Alcohol consumption in CE

Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:17 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Well oiled would be that US Airways Flight I took from DTW-ORD, where I managed 8 x Glenlivet Miniatures. I was the only passenger in F awake at the late hour, and the FA in F was more than happy to oblige.
This was after TSA decided to secondary screen me.
What. a. headache. I had the next day.
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
NHS uses 6 Units on one occassion as binge drinking so yes you’re were drinking excessively technically and annoyance when others comment on the amount you drink is an indication on the CAGE questionnaire of alcohol issues. I suspect that if we looked at the alcohol consumption havvits of FTers, average consumption and health risks are likely to be higher than the general population, contributing to the 3m deaths a year around the world perhaps.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
6 units eh, so essentially 94%* of the country have been binge drinkers at some point in their lives then, including may I add 99%** of NHS staff i've come into contact with.

* made up #
** another made up number
Ancient Observer likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
On my weekly commutes I used to be standing in the galley (by invitation, I may add) chatting to the crew and sipping champagne (after they are done with meal service naturally - not interrupting) until the "10 minutes to landing" warning - only to be told I should stay a bit longer... When the landing gear came down, we mutually agreed that we all better sit down

It's all about how you interact with the crew, to be honest - don't read too much into it.
There's always something inherently sad about drinking with those that don't, or can't. Sightly rosy perceptions on one side, ennui on the other, are par for the course.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by navylad
NHS uses 6 Units on one occassion as binge drinking so yes you’re were drinking excessively technically and annoyance when others comment on the amount you drink is an indication on the CAGE questionnaire of alcohol issues. I suspect that if we looked at the alcohol consumption havvits of FTers, average consumption and health risks are likely to be higher than the general population, contributing to the 3m deaths a year around the world perhaps.
Other countries on the other hand say that up to 35 units a week is fine...

And calling 2.5 pints binge drinking is a bit strange

​​​
Jim72 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by mario
Other countries on the other hand say that up to 35 units a week is fine...

And calling 2.5 pints binge drinking is a bit strange

​​​
not really, the reality is there is a scale of risk, the more you drink the more you are at risk but importantly even small volumes carry risk. UK guidance was updated in 2016 taking into account the most up to date evidence, meanwhile the WHO has recently said that no drinking is the only safe drinking limit.

if you read the actual guidelines, what it says is
  • Alcohol guidelines do not represent an absolutely safe amount to drink; they are intended to keep a person’s health risks from alcohol to a minimum.
  • The risk associated with regularly drinking 14 units per week is similar to the harms of other routine activities, such as driving a car.

Last edited by navylad; Sep 25, 2018 at 4:53 am
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by TWCLAM
6 units eh, so essentially 94%* of the country have been binge drinkers at some point in their lives then, including may I add 99%** of NHS staff i've come into contact with.

* made up #
** another made up number
actually, only 7% of the country drink more than the current Uk govement limit, it’s a bit of a fallacy that everyone drinks more, likely as a result of masculine culture of considering alcohol tolerance a positive asset.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
There's always something inherently sad about drinking with those that don't, or can't. Sightly rosy perceptions on one side, ennui on the other, are par for the course.
Well, in general I would refrain calling people I don’t know ‘sad’ based on limited information (or actually, just at all..). But maybe that’s just my normal courtesy towards other people. If invited for a genuinely enjoyable conversation which goes both ways, then what exactly is your issue with that? - and moving to the galley is actually a courtesy to other pax in the forward cabin..

My post was merely putting the original post into perspective and an attempt of putting the poster’s mind at ease.

But hey ho, guess you have enough grounds to judge
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat

actually, only 7% of the country drink more than the current Uk govement limit, it’s a bit of a fallacy that everyone drinks more, likely as a result of masculine culture of considering alcohol tolerance a positive asset.
This isn’t true. In 2016, 31% of adult males and 17% of adult females said their weekly consumption was more than 14 units
Ancient Observer and TWCLAM like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by peck

This isn’t true. In 2016, 31% of adult males and 17% of adult females said their weekly consumption was more than 14 units
This depends on your source, for example...
In 2016, 10% of men and 7% of women in England said that their average weekly alcohol consumption was more than 14 units but no more than 21 units [NHS Digital Health Survey 2017]

You must also remember the recommended number of Units reduced in 2016 too.

Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:52 am

This depends on your source, for example...
In 2016, 10% of men and 7% of women in England said that their average weekly alcohol consumption was more than 14 units but no more than 21 units [NhS Digital Health Survey 2017]

Yep agreed. And what about those above 21 units...?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:58 am

Yep agreed. And what about those above 21 units...?
i think your arguing with figures but ignoring the actual point. Using a figure which you have of more than 14 Units at a time when guidelines were for less than or equal to 21 is irrelevant, do you have any stats since the recommendations changed?

More people in the UK are now t-total than are drinkers, but yet the perception given is that most people drink. [Source ONS]
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:06 am

i think your arguing with figures but ignoring the actual point. More people in the UK are now t-total than are drinkers, but yet the perception given is that most people drink.
I’m really not. I’m unsure where you’re getting your figures but you’re completely incorrect. Might be worth having another look...? You’re saying 50%+ of the adult population is tea total, but drinkaware doesn’t agree by some margin:

“In England in 2016, 17% of men and 22% of women said that they had not drunk any alcohol in the last year”

Apologies for the OT here but I felt this was so far off the mark it needed correcting.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:15 am

i think your arguing with figures but ignoring the actual point. Using a figure which you have of more than 14 Units at a time when guidelines were for less than or equal to 21 is irrelevant, do you have any stats since the recommendations changed?
Again, you haven’t understood how this data is compiled and presented. Just read through this properly:

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/researc...onsumption-uk/

(My last post on the subject - sorry everyone for going so OT!)
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:16 am

I’m really not. I’m unsure where you’re getting your figures but you’re completely incorrect. Might be worth having another look...? You’re saying 50%+ of the adult population is tea total, but drinkaware doesn’t agree by some margin:

“In England in 2016, 17% of men and 22% of women said that they had not drunk any alcohol in the last year”

Apologies for the OT here but I felt this was so far off the mark it needed correcting.
i gave my source, the 2017 Adult Drinking Habbits in Great Britain, Office for National Statistics, but yes you right you have taken us way off topic with irrelevancies.

as you can see it states 29.2 million people are estimated to drink in the UK, with a population of 65.1 million.

Last edited by navylad; Sep 24, 2018 at 10:27 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.