Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No gluten free hot items in lounge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
So I assume you think it IS important then? And then by rights ALL food intolerance are equally important?
So where does that leave the lounge food? You simply can't cater to everyone's every demand. If I had a specific food requirement then I and I alone would make sure I was providing for it. You can't expect a public food offering to cater to specific groups. Otherwise it just gets so out of hand there is nothing tasty left.

Also, I was under the impression the food in the lounge was optional? I don't remember anyone being forced to eat it, or indeed pay for it!
Some would say that you pay for it through either your ticket or your loyalty programme.

As far as catering to special groups, well isn't that exactly what airlines do with special meal options.

I'm not a vegetarian, there is no medical reason why I can't eat meat, and there were a lot less vegetarians 25 years ago. So maybe BA could knock all that on the head too.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:25 am

I love these “we didn’t have fads and diets back in my day” statements. We also didn’t live as long as we do now...

Leaving aside the health angle, flying is a customer business and if enough customers want something, they tend to get it or they go elsewhere.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
The ignorance here is quite unbelievable - the point is that gluten-free is not equivalent to vegetarian or pescatarian, in any shape or form.

Firstly it is not a preference, but a medical condition and it will kill someone if they carry on eating gluten (slowly and surely, not dramatically like a nut or other allergy)

Secondly, a person without gluten intolerance (myself, for example) can eat gluten free foods without even knowing that it is missing. BA, or any other restaurant, can provide gluten free options without depriving anyone else of their choices.

OK, maybe if you're craving sourdough or deep dish pizza, then there is no gluten-free equivalent. But the gluten free Victoria sandwich cake that is sometimes in the BA F lounge is quite indistinguishable from any other such cake.

The problem for BA (and anyone else) is simply that gluten-free ingredients cost significantly more (well maybe not cornflour).
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
I love these “we didn’t have fads and diets back in my day” statements. We also didn’t live as long as we do now...

Leaving aside the health angle, flying is a customer business and if enough customers want something, they tend to get it or they go elsewhere.
It would be interesting to see on what scientifically proven work you are correlating extended life expectancy with modern diets.

That said I totally agree on your second point. If enough customers go keto, for sure we'll see keto canisters in first class lounges. Thankfully, those fads are so far affecting only a small minority of gullible individuals.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
OP - when i was in the lounge last week, there were baked potatoes being served, with a big bowl of cheese on the side. Assuming no dairy intolerance, surely baked tattie and cheese (yum) would have been appropriate for you to eat, along with a big salad? If they aren't out, maybe next time you could ask the lounge staff if there are any in the kitchen?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid

Firstly it is not a preference, but a medical condition and it will kill someone if they carry on eating gluten (slowly and surely, not dramatically like a nut or other allergy)
What? No it won't. There is absolutely no proof of that, and certainly not from eating it once or twice in a BA lounge.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by frandrake
It would be interesting to see on what scientifically proven work you are correlating extended life expectancy with modern diets.
Right after you support your view that allergies and intolerances have no medical basis and are a “fad” (your word).

I look forward to you proving my reactions to certain foodstuffs are psychosomatic.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: AA gold, Hilton Diamond
Taken from study below: During 45 years of follow-up, undiagnosed CD was associated with a nearly 4-fold increased risk of death. The prevalence of undiagnosed CD appears to have increased dramatically in the United States during the past 50 years.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2704247/

For a celiac (American spelling of coeliac--same medical disease) it takes Mom and me about 4 months to recover from a fairly large exposure to gluten, i.e. a
slice of bread.

For children--undiagnosed celiac (or coeliac) disease is particularly serious. Generally the undiagnosed children have pretty extreme stunted growth and
in olden days would be the "failure to thrive" children. These are children that don't grow no matter how much food they eat. The villae in the intestines in undiagnosed children and adults are worn down to nubs from gluten/wheat exposure and inflammation and don't capture nutrition.

Still not sure why it is ok to make fun of children and adults with a medical condition. As a society do we make fun of those with diabetes, heart disease,
kidney disease, cancer? Is it okay to make fun of someone taking insulin for a medical condition?

Yes, a jacketed (unsliced) baked potato is generally one of the safest foods for a celiac (coeliac) to eat in a restaurant setting. Sliced open potatoes can be risky for a celiac (coeliac) to eat if the chef previously used the knife to slice french bread as trace amounts of gluten (wheat) are problematic for celiacs (coeliacs).

I find it best to carry a knapsack of my own safe foods, bring it into the clubs but this is problematic too since it generally violates club policies of no outside foods.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: AC, ANZ, MH
Originally Posted by labdoctor
Can't believe the insensitive nature of this reply...
while I understand you point, I think the point is that people with allergies cant expect to be catered for. I'm perfume allergic, but I don't go blasting forums when there is no perfume free soaps in lounge, I take mine out.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Silver
If I had a particular food intolerance or allergy I'd bring my own food anyway.

The lounge food is pretty much all gloop for all of us so I wouldn't be relying on it as my lunch or dinner in any case.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Saltire74

As someone who has a medically diagnosed gluten intolerance and not coeliacs, I can assure you that eating gluten free food when not having the choice is not a fad.

It wasn’t really a thing up until 10+ years ago because it was all too easy to diagnose some with irritable bowel disease which covered a spectrum of conditions. More research has been done and a strong conclusion has been made that some people are affected with varying degrees of symptoms, all because of gluten in the diet. The body reacts in a very similar way to so someone that has coeliacs disease but without the actual disease itself.

I can can assure you it’s not pleasant.

Back to the OP, it can’t really be that hard to serve something hot that is gluten free.

S
Well said
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
I guess you can't expect the lounge to cater to every single dietary requirement. No matter how popular or "in vogue" said requirement has become over past few years.
This.

Originally Posted by labdoctor
Can't believe the insensitive nature of this reply...
I disagree. Coming from a rather large family (in terms of numbers) which has gluten intolerance, as well as several medical professionals amongst them, they are in agreement that most people who claim to have gluten intolerance are doing it for the social media fads or to look cool etc as mentioned below.

Fact of the matter is, I've yet to see any evidence of someone being gluten intolerant actually DYING from it. My mother in particular was acutely sensitive to gluten yet still ate on various occasions foods containing it, despite knowing the upset it would cause her internally, primarily down to lack of suitable foods available etc.

Furthermore, if we start catering for gluten free along with vegan, vegetarian, kosher, halal, where do we draw the line? People need to actually get a grip on themselves on the gluten thing. I bet 90% of people claiming their intolerance aren't even remotely so.

Really don't think my reply was that "insensitive".
Fact of the matter is, "gluten intolerance" outside of Celiac disease wasn't even a thing cira 10 years ago. It's popularity has risen in direct proportion to social media trends and fads. Sorry, but that is the facts. And quite frankly I am tired of having my food choices limped because of passing fads.
I know two people who are "gluten intolerant". sometimes they forget , sometimes its all they talk about. I mean the less said about them the better.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I wouldn't make such a statement in this day and age. There is too much "asking Dr. Google" going on to know whether a person does actually have it or just claims to have it (be it because Dr. Google said so or because that individual thought it to be "hip"). The latter will, as demonstrated by this thread, lead to generalisation and discredit those actually suffering from an intolerance/allergy.

The problem for BA (and anyone else) is simply that gluten-free ingredients cost significantly more (well maybe not cornflour).
I don't think the cost of ingredients is so much the problem. As mentioned by others, the risk of cross-contamination would require BA to have a separate area to prepare and present food complying with specific dietary requirements.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Executive club
My son is Coeliac. So thanks to all who put it down as a fad.
Im hoping he doesn’t get bowel cancer from digesting Gluten.
It is not a fad. It is not something he will grow out of.
Coeliac affects his day to day life. He is very sick if he mistakenly consumes gluten with very very bad bowel movements, terrible stomachs pains and usually vomiting.
So to all the posters who belittled the effects of gluten on a diet I hope you do not have to cuddle your child whilst they are very sick because “Gluten tastes good”.
Sorry but I don’t post often but some of the responses to This post are sad and uneducated.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:43 pm
Administrator

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by settlenick
My son is Coeliac. So thanks to all who put it down as a fad.
Im hoping he doesn’t get bowel cancer from digesting Gluten.
It is not a fad. It is not something he will grow out of.
Coeliac affects his day to day life. He is very sick if he mistakenly consumes gluten with very very bad bowel movements, terrible stomachs pains and usually vomiting.
So to all the posters who belittled the effects of gluten on a diet I hope you do not have to cuddle your child whilst they are very sick because “Gluten tastes good”.
Sorry but I don’t post often but some of the responses to This post are sad and uneducated.
Same here, 3 year old celiac.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.