Wiki Posts
Search

BA F vs Oman J

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:42 pm
PxC
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
All booked up with Oman, delighted with Paris out and back to LHR for £1230 (£300 less than going from LHR), when we can position same day from LHR for 4k miles+tax(14 hours to get to Paris if something goes wrong, doesn't seem impossible). All sectors have Apex suites, bargain!

Thanks for the all the advice.
orbitmic and smokie36 like this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@PxC - enjoy !

I’ve been encouraged to see so much positive comment here about WY.

I have four longhauls coming up with them (booked well before this thread) , the first of which is next month. Have flown WY a couple of times for regional s/h - and was impressed with overall service standards ; but this will be my first experience of them on l/h, so am looking forward.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: WY SL, EK Gold, CX MPO
Originally Posted by PxC
All booked up with Oman, delighted with Paris out and back to LHR for £1230 (£300 less than going from LHR), when we can position same day from LHR for 4k miles+tax(14 hours to get to Paris if something goes wrong, doesn't seem impossible). All sectors have Apex suites, bargain!

Great choice! Just a heads up WY swaps aircraft a lot. Keep an eye out on the BKK flight especially as those can tend to have the inferior leased KQ 787 (you'll know as the seats are numbered 1-5). I've got a booking to BKK in Nov as well and the aircraft has already been swapped twice
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I hope that someone from BA management is reading this thread as they should be aghast that, on the BA forum of all places, people are recommending an airline other than BA, and not even OW. Especially business over first.

I know that the business hard product review is on the way but it will be a few years before it gets fully rolled out. The improvement in food is welcome but at the end of the day you want a decent competitive seat and not one that will just do the job.

As as much as I like BA and want to stay loyal, it is proving harder day by day.
wrp96, cosmo74 and subject2load like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
I hope that someone from BA management is reading this thread as they should be aghast that, on the BA forum of all places, people are recommending an airline other than BA, and not even OW. Especially business over first.

As as much as I like BA and want to stay loyal, it is proving harder day by day.
And if is of any consolation to you (perhaps not !?), these very sentiments are shared by many others.

I don’t know how far back your own ‘personal BA history’ stretches ...... but spare a thought for those of us who knew the airline very well in its good times. Here’s hoping it’s not too late to bring back those days ; current management will not be in situ forever.
MaxFlyer and Cris L like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Keep your loyalty for loved ones.
Dave Noble and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by PxC
Thanks, slightly suprised this is the first piece of advice I read! I guess its worth mentioning that on the way out we would have a night in HKG if going with BA (and on to BKK with Cathay the following morning). Extra city to check out and tick off, but given all the flights etc maybe it would be too much travelling/****ing around (when you consider also flying around Thailand)?
I’d normally suggest the shortest route unless you’re (and your wife) a proper plane/ travel nerd but Hong Kong is fantastic, so this definitely sways it BA’s way.

Im not familiar with Oman J but I suspect it will be very tough to compare with A380 BA F where you could very comfortably dine with each other
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by PxC

Come back and let us know how it all goes ! Fab price
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

BA is just a transportation business - if it is not the best option, it seems mad to want to stay "loyal" to it any more than I would stay loyal to any other business that no longer has the best offering

People being "loyal" help enable a company to avoid improving -- why improve if people will use it anyway

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj

I’d normally suggest the shortest route unless you’re (and your wife) a proper plane/ travel nerd but Hong Kong is fantastic, so this definitely sways it BA’s way.

Im not familiar with Oman J but I suspect it will be very tough to compare with A380 BA F where you could very comfortably dine with each other
Hong Kong airport is nowhere near as nice as the new Muscat airport terminal for transitting - plus it would require 2 transits ( london and hong kong ) vs 1 ( Muscat )
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA is just a transportation business - if it is not the best option, it seems mad to want to stay "loyal" to it any more than I would stay loyal to any other business that no longer has the best offering

People being "loyal" help enable a company to avoid improving -- why improve if people will use it anyway

Hong Kong airport is nowhere near as nice as the new Muscat airport terminal for transitting - plus it would require 2 transits ( london and hong kong ) vs 1 ( Muscat )
I meant the city not the airport.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:01 pm
PxC
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

Sitting side by side was one of the things I liked about the Apex Suite, and one of the things that put me off the reverse herringbone seat BA uses. Whenever I fly QR's newer seat (787) with someone I always feel too far away from them and we have to learn forward to talk. So far it seems Oman have the best business class seat around (probably more comfortable then Q suite), and people have given rave reviews of the soft product, as well as the new terminal. And of course the price will be hard to beat.

I'm off to Hong Kong next week so at least one of us will still see it And on Q suites so it will be very interesting to compare to the Apex Suite.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

I meant the city not the airport.
As it happens, Oman is probably the most interesting part of the Arabic peninsula (alongside Yemen but a lot safer) for a stopover. Quite fascinating actually if op wanted to stop, but I have a feeling they prefer to go all the way and I understood HKG stop (one of my favourite cities too I agree with you) more out of safety due to flight times and separate tickets?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:30 am
PxC
Original Poster

Originally Posted by subject2load

Come back and let us know how it all goes ! Fab price
Very well!

Oman (J) Review vs QR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.