Can I claim my in-laws avios?

Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Can I claim my in-laws avios?

My father in law flew with BA from ny to eu and back. In econ so granted we aren't talking a lot of miles but... can I claim them? he doesn't care...

If I can, how?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
You cant, he can and then could transfer them to you for a transfer fee, given its only a. Few unlikely to be worth it.
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:37 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Deleted - outdated information

Last edited by msm2000uk; Sep 19, 2018 at 8:48 am
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Great! Thank you!

Then I can do it for both my father in law and mother in law? Household will be part my existing or is it separate?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Create a Household Account, and add him to it - that way you can use them without a transfer, albeit you may have to claim he lives at your address.
<ahem!> A large slice of inappropriate behaviour involved in doing that. I’m surprised and sorry to see a Moderator here proposing a blatant breach of BAEC T&C.
WorldLux and 'andad like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Yes you meet some people who simply don't care about avios and TPs.

Shocking I know.

But it is up to them to claim them not you to create an account on your in laws behalf simply so you can benefit.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by bklgafly
Great! Thank you!

Then I can do it for both my father in law and mother in law? Household will be part my existing or is it separate?
You certainly can. But, you may not.

Will be interesting to see how BA reacts to tickets which may have been purchased in the US with a US address and US APIS information on a US credit card, all of which is sitting in BA's handy little data base.
Sealink likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
..., all of which is sitting in BA's handy little data base.
OT: And everyone that had a go at BA's IT systems.
@bklgafly: Household accounts are only available to passengers living in one household.
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
“Friends and Family” offers a transfer of Avios option, but it is only free to Golds and, in the case, transferring the wrong way.

My work-around was to transfer Avios to both my BiL and SiL (registered properly as Friends and Family) to boost their (Blue) HHA to prevent their small balance expiring ... to subsequently let them do a booking for us using their meagre holding (either as a Reward or to abate the cash cost of a flight. Complicated and inconvenient, of course.

Last edited by T8191; Sep 19, 2018 at 8:40 am Reason: detail
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by bklgafly
You may want to note BA's T&C:-
18.1.2 ... All Household Account members must permanently reside at the same residential address. ...
If your parents-in-law qualify to be part of a household account with you, then it is in effect a type of pooling arrangement in relation to your existing individual accounts, which you will still have.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Silver
A handful of Avios is not worth having to move in with the in-laws
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:45 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by T8191
<ahem!> A large slice of inappropriate behaviour involved in doing that. Im surprised and sorry to see a Moderator here proposing a blatant breach of BAEC T&C.
I was of the belief that it could be done if someone temporarily resides at your address too, but evidently the rules have changed to permanent residency being the key element.

M
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I was of the belief that it could be done if someone temporarily resides at your address too, but evidently the rules have changed to permanent residency being the key element.
M
That isn't what you said, you openly advocated a deception:

'...albeit you may have to claim he lives at your address.'
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by T8191
<ahem!> A large slice of inappropriate behaviour involved in doing that. I’m surprised and sorry to see a Moderator here proposing a blatant breach of BAEC T&C.
As a non Moderator, I would suggest doing what was suggested have your in-laws 'move in' with you, at least in a BAEC basis and hten create a household account.

BA are not going to care and I suspect if Uncle T did not HATE CHILDREN and had a couple of his own who flew irregularly, they would all still be living in Jersey!
Filthy Monkey likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
As a non Moderator, I would suggest doing what was suggested have your in-laws 'move in' with you, at least in a BAEC basis and hten create a household account.

BA are not going to care and I suspect if Uncle T did not HATE CHILDREN and had a couple of his own who flew irregularly, they would all still be living in Jersey!
Why would you suggest that BA won't care. There are any number of threads here from people who did roughly what you advocate and suggest BA won't care about and then found out that BA did.

BA may not have the most sophisticated IT known to humankind, but this stuff is relatively easy to find.
T8191 and orbitmic like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.