How many of people with status are there?

Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
I would have thought this might be commercially sensitive information?
Absolutely it is.

Best thing is to have a poke round on the dark web and find it there.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: Mucci; BAEC GGL; (In memoriam: KLM Flying Dutchman Royal Wing & FB Platinum Elite)
Very true- forgot that! whenever I think of FOIs my twitch comes back!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav

Absolutely it is.

Best thing is to have a poke round on the dark web and find it there.
I like the idea that all status passengers lurk in the dark web. I’ll let my boss - Lord D. Vader - know he has forced me to the dark side.

Doc Copper
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper

I like the idea that all status passengers lurk in the dark web. I’ll let my boss - Lord D. Vader - know he has forced me to the dark side.

And I like the idea that a series of such raw (non-financial) numbers, if somehow made available to either another carrier (or simply to Joe Public), would be of any serious use or value.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
I believe LGW still have a red carpet they roll out for any GGL's on their bucket and spade flights.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
So what’s the answer to the original question (I’m not up for reading through some very old threads)?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Will100
So what’s the answer to the original question (I’m not up for reading through some very old threads)?
Only BA knows and they aren't about to tell. Saves you a lot of reading.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Just curious if this knowledge is known outside of BA? For curiosity I would love to know how many...

People fly BA in a year, and of which how many are:

Blue 16,785,453 ( pending today's sign-ups)
Bronze 12,665,169
Silver 9,280,117
Gold 876,009
GGL 24,870
GGLFL 1,241

Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by smokie36
I believe LGW still have a red carpet they roll out for any GGL's on their bucket and spade flights.
I saw one once, but it was rolled up just before I got to the F Desks

Whichever, apart from natural curiousity, I don’t give a <whatsit> about how many Golds there are .. so long as we are two
smokie36 and firstlight like this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Assuming this needs dividing by the respective average flights per year according to status.

Certainly starts to get too complicated with far too many variables to get anywhere close to accurate.

It it would be great if one of friends from BA could leak some data 🤭
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What I always find funny is how much the Gold number is inflated in these past threads. If one is talking strictly BAEC Gold, the number has never been 70-100k as some have surmised, I believe it topped off somewhere short of 50,000 about five years ago (something like 45k IIRC) and now probably hovers around 40k. A general rule of thumb across all carriers is that with some variation is:

1) Top (regular) tiers generally are 1/2-1% of any airlines membership.
2) In a three tier program, there is generally a factor of 4-5 between numbers of passengers (again regular tiers, not GGL or Premier), So if there are 40,000 Golds, there are 180,000 Silvers and about 600,000 Bronze (The BA Bronze metric is a bit skewed for a number of reasons). These numbers do of course fluctuate year to year.
3) Super tiers on BA (Premiere and GGL) generally do not exceed 3,500 in a given year (In essence 1% of Gold, so in reality 1% of the almost 1%)
4) The ideal level for any airline is to have 10%-15% of your customers with some sort of status.
5) Top tier passengers for traditional trunk carriers generally make up 5-10% of an airlines revenue and all status customers can make up more than 40% of an airlines revenue.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm not one of those with BAEC status so you can forget including me in any figure plucked out of thin air.

Last edited by HIDDY; Sep 20, 2018 at 6:19 pm
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
more skewed than that. My first BA-GOLD was by virtue of MH flight TP's , and 2x LHR-AMS for the 4x BA flights. Must be loads of BA elites due to directing flight earnings to BA

not all BA-Golds fly on BA, especially imho those like me mainly residing outside of the uk
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by hfly
What I always find funny is how much the Gold number is inflated in these past threads. If one is talking strictly BAEC Gold, the number has never been 70-100k as some have surmised, I believe it topped off somewhere short of 50,000 about five years ago (something like 45k IIRC) and now probably hovers around 40k. A general rule of thumb across all carriers is that with some variation is:

1) Top (regular) tiers generally are 1/2-1% of any airlines membership.
2) In a three tier program, there is generally a factor of 4-5 between numbers of passengers (again regular tiers, not GGL or Premier), So if there are 40,000 Golds, there are 180,000 Silvers and about 600,000 Bronze (The BA Bronze metric is a bit skewed for a number of reasons). These numbers do of course fluctuate year to year.
3) Super tiers on BA (Premiere and GGL) generally do not exceed 3,500 in a given year (In essence 1% of Gold, so in reality 1% of the almost 1%)
4) The ideal level for any airline is to have 10%-15% of your customers with some sort of status.
5) Top tier passengers for traditional trunk carriers generally make up 5-10% of an airlines revenue and all status customers can make up more than 40% of an airlines revenue.
Sounds like an elaborate way of saying you don't know the answer to the OP's question?
LondonElite and subject2load like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
Sounds like an elaborate way of saying you don't know the answer to the OP's question?
That’s so cynical. How very dare you !!

I myself knew immediately that all the analysis offered was 100% bang on the money, and had no reason to doubt it in any way. It was the use of insider terminology such as general rule of thumb, and ideal level, and, in particular, the revelatory fact that figures fluctuate from year to year which gave the clue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.