Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To TP run or not

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
To TP run or not

Am currently sitting on 1040 TPs for the year. While not booked yet, I'll almost certainly be able to get at least 160 TPs--and this could be increased to 240 with a little extra spend by adding a connection. My collection year ends on Jan 08. I've never been gold before, and this is my first year as silver, as well. I know ultimately only I can answer whether it's worth it for me or not, but I'd welcome the thoughts of the more experienced members here.

EDIT: I'm based in Belfast, which might be relevant for run calculations. Can easily access DUB.

Last edited by Mordac; Sep 16, 2018 at 12:31 pm
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by Mordac
Am currently sitting on 1040 TPs for the year. While not booked yet, I'll almost certainly be able to get at least 160 TPs--and this could be increased to 240 with a little extra spend by adding a connection. My collection year ends on Jan 08. I've never been gold before, and this is my first year as silver, as well. I know ultimately only I can answer whether it's worth it for me or not, but I'd welcome the thoughts of the more experienced members here.
So it sounds like you need about 300 TP's, you have a few months to get them. You could do a visit to HEL (Helsinki) and back that's 160. TPs. Extend that to 240 by continuing on to Oslo, then another CE trip for 80. Alternatively a winter break in Dubai - 280 TP's in business ? With care you'd probably make it for well under 1000. So what do you get for Gold. More avios on BA, nicer lounges (sometimes), access to first wing. More availability in reward classes in economy etc.

There's a whole thread on the value of being gold over silver. Have a look and see what you think.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Do have plans for many W and Y flights next year from LGW/LHR?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:32 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
The simple answer is generally if you fly often enough to take advantage of the benefits. It's definately a mild (in most cases) form of addiction for a lot though. I barely ever fly but get it through my QR J flights, yet I find myself caring or spending too much time on it anyway,

My advice? The fact you are posting this question on this forum, just do it. yolo and all...

While the First Wing is great if you fly often, benefits for me as an infrequent leisure traveller are first class lounges and exit row seats in Y on long haul. On that note actually, if you don't fly frequently then no, it's not worth it at all and it's just a mind trick to care really.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Where are you based and what are your more common routes and would you have a lot of flying in the next year?

Assuming you take the 240 tp route you would need another 220 tps to get gold.( assuming you have 4 BA flights already)

If your principle routes are out of airports with a First lounge then getting to Gold would be worthwhile . Also at some destinations the F lounges are significantly better than the J lounges ( ie LAX, LHR ( esp T3, HKG, TYO. SYD).

Also on reaching gold you would then have a soft landing to silver when your gold membership expired if your flying patterns reduced

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
If your principle routes are out of airports with a First lounge then getting to Gold would be worthwhile . Also at some destinations the F lounges are significantly better than the J lounges ( ie LAX, LHR ( esp T3, HKG, TYO. SYD).
That's a valid point to consider. In my own case I very rarely find myself able to use F lounges for the simple reason that most of my flying is in and out of regional airports to destinations with a just a J lounge (if I am lucky).
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by firstlight
So it sounds like you need about 300 TP's, you have a few months to get them. You could do a visit to HEL (Helsinki) and back that's 160. TPs. Extend that to 240 by continuing on to Oslo, then another CE trip for 80. Alternatively a winter break in Dubai - 280 TP's in business ? With care you'd probably make it for well under 1000. So what do you get for Gold. More avios on BA, nicer lounges (sometimes), access to first wing. More availability in reward classes in economy etc.

There's a whole thread on the value of being gold over silver. Have a look and see what you think.
Even better, as HEL itself would get be 240, seeing as I'd have to do the BHD or DUB leg too! Those are all good ideas, thanks for that.

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Where are you based and what are your more common routes and would you have a lot of flying in the next year?

Assuming you take the 240 tp route you would need another 220 tps to get gold.( assuming you have 4 BA flights already)

Also on reaching gold you would then have a soft landing to silver when your gold membership expired if your flying patterns reduced

Regards

TBS
Based in Belfast. Go to LIS at least three times a year, do some more flying within Europe and the UK. At least one long haul trip a year, but can be more. Definitely have 4 BA flights, in fact all the TPs are from either BA or IB. The soft landing is one of the things sticking out in my mind the most. It'd be really nice not to have to worry about requalifying as silver for a whole year.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

flying to LIS from LHR will be from T3 so having a gold card will get you the AA First class lounge, BA F and Cathay F lounge. Going back to belfast will give you Galleries F at T5.

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver | Flying Blue Gold | Accor Gold
Was in similar position with my year ending in november.
Decided to go for it based on the first wing, and flying from T3 atleast 20 times next year. And those lounges seem pretty good

I booked a few of my regular flights to CE and can't wait to hit gold in two weeks.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
I'm in a similar position - going to be on 1050 in Dec - trying to decide if getting 450 is really worth it or not by end of Feb. I'd probably have budget for about £1k and can't decide whether its really worth it.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
What I think those of you who are thinking of doing a TP run need to calculate what value you would get out of your status (or higher status compared to what you have now) over the course of its validity period, and how much you need to spend, and see if they tally up, or not.

The value may be different for each person/flying patterns, e.g. some of you may only ever fly F, in which case the value of attaining Gold may be substantially less than those who only ever fly Y, unless he/she values the extra Avios earned as a Gold member extremely highly compared to the Y flyer in question.

Bearing in mind even at LHR T5 you can pay to access a lounge (although not a BA lounge), and recouping the costs of a TP run through lounge use may not be easy if you don't fly much, but also perhaps take into account the extra Avios-spending opportunity you can get as a Gold, e.g. Gold Priority Reward at double the Avios at least 30 days before departure, subject to certain fare buckets being available, etc.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Having been a silver for 10 years plus I would honestly say no. Ive been in a similar situation a few times where my TP is around 1300
Gold is not worth spending ones own cash for,
I have had more than my fair share of upgrades as a silver, and only expect what has been paid for on the companies money,
These days before I fly, I so much enjoy the bangers and mash at the Poilets bar in T5..
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
If you are happy with Silver and close to Gold and have hundreds of thousands of Avios needing to be burnt it’s worth it to spend the money on a run. Get to Gold and then just go on a burn the Avios year with the increased availability. You will soft land to Silver even in the unlikely scenario that you don’t have a few revenue flights. While not needing to do that yet it’s definitely going to be in my plans in the future now I’m retired
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by PxC
The simple answer is generally if you fly often enough to take advantage of the benefits. It's definately a mild (in most cases) form of addiction for a lot though. I barely ever fly but get it through my QR J flights, yet I find myself caring or spending too much time on it anyway,

My advice? The fact you are posting this question on this forum, just do it. yolo and all...
Agree with your final sentence!!

Hello Mordac:

This question is asked very regularly and while many people provide thoughtful, personal responses, the only person who really knows the true cost/benefit analysis will be person asking. You may well have something much better to do with your money and are happy enough with Silver benefits.

Do have a good read of the Gold benefits on ba.com or in the Dashboard so that you know what you may be paying the extra £££s/time to get. Some benefits have been referenced above already. With some great TP advice above and in the TP Thread, see how much it might cost and then decide.

As some here will know, I am one for whom the addiction has gone a little beyond 'mild' and definitely have worked on the yolo principle (!). For me, the Gold benefits have been great and I have enjoyed them all.

Please let us know what you decide.

Hope to see you in the First Wing sometime in the future....!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:12 am

As others have said people value different things but I've never found the earn / burn approach appealing. The increased availability for gold is only in Y class where I typically don't redeem often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.