Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ex-EU may be going wrong - can YouFirst help protect LHR flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle

I had a nice AMS B2B booked ahead of a LHR departure tomorrow morning but due to a last minute meeting in France, I am having to catch the train to AMS instead. Now I'm at risk of missing my train to AMS which means also missing my flight to London this evening.

I know sometimes agents are able to protect the long haul sector but my question is can this only be done by airport agents, or can I call YouFirst to get this done proactively. I guess the booking is in airport control now so I think phone agents can't touch it?

I'm on the last BA departure of AMS and flying from LHR early tomorrow morning, so being placed on a later flight is not possible. I'll know soon whether I can make the flight or not because if I'm not on my planned train to Amsterdam, the next one is too late. In that instance, I'd rather take the Eurostar back from Paris and not make a pointless journey to Amsterdam.

And before anyone points this out, yes I'm an idiot.. so helpful comments only please
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I suspect you’ll get little sympathy from BA for not being are AMS for your first sector. My only advice is to make it there in time, all other options will most likely end in tears.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:29 am

All you can do is ask.
YacozA and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I would ring YouFirst and see if they will protect the flight, if not to at least put a note on the PNR regarding the train problem. I have a suspicion that AMS-LHR corridor will get delays this evening, though it's not yet reflected on BA.com/arrdep
s1362083 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:53 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by s1362083

I know sometimes agents are able to protect the long haul sector
I have only heard of BA doing that when BA is part of the cause (I don't mean when BA is necessarily to blame, but something that involves a delayed BA flight due to weather, technical issues etc. causing you to miss the next flight), or if it's a flex ticket, or after repricing, or something rather extraordinary (e.g. illness etc.).

You could always ask regardless, though. Nothing to lose by asking in this case.

Your travel insurance may cover you if you are not negligent or contributory to missing it.
orbitmic likes this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Sep 19, 2018 at 6:15 am
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is worth a call. More senior staff are completely aware of why people book xEU and therefore, I would be completely upfront. Ask for assistance and see what you get. As others note, BA will not likely help here.

The reason for missing your train will be critical for your travel insurance. If the need to stay behind is business-related, it is, of course, a commercial decision and an expense for the business.

No matter what, watch the AMS departure carefully. If there is a delay sufficient to cause a misconnect or a cancellation, you are able to cancel for a full refund and that will make you whole.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Good luck - I hope that it all works out.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Ouch. Good luck with this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Good luck!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Can only second what others say: very unlikely ba will do anything unless you are ‘lucky’ enough to have a cancellation/big delay from them. However, do call and they can at least quote you the cost of a change which is better than losing everything and only possible before your flight departure.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
maybe you could get your ex AMS moved to become ex CDG
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:11 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Most Ex-AMS are showing delays tonight. 20-30 mins on average.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Pleased to say I made it! Much ado about nothing in the end, but I hear LPGS tastes better after one has been stressed out

FWIW, a call to YouFirst was pretty useless but I guess they couldn't do much unless I was saying I'm definitely going to miss the flight, which I wasn't sure of at the time.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
FWIW, a call to YouFirst was pretty useless but I guess they couldn't do much unless I was saying I'm definitely going to miss the flight, which I wasn't sure of at the time.
In all likelihood, if you had said that/been in that position, they would only have been able to suggest a paid change as per the ticket rules which could have been painful. So very good that you made it in the end, and indeed, now you can relax and enjoy a drink or two! ^
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Pleased to say I made it! Much ado about nothing in the end, but I hear LPGS tastes better after one has been stressed out

CONGRATULATIONS!

As for Your First. Incompetent and useless best sums them up. Good only for booking a Spa treatment and even that is a challenge for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.