FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Arrivals lounge SYD? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1931001-arrivals-lounge-syd.html)

Essex Flyer Sep 17, 2018 2:08 am

Arrivals lounge SYD?

I’m travelling to SYD on BA15 in F, arriving 26 November. I’d assumed there would be a oneworld arrivals lounge I could use but can’t seem to find any info, have I got that wrong? I’m not taking another flight that day.

bigjono Sep 17, 2018 2:44 am

If you are Qantas Platinum One or Platinum you could go over to the Domestic Business Lounge, even if not flying onwards. Otherwise out of luck I think.

JClasstraveller Sep 17, 2018 3:20 am

Originally Posted by bigjono (Post 30212132)
If you are Qantas Platinum One or Platinum you could go over to the Domestic Business Lounge, even if not flying onwards. Otherwise out of luck I think.

No arrivals lounge at SYD for anyone.

Getting to the Domestic J lounge in the domestic T3 would be a right royal pain even if you had access. Better off trying for early check in at your Sydney hotel or wherever you’re staying.

1Aturnleft Sep 17, 2018 3:22 am

There's no arrivals lounge facility at Sydney.
You can either treck across to the domestic terminal (effectively a separate airport on the other side of the airfield) where you can access the QF lounges. You're able to go airside there without an onward boarding pass. You'll need to retain your F boarding pass to SYD for lounge access under one world rules. I know there are transit busses to domestic but not sure if you need to show your onward reservation. The alternative rail link is expensive for the short journey. Otherwise, if this does not appeal there is a Rydges Hotel immediately opposite the International Terminal where you can book a day room. The day room rates are usually pretty reasonable. The treck over to domestic IMO really isn't worth the hassle unless you really need to go there. I'd be looking at the hotel day room as the most comfortable option.

fruitcage Sep 17, 2018 3:30 am

Pretty sure there are no free arrivals lounges for BA pax flying any cabin or of any status outside the UK.

Globaliser Sep 17, 2018 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Essex Flyer (Post 30212080)
I’d assumed there would be a oneworld arrivals lounge I could use ...

Originally Posted by fruitcage (Post 30212191)
Pretty sure there are no free arrivals lounges for BA pax flying any cabin or of any status outside the UK.

There are actually precious few arrivals lounges anywhere in the world, for anyone.

And some that used to exist have closed. For example, BA used to have one at JNB, but that's long gone. A handler opened a pay lounge, open to all, a couple of years back, but that only lasted about a year before it closed.

So if you're going to make assumptions about arrivals lounges, the safer assumption is always that there won't be one. It's then a pleasant surprise when that proves to be wrong.

LTN Phobia Sep 17, 2018 4:10 am

Originally Posted by charlieboy77 (Post 30212182)
You'll need to retain your F boarding pass to SYD for lounge access under one world rules.

Strictly speaking you cannot access the QF domestic lounge after arriving on a BA flight unless you are departing on another OW flight that day (which can be an international flight).

While you can go airside without a boarding pass at Australian domestic airports, you wouldn't normally be able to get into the lounge.

The exception is for Qantas Platinum or Platinum One but arriving on a BA flight may not be covered even with that.

I know there are transit busses to domestic but not sure if you need to show your onward reservation.
You do need to show your onward domestic boarding pass (which is scanned) or at least an onward booking.

The alternative rail link is expensive for the short journey.
There is a free bus.

Otherwise, if this does not appeal there is a Rydges Hotel immediately opposite the International Terminal where you can book a day room. The day room rates are usually pretty reasonable.
This would be the most sensible option.

The treck over to domestic IMO really isn't worth the hassle unless you really need to go there.
Agreed, to the extent that I would avoid SYD transit as much as I possibly can (although DOM-INT is worse, esp. on separate tickets).

In addition, the OP would have a problem with storing the luggage if he/she has checked baggage, as he/she would not be able to get through domestic security with it. Baggage storage is rather expensive at SYD, and involve extra walking with baggage.

I'd be looking at the hotel day room as the most comfortable option.
In fact I'd probably save the hassle of changing hotels and book where I would be staying at from the night before, and let them know that I wouldn't be turning up until the morning (alternatively, if you have Your 24 hours under SPG you can ask to check in very early, or if you are a Royal Ambassador with IHG, you can ask for 8 am check-in, and other hotel schemes may have a similar arrangement).

Ausriver Sep 17, 2018 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Essex Flyer (Post 30212080)
I’m travelling to SYD on BA15 in F, arriving 26 November. I’d assumed there would be a oneworld arrivals lounge I could use but can’t seem to find any info, have I got that wrong? I’m not taking another flight that day.

Why would you assume there would be a oneworld arrival lounge and also why not go to your hotel for shower.

BAGoldBoy Sep 17, 2018 5:24 am

No lounge unless connecting to another domestic or international flight

A P Yu Sep 17, 2018 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Ausriver (Post 30212264)
why not go to your hotel for shower.

The flight arrives early-ish in the morning and the poster probably cant check in to his hotel room until later in the day.

Essex Flyer Sep 17, 2018 5:32 am

Thought a major international airport would have arrivals lounge, obviously shouldn’t assume that’s the case. Will try for early check in at hotel or at least just dump luggage and head out for a few hours.

RGS5526 Sep 17, 2018 5:33 am

Why not make do with a shower in SIN? Any benefits of a shower at SYD are likely to be eroded by a rush-hour train-ride downtown, and the last I heard was that there was a sever water shortage in New South Wales.

Diver Boy Sep 17, 2018 7:17 am

Originally Posted by RGS5526 (Post 30212386)
Why not make do with a shower in SIN? Any benefits of a shower at SYD are likely to be eroded by a rush-hour train-ride downtown, and the last I heard was that there was a sever water shortage in New South Wales.

NSW is in drought but that is not affecting everyday life. The drought is affecting agriculture significantly but we are not yet like Cape Town. In fact the local councils are still watering their greens and flowers where I am.

Globaliser Sep 17, 2018 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Essex Flyer (Post 30212382)
Thought a major international airport would have arrivals lounge ...

You just have to ask yourself: How many can I name that do? :)

Msclelovr Sep 17, 2018 7:30 am

My suggestion is that you do what I always do on arrival early morning in the Southern Hemisphere: book the hotel from the night before. And it's a good idea to email them that you'll be arriving about 7am and want to go straight to the room.

That way, you can unpack and shower before going out to breakfast/coffee and enjoy the day in the sunshine.