Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Catering levels in BA First Class

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:52 pm

The last four F flights I have taken have been priced at £200 more than J. The two I have coming up to/from SFO were also around the £200 mark more, perhaps £250. If denser seating arrangements and minimising catering waste allows such frankly amazing fares, then I have no complaints.

DorsetKnob - if you paid £10K for your F flights (did you, it wasn't clear?) then understandably you may hold a different opinion.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
The last four F flights I have taken have been priced at £200 more than J. The two I have coming up to/from SFO were also around the £200 mark more, perhaps £250. If denser seating arrangements and minimising catering waste allows such frankly amazing fares, then I have no complaints.

DorsetKnob - if you paid £10K for your F flights (did you, it wasn't clear?) then understandably you may hold a different opinion.
No I didn't!! I have only paid for 1st where it was at the value you describe or even where 1st was less than J. However at the time I booked the figures I quoted were what BA would sell me a ticket for as opposed to AVIOS. However that should not impact the offering.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by DorsetKnob
No I didn't!! I have only paid for 1st where it was at the value you describe or even where 1st was less than J. However at the time I booked the figures I quoted were what BA would sell me a ticket for as opposed to AVIOS. However that should not impact the offering.
Although the offering - including seeking to minimise waste, is what enables the fares we both enjoy! We can't have it both ways or dare I say have our cake and eat it
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Although the offering - including seeking to minimise waste, is what enables the fares we both enjoy! We can't have it both ways or dare I say have our cake and eat it
A fair point! However I would still maintain the risk of pissing off premium passengers which seems to be medium to high can be mitigated for negligible cost so it would make sense to spend the money. In most other businesses you would not take this risk. For example my wife will travel with me this weekend, doesn't travel a huge amount, but knows the airline business. She can't get her 1st choice meal because i chose it, there are only 2 of us in a 1st BA cabin, what will be her memory? What will she tell her friends? Not how fantastic it was we had a cabin to ourselves & what wonderful serve.....but.... wow BA are really .... we flew 1st & there were only 2 of us & I they still ran out of what I wanted to eat! Now I am exaggerating as we've also flown 1st & CC have offered my wife a 2nd helping of the main as they thought it was a little on the small side.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:50 pm

A fair point! However I would still maintain the risk of pissing off premium passengers which seems to be medium to high can be mitigated for negligible cost so it would make sense to spend the money. In most other businesses you would not take this risk. For example my wife will travel with me this weekend, doesn't travel a huge amount, but knows the airline business. She can't get her 1st choice meal because i chose it, there are only 2 of us in a 1st BA cabin, what will be her memory? What will she tell her friends? Not how fantastic it was we had a cabin to ourselves & what wonderful serve.....but.... wow BA are really .... we flew 1st & there were only 2 of us & I they still ran out of what I wanted to eat! Now I am exaggerating as we've also flown 1st & CC have offered my wife a 2nd helping of the main as they thought it was a little on the small side.
I am sure a gentleman like yourself will do the right thing there

Seriously, though all airlines take this 'risk'. No airlines cater 100% for all passengers for all menu items. So the line has to be drawn somewhere. Personally I've never not been able to get my first choice of anything in F, and if I didn't, does it really matter to me that much? No! I'll order something else I fancy instead. Sometimes I think it is possible to get anxious that a special experience will be spoilt unless everything is perfect, and in the process of worrying the experience and enjoyable anticipation can be spoilt.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
The last four F flights I have taken have been priced at £200 more than J.
In that case, I'll make a guess that it means that you book F flights primarily when they are on sale/promotion? Absolutely nothing wrong with that, and I can understand that when it is the case one may have different expectations, but it would be well worth remembering that most passengers in F on some key routes like JFK, LAX, HKG have actually paid full fare. Full fare F on BA is not cheap, in fact it is not any cheaper than the fares offered by the "super stars" of the F world like AF or SQ.

The difference is that AF and SQ rarely go as low in terms of promotions and certainly do not make F reward/upgrades as readily available, so on BA, you "also" get those very cheap F tickets, but for top paying passengers, there is effectively no discount whatsoever in booking BA, and at £10k return or more, one can perhaps see a little bit better why they might be miffed if they are being told that there is no muesli for them in a cabin with only two passengers, especially if their point of comparison is, precisely, AF or SQ.
NYLON Boy and rossmacd like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:49 pm

Seriously, though all airlines take this 'risk'. No airlines cater 100% for all passengers for all menu items. So the line has to be drawn somewhere.
Yet again, the differing level of “risk” between 130% and 400% is huge and as stated previous upthread, simple statistics tell you the likelihood of someone getting getting their first choice increases pretty quickly when the loading is increased by a modest amount.

As demonstrated by some of the other airlines mentioned.

The fact BA don’t flex the ratio upwards sufficiently in lightly loaded cabins to maintain probabilities is as mathematically infuriating as much as anything else.

Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
In that case, I'll make a guess that it means that you book F flights primarily when they are on sale/promotion? Absolutely nothing wrong with that, and I can understand that when it is the case one may have different expectations, but it would be well worth remembering that most passengers in F on some key routes like JFK, LAX, HKG have actually paid full fare. Full fare F on BA is not cheap, in fact it is not any cheaper than the fares offered by the "super stars" of the F world like AF or SQ.

The difference is that AF and SQ rarely go as low in terms of promotions and certainly do not make F reward/upgrades as readily available, so on BA, you "also" get those very cheap F tickets, but for top paying passengers, there is effectively no discount whatsoever in booking BA, and at £10k return or more, one can perhaps see a little bit better why they might be miffed if they are being told that there is no muesli for them in a cabin with only two passengers, especially if their point of comparison is, precisely, AF or SQ.
Yes I book during sales. I did already acknowledge your exact point upthread (I think you may have missed this). I am just giving my data points and how my experience of such great fares may have been enabled through cost control. Your point about full fare passengers is entirely valid although so is my own experience.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Seriously, though all airlines take this 'risk'. No airlines cater 100% for all passengers for all menu items. So the line has to be drawn somewhere.
Well, EL AL certainly used to (until I stopped flying regularly with them in F about 4 years ago).
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:16 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I have to say I have never been refused my F first choice meal. Also on flights from SIN to LHR, my pattern is choose meal, go sleep 7 hours, wake up and have a movie and a meal (usually 2 mains and 2 starters - I just tell the crew to bring me anything left over and my main choices), and then sleep until landing - never bothering with breakfast on BA...
Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Might BA solve it by going BoB in First?
Sounds a little far-fetched, though I guess the world of travel is full of surprises.

Maybe a Wetherspoon’s on-board franchise operation ? They do great breakfasts (and tend not to run out of the scrambled eggs option, after serving just one person )
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:20 am

Surely only a raving lunatic would pay £10k for a F ticket on BA. You must almost be in private jet territory there?

Originally Posted by subject2load
there is also a point at which you just have to take a few hits to the bottom line where the top cabin and highest spending pax are concerned.
Indeed, or do away with F.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by simons1
Surely only a raving lunatic would pay £10k for a F ticket on BA. You must almost be in private jet territory there?
£10k won't get you very far at all on a private jet.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic

Your analysis makes sense.
But there are very few companies willing to pay full fare F nowadays. The time when investment banks and insurance companies would pay £10k for any executive is gone. Companies have corporate contracts where they can get F at a hefty discount, but even then, travel policies often impose J.That leaves the very top management and a few wealthy individual.
But BA has to fill 14 F seats per most plane, a tall order of business. Most pax are awards (including a lot of upgrades from paid J) and heavily-discounted fares.
I like the system used by some airlines (like DL) to ask for meal choice by status. And guys forking £10k are likely to have high status. I don't know if BA does the same.

You mention AF, but it has a different business model. Very few planes are equipped with F and most of those (77W) have only four F seats.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by simons1
... Indeed, or do away with F.
That's a rather drastic solution to a relatively uncommon problem! I'm sure most would prefer to choose the chicken in substitution for the pork belly - rather that than not be able to travel in the First cabin. Despite some of its faults some of us are generally happy with the BA First proposition. I for one would certainly not want to see it go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.