Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club World without alcohol - yeek!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Club World without alcohol - yeek!

Having a nice glass of something fizzy has always been part of travelling Club World for me. However, as well as being diabetic, I now have a slight medical problem which means I shouldn't drink alcohol. I would probably be able to have one Buck's Fizz on boarding but that would be it.

With a CW flight to Sydney coming up, what alternatives are there? I don't like diet Cokes or similar diet drinks and can only have limited fruit juice - is it going to be water only (do they have plenty of sparkling available?) or do they have any low/no alcohol wine?

Do they have lime cordial on board for a lime and soda? Anything else interesting?

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
My usual is half sparkling water and half orange juice, as I can't drink alcohol. The diabetic side does throw a spanner in the works though, as I typically find the non-alcoholic drinks do have a lot of sugar. I usually have the OJ mentioned or a ginger ale, then switch to sparkling water and/or tea to cut back on the sugar. No idea about cordial, but I don't think so.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
On-board stocks are likely to be depressingly slim ... CC on here may advise.

If you have particular personal preference, the only thing I can suggest is to try and buy what you fancy Air-side. Or take a container to the Lounge (I didn't say that, if anyone asks, but I take you as a special case). Sorry not to be more positive.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:46 pm

I find a tonic water with lime is a good airplane drink when I'm not imbibing alcohol. Perhaps they have a light/low sugar tonic on board? I can't recall offhand whether BA have that or not. You should at least be able to get sparkling water with lime.
hessbo likes this.

Last edited by Buster; Sep 19, 2018 at 12:47 pm Reason: sense
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I did a month without alcohol earlier this year, with 6 TATL F sectors during that period. It was awful to watch everyone else drink LPGS while I was on water!

I have an F trip to Sydney coming up in a few weeks, so will make sure I drink your share of bubbles on the plane
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
I would personally bring my own tea bags. Except for coffee and water I don't think there will be much else for you, sadly.

Specialty teas are very tasty, though, and I would hope the crew can help with hot water... not sure how that works in Club World, though.

Oh, also Tesseire does pretty decent sugar-free fruit syrups. A couple 100ml containers would do well for a flight.
CloudGazer likes this.

Last edited by thebigben; Sep 19, 2018 at 1:16 pm
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The OH likes Cranberry Juice ... is that an option, and buyable airside?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:11 pm

Tomato juice has a much lower sugar content than orange. A Virgin Mary is well within the capabilities of most cabin crew & feels like an indulgence rather than a sacrifice. Otherwise the Fever Tree light tonic water is made from all natural ingredients with no sweeteners & a low sugar content.
altabello likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
you could fill a (a couple) of 100ml bottle with some lime cordial as that would get through security.

Again not advocating (ok I am) you could slip a couple of cans of ginger ale etc in your bag at LHR. Though I'm not sure what you would do on the SIN-SYD leg
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The OP is planning on being virginal, alcohol-wise, so a Bloody Mary won’t fix it!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:20 pm

Sorry if I wasn't clear, by Virgin Mary I meant a Bloody Mary minus the alcohol (tomato/Worcester sauce/pepper).
Admiral Ackbar and T8191 like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Decent some Seedlip into 100ml containers and ask the crew to knock a non-alcoholic GnT for you. It’s good stuff

Enjoy feeling much fresher after the flight too 😊
origin likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:24 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I've been in this malarkey for the last 40 years or so. Longer in fact, so welcome to my teetotal world. I'm also not too fond of diet soda drinks, the acidic sweeteners zing straight on my tongue on contact. So yes, water, tea, coffee and above all sparkling water. Over time you can tell the difference between difference waters and between soda water and sparkling water. There is a Fever Tree tonic water which is "naturally light", it uses fructrose rather than sweeteners, so no zing, and that is just under 3% sugars, compared to 7% for the main tonic or 12% for something like ginger ale. One thing I sometimes do is mix a small amount of apple juice into sparkling water. The sugar tax unfortunately means that things like bitter lemon and ginger beer now have some sweeteners in them but it's much less than in true diet drinks so you can perhaps dash a small 100 ml tin of bitter lemon over 4 or 5 glasses of sparkling water. You will need to talk to the crew about this since in CW the service standard is not to hand over the tin unless you ask for it.

I can only remember about 2 flights where there was no sparkling water, it rarely runs out, and in both cases I think it was due to being placed into the wrong canisters or crew lack of familiarity. I tend to buy some sparkling water in the shops in T5 or T3 if I am not connecting on to a further flight: it is intended for the hotel on arrival (many Asian locations don't really do sparkling water, even USA isn't that easy in this regard) but it's a useful emergency stock just in case.

The other good news is that the Union coffee is now much more palatable and is now available in lounges, Club Europe and Club World.
VSLover, our_kid, origin and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CWS ... you ARE the Oracle
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:40 pm

Also see the vibrant discussion here: Bitter Lemon
billyb750 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.