Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Should or should I not turn BA in? Charging YQ ex GRU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should or should I not turn BA in? Charging YQ ex GRU

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
Thumbs down Should or should I not turn BA in? Charging YQ ex GRU

Dear FTers,

So we all (most of us) know that the beauty of leaving or departing from Brazil is that Brazilian Law prohibites the charge of YQ or any carrier imposed taxes, other than government taxes, to any final price of the ticket.

That has a great side effect: no airline is allowed to charge YQ ex Brazil on redemption fares.

So today I booked GRU-LHR-GRU in F and was quoted USD850 in "Fees". After my CC was charged and I got my ticket, I rang back and demanded to see the breakdown of the "Imposed Charges".

Guess what?

They admitted they were charging YQ, and said that since I complained, they would refund me USD550 (!!) which they should not have charged in the first place.

In a true FT spirit I called back later and tried another booking. Guess what price was quoted for taxes on GIG-LHR-GIG?

USD 850!!

OUTRAGEOUS!

They could get sued BIG time in Brazil if I turn them in....
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I would, they are doing something illegal that you know about, and as such this needs to be stopped for those who dont know about this.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jenzo
I would, they are doing something illegal that you know about, and as such this needs to be stopped for those who dont know about this.
To make matters worse...

They described it as "YQ charge"

Of course we know what YQ stands for.... but what about others?

When I said "And that stands for Fuel Surcharge which is illegal ex Brazil, right?"

The attendant quickly said he would talk to a Supervisor, and returned with the answer "we have credited your card back with USD 600"
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by GRUflyer

They could get sued BIG time in Brazil if I turn them in....
This has come up a few times before on here. By all means report them and let us know how the bureaucracy deals with them.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc....flyertalk.com
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paul4040
This has come up a few times before on here. By all means report them and let us know how the bureaucracy deals with them.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc....flyertalk.com
They no longer allow Brazilian Accounts to make online bookings via ba.com so to waive those fees manually.

But now they have completely lost any decency....
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXEC PLAT, TK*G
To make matters worse...
They described it as "YQ charge"
Last week I was charged 282 EUR for an F reward from GRU to LHR and I thought it was cheap.

I tried a dummy booking now and the fee is listed as *Fuel surcharge EUR249.01*. I will call and demand a refund.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
They admitted they were charging YQ, and said that since I complained, they would refund me USD550 (!!) which they should not have charged in the first place.
The attendant quickly said he would talk to a Supervisor, and returned with the answer "we have credited your card back with USD 600"
Could you clarify, $550 or $600?

With that sort of inaccuracy... I advise you not to sue BA, you'll be ripped to pieces in Court if you can't get your own testimony right.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Timbuku
Last week I was charged 282 EUR for an F reward from GRU to LHR and I thought it was cheap.

I tried a dummy booking now and the fee is listed as *Fuel surcharge EUR249.01*. I will call and demand a refund.
So you should!!! ^

BA needs to get burned for that.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So we all (most of us) know that the beauty of leaving or departing from Brazil is that Brazilian Law prohibites the charge of YQ or any carrier imposed taxes, other than government taxes, to any final price of the ticket.
BA could re-arrange the price of a redemption ticket to be some flat cash base fare (as a fare not a "tax" or a "fee") plus the appropriate Avios quantum. So if you proceed you may end up worse off.

On the other hand, one has a moral duty to assist in upholding the law of one's community.

As a side note, does this apply for the entire ticket issued out of Brazil or just the sectors? If one was feeling particularly sneaky, and planning a lot of trips, one could telephone and get all the sectors on the same ticket, and then get a refund of the entire tax/fee element.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Things may have changed since my time at BA, but basically the loophole was, to my understanding, that YQ could not be charged on published fares departing Brazil, or redemptions sold and ticketed in Brazil. So BA just used a MEX office to process Brazilian redemptions and collect the YQ.

Another side effect of Brazilian law is that the Brazilian Customer Relations line must be answered, in Portuguese, within about 30 seconds of the phone ringing - I was therefore taught how to say 'Obrigado por ligar British Airways. Um momento por favor' whenever my Brazilian colleague's phone rang and she wasn't at her desk...
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JAXBA
[COLOR="Navy"] So BA just used a MEX office to process Brazilian redemptions and collect the YQ.
My BA redemptions are issued in Mexico as well.

Avios.com doesn't charge the higher rate so there is a workaround if you're willing to take the chance.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BLHD
Could you clarify, $550 or $600?

With that sort of inaccuracy... I advise you not to sue BA, you'll be ripped to pieces in Court if you can't get your own testimony right.
It is something in between.... around USD 580 I believe, given the fact that there is a currency convertion in between...

Of course I cannot prove it exactly how much it was, since your beloved BA does not issue an invoice clearly stating what they are charging.... but then again, what kind of thief would do that, right?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
As a side note, does this apply for the entire ticket issued out of Brazil or just the sectors?
I feel sure the Mileage Run folks have something along those lines already, although I can't find it now.

Something like GRU-LHR-xxx-LHR-yyy-LHR-zzz-LHR ...

It was all in Y though
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAXBA
Things may have changed since my time at BA, but basically the loophole was, to my understanding, that YQ could not be charged on published fares departing Brazil, or redemptions sold and ticketed in Brazil. So BA just used a MEX office to process Brazilian redemptions and collect the YQ.

Another side effect of Brazilian law is that the Brazilian Customer Relations line must be answered, in Portuguese, within about 30 seconds of the phone ringing - I was therefore taught how to say 'Obrigado por ligar British Airways. Um momento por favor' whenever my Brazilian colleague's phone rang and she wasn't at her desk...
BA was already fined over that, along with LH - which I personally turned in.

BA was using MEX and LH was using EZE.

The law states "for tickets ORIGINATING in Brazil" so they were shut down for that.

Ever since, LH closed its EZE base and moved all the telephone calls to California, from what I understand from the agents.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
I feel sure the Mileage Run folks have something along those lines already, although I can't find it now.

Something like GRU-LHR-xxx-LHR-yyy-LHR-zzz-LHR ...

It was all in Y though
JNB, I think. (!)

One for the AA folk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.