Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA 788 vs AA 788 business class seats

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
FWIW, I prefer the 788/789 BA product over the AA 788. The AA 788 seat is too narrow for me compared to the BA seat. The BA product is especially nice if you get one of the several seats with direct aisle access (eg 7A/7K).

I haven’t flown the AA 789, but - if I have correctly read about their seat choice for that plane - I’ve flown with that seat in a different plane model and found the “foot coffin” too restrictive. So, again, from my perspective, BA wins here.

OTOH, as many others have said, daytime flights are usually nicer than nighttime, if you have the option.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Oops that’s a very good point!

AA90 is from ORD - LHR daytime, it’s the YUL - LHR which is AA6222 departing 8.55pm so overnight.

better make sure I get my internal connections correct :0)

0600 out of PHL, arrive ORD 0735, then depart on AA90 0915. Should be plenty of time to connect.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
I never understood why BA stuck with their old configuration even on planes like 787
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by NeilP
0600 out of PHL, arrive ORD 0735, then depart on AA90 0915. Should be plenty of time to connect.
Yes, that should give you plenty of time to connect, and even get a made-to-order omelet in the Flagship Lounge.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Only issue I have with the AA flight is that the arrival time is pretty late in the day even when on time. Fine if you don't live too far away from LHR but if you have any distance to go it's not ideal IME.

That apart, I will always take AA over BA TATL.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO; DL GLD
Oops that’s a very good point!

AA90 is from ORD - LHR daytime, it’s the YUL - LHR which is AA6222 departing 8.55pm so overnight.

better make sure I get my internal connections correct :0)

It is. I once had this on a 9:00am arrival for my connection with the 9:35am departure. I will take this flight in economy (Main Cabin Extra) over flying in business on one of the AA/BA departures in the 5-7pm time frame. Too early to go to bed and not enough time to sleep.

You should have enough time to grab breakfast at The Publican Tavern, which is far superior to anything served in the lounge or on-board. https://flyanddine.boardingarea.com/...s-comes-ohare/
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: AA : BA
AA90 without a doubt, but choose your seat carefully:

5A /L, or 6 or 7 A or L, are unaffected by other seats / passenger movement in seats. Don't pick the ones which are attached at the head and move with your neighbor.

There's also 1D/H but I've never tried those

See this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html

Last edited by SoggyDollar; Sep 19, 2018 at 8:54 am
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:26 am

Club World is a glorified Premium Y product. AA isn't the best but it beats BA every day of the week.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The JFK day time flight from T7 would seem more sensible and a shorter trip all round if you are in PHL. Going to ORD looks decidedly odd on the map.
Cymro likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by audio-nut
Club World is a glorified Premium Y product. AA isn't the best but it beats BA every day of the week.
Despite the BA CW product's current weaknesses, this comment is stretching the imagination somewhat....
Admiral Ackbar and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SoggyDollar
AA90 without a doubt, but choose your seat carefully:

5A /L, or 6 or 7 A or L, are unaffected by other seats / passenger movement in seats. Don't pick the ones which are attached at the head and move with your neighbor.

There's also 1D/H but I've never tried those
I've flown both, the AA 788 is great but only if you can get a non-wobbly seat as SD says. 1D is a great seat. The BA 788 is also nice but for me would depend on whether I could get a window seat in row 3 or 7.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
I’m going from the AA routing and pricing - seems very favourable at £1342 LHR-PHL PE out, PHL - ORD - LHR Business back.

LHR - SDF as a single ticket is roughly the same OE both ways.

The internal flight I need is to SDF. I have all day 16th but only the evening of 19th to get back into PHL.

From each of the local airports (SDF / LEX / CVG) I can get a flight to PHL that evening (after 1500), which I’m thinking doesn’t leave much scope for error in case of bad weather.

CVG has 3 options.
SDF has 1 direct and several connecting flights.
LEX the same.

They tend to route through the same airports (CLT, ORD, DFW, MIA).

despite all the good feedback here, with 2 tickets maybe a PHL departure at 3.30pm is a safer bet

this would give me an additional buffer time in case of eventualities.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
AA both directions regardless of day or night flight.
Better choice of lounges at T3 plus the AA arrival lounge at T3 isn’t bad.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Why on earth aren't you doing it all on a single ticket to/from SDF?

If that doesn't work, for instance if you need a stopover, you can at least open jaw to be on a single ticket as much as possible.

As you say, at that time of year, you are vulnerable to bad weather - ORD has a particularly bad reputation but PHL is not likely to be that much better.

Louisville is also only 2 1/2h from Nashville by road, which seems like a very sensible option with American driving distances - biggest risk there is the fact that it's operated by a 787, as well as more limited availabilty and flights that are less than daily.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
American far better
late entry but having done both AA seat is better, far better (but ying/yang on 787-8 can wobble when you neighbour moves like BA), planes are cleaner, cabin cooler and service prompter. AA IFE is a bit over engineered but it’s pretty much same as BAs content.

Only downside with AA is the late arrival into London. Not much functioning public transport by the time you leave the terminal- but not much traffic either for Uber.
The AA90 can tend to arrive early if the crew are keen to get to London!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.