Wiki Posts
Search

Question re cancelled flight and downgrade

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Question re cancelled flight and downgrade

Apologies for what is probably a frequent question but hard to search on the phone.

Just had a notification re a cancelled flight tonight. Auto rebooked onto an earlier flight but downgraded from club Europe to Economy. Called and offered an even earlier flight in C but too early for us so stuck with the originally rebooked flight in Y.

Will we automatically get the 40TP or will we have to claim?

i was told to email customer relations later re compensation. What am I entitled to? On the app it said the cancellation was due to severe weather(?) so not sure if EC261 applies. Will any compensation result in only being awarded TP for the Y cabin flown? (This is the last flight of my TP year so the TP are critical!)

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Depending on the flight distance, you are entitled to 30%, 50% or 75% reimbursement of the cost of the sector

It doesn't matter why it occured
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You should get the Original Routing Credit, particularly if it was a BA ticket and BA marketed.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by britenbsas
You are unlikely to get 40 automatically, but once the flight posts contact BA for ORC and as noted you should get it corrected to 40.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:07 am

Apologies for what is probably a frequent question but hard to search on the phone.

Just had a notification re a cancelled flight tonight. Auto rebooked onto an earlier flight but downgraded from club Europe to Economy. Called and offered an even earlier flight in C but too early for us so stuck with the originally rebooked flight in Y.

i was told to email customer relations later re compensation. What am I entitled to? On the app it said the cancellation was due to severe weather(?) so not sure if EC261 applies. Will any compensation result in only being awarded TP for the Y cabin flown? (This is the last flight of my TP year so the TP are critical!)

Thanks in advance.
You wouldnt be entitled to EU compensation for a cancelled flight if cancelled flight was due to weather. But you would get downgrade compensation still.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Thanks for the replies. What’s the best way to go about getting compensation for the downgrade? Is there a specific form to fill out or do I just email customer relations?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There is a form on the website.

please note that you are not asking for compensation for the downgrade but a reimbursement of part of the fare. It may be pedantic but the wording of EU261 is quite clear.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: BA, JAL
This exactly happened to me in July.
I suggest contacting someone on the phone as by email they are utterly useless.
My experience: 6 emails to get back what I paid additionally in business (versus economy). Then ignored all emails about differences in tax. Eventually had to phone up. No such thing as compensation offered. Terrible people to deal with - just using up remaining avios and switching elsewhere. Still haven't been paid back extra taxes owed. Pathetic.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Thanks for the replies. What’s the best way to go about getting compensation for the downgrade? Is there a specific form to fill out or do I just email customer relations?
Interesting scenarios because yes they’ve placed you in Y but have also offered you J. They could have given you the latter without seeking your preference, with no EU261 reimbursement or compensation.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by pauldb

Interesting scenarios because yes they’ve placed you in Y but have also offered you J. They could have given you the latter without seeking your preference, with no EU261 reimbursement or compensation.
BA still has to issue a refund of the fare difference. EU261 may not apply if the OP turned down the flight in CE, but there will be a refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.