs, specifically those traveling with small children or with adults who use diapers?) for prayer time during his/her workday? IMO the use of a cabana for prayers is a bit less of an issue as BA might permit prayer time to occur in any available quiet/private area, although it's still not good from a customer service perspective.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Perhaps they have done so in the past and have received a less than sympathetic or understanding reaction hence feeling the need for the white lie.
I don't understand why it is a white lie? Is that intended to indicate such dishonesty is acceptable?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:26 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't understand why it is a white lie? Is that intended to indicate such dishonesty is acceptable?
That room is so rarely used that I imagine the individual concerned has used it for Salah for months without issue. A few years ago the room was inadvertently locked up and it was about a week before anyone noticed. Now I doubt official permission was given to this, at best a blind eye was turned to its use. There is a prayer room by gate 7 (and another landside by Zone A, also there are prayer facilities in B and C). It's not a nice place for prayer, it is used quite heavily and I think that HAL should provide far better facilities, but that's another issue. It's about 5 minutes walk away. My guess the person was trying not to get themselves into trouble, life on £10.20 an hour can be pretty precarious, but lying about Saleh (or anything else) isn't great, assorted ha'dith explain why and the possible remedies.
bisonrav, Scots_Al, Dan72 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I'm sure you've told a few to help try and spare someone's feelings or embarrassment.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:58 pm

British Airways customers and the infant children of passengers should not be inconvenienced. The private religious prayer requirements of individual staff members are no concern of mine.
diamantaire likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:05 pm

"Are there not prayer rooms in T5"?

There is no requirement to provide prayer rooms for staff.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I'm sure you've told a few to help try and spare someone's feelings or embarrassment.
Speak for yourself but I never lie to my customers. It gets doubly embarrassing when you get found out to be talking complete b/s.
windscar likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:38 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Airprox
Were you sat out on the terrace? Baby in a red pushchair?
Indeed I was - baby in red is mine!

Where were you?

Originally Posted by AnaTravel
"Are there not prayer rooms in T5"?

There is no requirement to provide prayer rooms for staff.
Whether there is or isn't a "requirement", I do appreciate and respect the needs of others who follow their religions.

One of the things the BA staff said to me, was that if it was a customer, there would be nothing they could do. I responded that if the person was praying, I'd have less of an issue than him lying to my face.

If someone needs to pray, they shouldn't feel uncomfortable about doing so.

M
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:43 pm

"Whether there is or isn't a "requirement", I do appreciate and respect the needs of others who follow their religions."

I appreciate the needs and requirements of those who do not wish to have other's private religious beliefs interrupt their daily business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.