Catering levels in BA First Class

Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
once from Tokyo, there were only 2 beefs offered for a cabin of 8
Same. Did they really not foresee the Wagyu beef option being more popular than the others? Every neighbouring seat to me got offered the CW beef instead. I consoled myself by thinking that it was probably a terrible cut that was then overcooked :P

Last edited by s1362083; Sep 17, 2018 at 9:27 am Reason: grammar
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I am not saying it is the norm, but around 50-75% of flights I do not get my first choice in First...
That sounds extremely poor for a GGL.

I've never yet not had my first choice of main in F, except when I asked to be given "any of the (two or three options from the menu) left after everyone's chosen" when I am in an indecisive (or potentially generous) mood.
ThatT1Feeling and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
I would pre-order if you fly ex-LHR... I have (unfortunately) had a few First flights when the first choice of meal wasn't offered... once from Tokyo, there were only 2 beefs offered for a cabin of 8... I am not saying it is the norm, but around 50-75% of flights I do not get my first choice in First...
Thats a pretty appalling rate for the product. I had a flight earlier in the year in 1st where neither my first or second choice were available.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: AVIS presidents club, BA GGL, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by DorsetKnob
So with just the 2 of us showing in the First cabin for a flight this weekend, I guess 2 of every option! So could work our way through the menu if so desired!
Still amazes me that they don’t fully cater for everything in F. Word of advice though. Make sure that if you do want a second meal later in the Flight (rather than afternoon tea for instance) ask the crew to set it aside for you otherwise the rest of the meals, incorrectly in my opinion, get eaten by the cabin crew 🙄 You’ve paid for the ticket, therefore the meals are for you.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Can I help you
There is no reason you cannot choose something from the first meal to have later, it just depends it there is any left.
What happens if I say at the beginning of the flight that I think I might want some dinner later on, but only if I wake up and then feel like it. I usually say please not to save anything specially for me, and I'll be happy to pick something from whatever is left then if I do want something.

The context is that this is usually on midnight departures from the Far East, on which I know that I'm likely to wake up at something like 3 am London time, feeling like I fancy some lunch.

I don't fly First as often as many here, but I've never yet not had my first choices whether eating at the beginning of the flight or in the middle. Does my request put a spanner in the works? Would it be better if I'm more specific about what I think I'll want later?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:12 am

Sorry if this is obvious, but BA do advertise that they have a dedicated first class help line - https://www.britishairways.com/trave...d=youfirstform. Might be worth asking them.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If you would particularly like something later in the flight or you cannot/willnot eat much of the menu then ask for something to be kept for you.

For example, if 2/3 of the menu has cheese on it and you loathe cheese (like me) you may be out of luck later. If you are an omnivorous trencherman, less planning is needed.

I would expect some food left part way through a flight, if you genuinely don't mind what it is.
JayZio likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
I regularly switch the order of meal items. On flights departing post 8 PM, I often have my "dinner" for breakfast. On my last flight, I had them save a Cajun Burger from the mains vice having the afternoon tea. In general, I am usually one of the first passengers queried on meal choices and rarely not having what I request.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

I've never yet not had my first choice of main in F, except when I asked to be given "any of the (two or three options from the menu) left after everyone's chosen" when I am in an indecisive (or potentially generous) mood.
Same for me (and The Lady Tobias), I’ve never been refused my first choice. To not be offered your first choice 50%-75% of the time is exceptionally bad luck, for any passenger let alone a Good or GGL.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

That was exactly my thought. And on two of the flights, they did not do meal choice in order of status (I was the only GGL on two of the flights as well). CSD/M very apologetic, and even showed me the meal loads. Got some Avios to make up for it, but still annoying. On one of the flights (Tokyo) my wife and daughter was in the cabin as well, both Golds, so 3/8 of cabin,, but they did the other aisle first so we lost out on the Wagyo beef. Oh well, not going to change my life, but annoying nevertheless
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:27 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by flatlander
omnivorous trencherman.
Wonderful phrasing

Subjectively it seems people experience lack of available first choice more on BA than they do elsewhere.
Presumably the crew get their pick of what is available from F, J & Y meals after service, so I would hope adding more choice wouldn't increase wastage, it would just increase the number of crew getting an F meal.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
It's neither cost effective nor logistically practical from a stowage point of view to provision 100% of every meal choice. There are very few airlines that would.

Thus the following inclusion on various menus:

"We kindly ask for your understanding, if your chosen menu is no longer available on today's flight"
"Please note that some of the chefs mentioned above may have moved on to other ventures. Please accept our apologies should your first choice not be available"
"We apologize should your preferred choice not be available. We cannot guarantee any food items to be allergen free"

You can always make your preference known before meal orders are actually carried out, while considering that Status is generally honoured.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

That was exactly my thought. And on two of the flights, they did not do meal choice in order of status (I was the only GGL on two of the flights as well). CSD/M very apologetic, and even showed me the meal loads. Got some Avios to make up for it, but still annoying. On one of the flights (Tokyo) my wife and daughter was in the cabin as well, both Golds, so 3/8 of cabin,, but they did the other aisle first so we lost out on the Wagyo beef. Oh well, not going to change my life, but annoying nevertheless
If it's just a few times you've flown F so far and missed out on the first choice of meal a couple of times as GGL, it might just be bad luck. If it happens consistently across dozens of F flights, that would be really weird and you might wish to start looking at who you might have upset
LondonCanuck likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:43 am

Mrs rapidex doesn't eat beef. I always say on boarding no beef for her, and we have never had a problem. The crew go out of their way to make sure she gets something good, leaving more steaks for the rest.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by VSLover
good to know/think about. i guess the main point of my gripe is i cannot have whatever i want whenever i want.

on a 16hr flight for example, i may have pasta first and ten hours later i may want the steak that was on offer for the initial meal (QF) or want caviar and noodles now, but want caviar again 12hrs later (CX).

in my experience, BA does not have such flexibility, and the initial question is enlightening to the 130% factor which makes me suspect its much higher on the other two examples above.
Although I’ve encountered this on several occasions with other carriers, for my first time I was the only pax on a BA F flight a few nonths ago. Every item on the menu was loaded, possibly the best situation to be in.
rapidex likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.