Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

It's happening: VS not BA this weekend (will report back)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL

Yep, it's happening, the company couldn't find BA at a fair rate so, for the first time in 5yrs, I'm flying Virgin Atlantic Upper Class.

​​​​​​Check-in is tomorrow and, as someone with zero VS status, I'm curious (and kind-of excited) how it'll all work out.

Will update as I go on Sunday...
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:21 pm

Assuming from LHR, great lounge, nasty seat, okay food and service: but you’ll be back to BA next time even with the argument with your boss!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Hope you don't like looking out of the window. If you do then be careful because you will exit the plane with a very stiff neck, as did I.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boten
Hope you don't like looking out of the window. If you do then be careful because you will exit the plane with a very stiff neck, as did I.
It's full on the way out and I'll therefore be in a 'middle' seat. Don't think that'll change given the lack of space!!
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:49 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
Just spend the whole flight sat at the bar, the seats are dreadful
tynmar likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
Oh dear. I booked myself a flight to MIA in October to try something other than BA/AA. It seems all I’ve read since is how bad the seat is. Oh well, I’ll get to find that out, or not, for myself. I don’t have a problem with the BA seat so many moan about, so hopefully the VS seat will be fine. After a life time economy flying I’m always just glad to be in a better seat now flying mostly business. With the BA seat the downside is not the stepping over, or face a stranger, for me it’s mostly the lack of immediate to hand storage for glasses, phone, cable and Kindle.
no longer atc and T8191 like this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by All She Wrote
Just spend the whole flight sat at the bar, the seats are dreadful
In the three VS Upper flights I've taken in my life, the bar has always been used as a setup area. Once 'open' it seems to be unstaffed. So, yes, it's just a marketing ploy imo... Maybe this time it'll be different.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dougzz
With the BA seat the downside is not the stepping over, or face a stranger, for me it’s mostly the lack of immediate to hand storage for glasses, phone, cable and Kindle.
Upper deck window bins are about the only way around this issue at present.
I, too, never know what to do with my glasses!
no longer atc, T8191 and dougzz like this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
I did my first VS last year and am back on them again next month as the BA/AA fares were not competitive vs VS. Whilst I usually choose AA/BA for the AA Miles and/or Avios, I am building up a fair stack of Virgin Miles thanks to their credit card and flying Delta domestically in the US so that driver is diminishing.

I rather like the whole experience on VS. Yes the seat isn’t to my liking (AA is my preference), but it is perfectly comfortable (albeit rubbish for storage) and the on board service is usually great. The PJs on the flight back to the UK are also much appreciated. I do miss the opportunity of upgrading to F on the AA 77W when I fly VS though as that’s a good use of the upgrades that AA give to their top tier elites.

Last time I flew the A330 outbound with the new upper class that is being discontinued and the A340 inbound. I preferred the older A340 upper class which is the one they’re putting on the 787s but both were ok. Next time it’s 787 both ways so that will be interesting to see how their newest aircraft feels.

The departure lounges in LHR and JFK were amazing and the arrivals lounge in LHR was also heads and shoulders above the BA offering.
Sealink and orbitmic like this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
I really don’t recognise the Virgin experience people are describing - I’ve had 3 flights this year in Upper all outstanding - there’s Pros and Cons between them and BA - yes the seat lacks storage but it’s very comfortable especially in bed mode. I love using the bar and have spent many hours chatting to crew and passengers - great atmosphere if you get a good crew - I’ve never seen it unmanned unless no one is actually using it then yes the crew don’t just stand there but once it gets busy there’s always a member of the crew present IME. IFE is great , food not as good as BA, cabins (even the A340) significantly cleaner than BA. Crew hit and miss but when good they are superb !
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Chris9642
I really don’t recognise the Virgin experience people are describing - I’ve had 3 flights this year in Upper all outstanding - there’s Pros and Cons between them and BA - yes the seat lacks storage but it’s very comfortable especially in bed mode. I love using the bar and have spent many hours chatting to crew and passengers - great atmosphere if you get a good crew - I’ve never seen it unmanned unless no one is actually using it then yes the crew don’t just stand there but once it gets busy there’s always a member of the crew present IME. IFE is great , food not as good as BA, cabins (even the A340) significantly cleaner than BA. Crew hit and miss but when good they are superb !
agreed, although I much preferred the Virgin food to BA
choosethedrew, mrow and Silver Fox like this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:34 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Chris9642
Same here. The B747 in J is great. The A330 with 1-1-1 layout is great, the 1-2-1 layout not so great.
mrow, Sealink and Silver Fox like this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Guess this thread shows that it’s horses for courses; what some love others loathe.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Same here. The B747 in J is great. The A330 with 1-1-1 layout is great, the 1-2-1 layout not so great.
The 789 is 1-1-1 too, which I'm pleased about.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Agree - absolutely love the Virgin J experience on 747. Just a shame only ones left are leisure config with the smaller bar.
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.