Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Skytrax Airline of the Year 2006

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

BA Skytrax Airline of the Year 2006

How the mighty have fallen. What was the airline doing so well back then that it was bestowed with such an award?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:45 pm

Paying the Skytrax wedge?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Mike Street retired in 2005, Rod Eddington left the airline and Wee Willie took over.

I remember Rod's retirement presentation in Waterside, The place was packed, He was an extremely popular and charismatic leader.

Willie, He's pretty much universally despised within the airline.
Dover2Golf and clubeurope like this.

Last edited by capin; Sep 17, 2018 at 4:00 pm
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by APUBleed
How the mighty have fallen.
How the world has changed.
HIDDY and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Countries prepared to fund their loss making airlines?
Pack likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:32 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Which airlines of the top 10 2017 are funded by their countries, HIDDY ?
For memory, the top 10 is QR SQ NH EK CX BR LH EY HU
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Which airlines of the top 10 2017 are funded by their countries, HIDDY ?
For memory, the top 10 is QR SQ NH EK CX BR LH EY HU
SQ certainly aren't and haven't been for 10+ years. LH are subject to the same EU rules as every other EU airline and therefore receive no state funding.

Does anyone though take Skytrax ratings seriously?

Few would argue that SQ are at the top in terms of service but LH in the sane category? I think not. LH offer a dependable and solid product but it's nothing like SQ, ever.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Skytrax is frankly a joke.

EVA AIR top 10? LH top 10? Hainan airlines top 10?

come on...
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by capin
Mike Street retired in 2005, Rod Eddington left the airline and Wee Willie took over.

I remember Rod's retirement presentation in Waterside, The place was packed, He was an extremely popular and charismatic leader.

Willie, He's pretty much universally despised within the airline.
What was so special about Rod that made him so popular other than being charismatic and what did he do for the airline during his tenure that made him so special?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf

Does anyone though take Skytrax ratings seriously?
Not since the ASA ruling. And not since two friends had reviews rejected (because they weren't independent!) and another had theirs edited to make it less positive.

This organisation seems to have airlines, passengers and journalists in its thrall for some reason. Any airline or journalist who uses it to pray in aid is less credible in my opinion.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I started flying BA as an adult in 2006 - in all honesty I don't think they are materially any better or worse than they were back then.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I started flying BA as an adult in 2006 - in all honesty I don't think they are materially any better or worse than they were back then.
Of course they haven't really changed since then, for example despite some tweaks CW is pretty much the same as in 2006.

The difference is that what was market leading 10 years ago has now been overtaken by other operators now looks a bit dated.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by simons1
Of course they haven't really changed since then, for example despite some tweaks CW is pretty much the same as in 2006.

The difference is that what was market leading 10 years ago has now been overtaken by other operators now looks a bit dated.
In 2006 BA pretty much had a common product across the whole long haul fleet - a flat bed. Most of its peers (think most of the larger airlines) had sloped seats or some form of horrible coffin with no window view. BA also had good lounges whereas many competitors were not so good. BA also pretty much had a lead with Premium Economy - I think only VS had meaningful competition there. In the back I think BA was OK - I mean I can remember going into Y on Lufthansa and they were watching films on screens dropped down from the ceiling.

Since then the ME3 have really come storming along but just look at what AA have/are doing as an example. In 2006 wild horses wouldn't have got me on AA TATL but now they are arguably better than BA and getting better lounges too. BA have only just woken up on the soft product, but their winning hard product of 2006 is now back of the field. I think the hammer, some of it justified, that BA have got in the press have turned people off BA - general perception used to be that people might pay a bit more to fly BA, but with all the talk of cost cutting, dated and dirty aircraft, densification, IT meltdowns, BOB, I think people shrug their shoulders and fly Norwegian or anyone else to save a few quid.

I hate to say this, but I don't think introducing MF really helps the perception either. Time and again in surveys, one of BA's strengths was its crews. Yet they went about sabotaging this strength - and please don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the individuals. It's not their fault, but it does rather come across as another example of a cheapening of the overall product.

Just my 2 cents (and yes, I do get that BA is profitable)
Dave_C and Dover2Golf like this.

Last edited by Betteronacamel; Sep 18, 2018 at 3:49 pm Reason: Grammar
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
but just look at what AA have/are doing as an example. In 2006 wild horses wouldn't have got me on AA TATL but now they are arguably better than BA and getting better lounges too.
This is the nub of it really. In 2006 I was doing JNB every month and BA was the 'must have' seat. Even getting from JNB to Cairo I would route via a long layover at LHR T4.

These days when LH premium cabins are involved I just cross BA off the list of options from our travel people.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by APUBleed
How the mighty have fallen. What was the airline doing so well back then that it was bestowed with such an award?
It's interesting that Skytrax is still taken seriously. The justification to give LH five stars (i.e. "They'll introduce a great business product X years from now) should suffice to discredit Skytrax altogether.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.