Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alcohol consumption in CE

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by navylad

i gave my source, the 2017 Adult Drinking Habbits in Great Britain, Officr for National Statistics.
The ONS data suggests 20% of individuals aged 16 and over were teetotal in 2017. Go here: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...drinkinghabits

Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat

but yes you right you have taken us way off topic with irrelevancies.
I believe wildly inaccurate posts like yours should be corrected. It’s clear you’re either incapable or unwilling to do this for some reason. I’m impressed you’re now happy to deem it irrelevant given you started it in the first place, but there we are.

Apologies again for the OTs folks.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by peck

Again, you haven’t understood how this data is compiled and presented. Just read through this properly:

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/researc...onsumption-uk/

(My last post on the subject - sorry everyone for going so OT!)
yes, definitely not the case that the majority of adults do not drink

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...atbritain/2017

• 20.4% of survey respondents reported that they did not drink alcohol at all.
In fact the proportion of adults responding who said they had drunk in just the last week (never mind the last year) averaged over 57%.

For those who are tee total. please do not worry. I am doing my best to make up for you
rapidex, peck, Takiteasy and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
I flew from GLA to LHR on Saturday and the crew happily served me 4 rounds of Tanqueray and tonic. All of them proactively offered. I even got the last one in a plastic cup to enable me to land with it. Great service on such a short flight.
endoman and argonath like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:09 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by KARFA
yes, definitely not the case that the majority of adults do not drink

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...atbritain/2017

I found the assertion that most people did not quite unbelievable. Apart from religious or medical reasons, most do in my experience. They may not drink much, but they still do.

Still this has nothing to do with the price of fish which is whether the remark alleged to have been made to the OP constituted anything other then a bit of friendliness. Most seem to think so from what I can gather
HIDDY and Takiteasy like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage

i gave my source, the 2017 Adult Drinking Habbits in Great Britain, Office for National Statistics, but yes you right you have taken us way off topic with irrelevancies.

as you can see it states 29.2 million people are estimated to drink in the UK, with a population of 65.1 million.
The problem seems more acute with navylads: https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN0XX27K

As to the OP’s question I would generally cautiously side with BA but how one takes these comments is so personal and dependent on the moment that am not sure there is a right or wrong. Say it and you’re rude, don’t say anything and you’re bland. One of BA’s few merits is to have crews with personalities rather than robots...
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold

I actually got given the bottle on a SH from the Nordics, think the gentleman wanted some peace and quiet, instead of constantly topping me up...
​​​​​​​
ATCOlad likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
tbh @navylad you don't need a survey taken by the medical profession or commissioned by HM Gvmnt. It's well known that societal pressure / guilt leads most people to lie to their GP about their smoking and drinking levels making such data massively unreliable at any given time since such studies were commissioned.

I count men & women from all 3 emergency services as good friends and many a NHS worker ( more broadly) and they from personal experience wouldn't even consider consuming that little on a night out if they've moved onto their rest days.
HIDDY and Sealink like this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA, SW, IAG
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I found the assertion that most people did not quite unbelievable. Apart from religious or medical reasons, most do in my experience. They may not drink much, but they still do.

Still this has nothing to do with the price of fish which is whether the remark alleged to have been made to the OP constituted anything other then a bit of friendliness. Most seem to think so from what I can gather
Most here might think so, but i think they are wrong.

It was rude, plain and simple.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by amanx
Most here might think so, but i think they are wrong.

It was rude, plain and simple.
goodness. do people have nothing else in their life to be stressed about other than a flippant, seemingly in good jest, comment?

mixed fleet longhaul is already bad enough, can one imagine if you couldn't have a joke with them?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Glad I’m not the only one to be regularly given a plastic cup on the descent.

When it’s accompanied by another 2 mini-bottles “to keep Sir going during the taxi”, you know you’ve got a classic BA crew. 🙂
mtikky likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:21 am

Never had a problem with this in CE or Y when it was free. I am usually proactive in asking for a plastic glass with my final order. My record for a domestic was 4 G + T's on a very quiet Saturday evening LHR-GLA flight.

Recently in the states I was pleasantly surprised by the AA domestic first service. I had heard all sorts of stories of how parsimonious they could be. Pre departure drinks offered on both flights and whenever my glass was empty I was offered another drink.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ATCOlad
we had three glasses of wine each and a small spirit.
A bit over sensitive I think, but it depends on what the tone of the crew was I guess. Had to be there really. Are we talking 3 GLASSES or 3 (small) BOTTLES of wine?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Cw novice
Recently in the states I was pleasantly surprised by the AA domestic first service. I had heard all sorts of stories of how parsimonious they could be. Pre departure drinks offered on both flights and whenever my glass was empty I was offered another drink.
In my limited experience with AA it’s been flood or drought. Either pouring it down my throat with gay abandon or looking at me askance when I ask for a second drink on a 2-3 hour flight. Glad you had the former.
Cw novice likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by TWCLAM
tbh @navylad It's well known that societal pressure / guilt leads most people to lie to their GP about their smoking and drinking levels making such data massively unreliable at any given time since such studies were commissioned.
Indeed, there is good evidence this happens. For example, in the UK vastly more alcohol is sold than people claim to consume, to the extent where people possibly drink twice as much they admit:

Reported alcohol consumption based on surveys that ask people how much and how often they drink typically amounts to 40%-60% of total alcohol sales in studies conducted internationally. This was roughly confirmed for consumption in England in a 2013 study by University College London and Health Survey for England
Source: https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/research/data/consumption-uk/

The ONS also caveat the numbers referenced upthread on this basis:

It is likely that the estimates underestimate drinking levels to some extent. Social surveys consistently produce estimates of alcohol consumption that are lower than the levels indicated by alcohol sales data. This is likely to be because people either consciously or unconsciously underestimate their alcohol consumption.
Source: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/drugusealcoholandsmoking/bulletins/opinionsandlifestylesurveyadultdrinkinghabitsingre atbritain/2017

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.