Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA CityFlyer catering | guide, reviews and photos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EJetter
Please do not quote photos in this thread.

BA CityFlyer catering 21 February to 9 July
All information is posted in a personal capacity and not as a representative of the airline. Information could change at any time.

Route bandings

Band 1S: AMS, DUS, JER, RTM
Band 1: BHD, DUB, EDI, GLA
Band 2: CMF (LCY), EGC, FRA, GVA, PRG, BER, UIP, LIG, ZRH, EAS, LIN
Band 3: AGP, ALC, BCN, CMF (EDI), FAO, FLR, IBZ, NCE, PMI, SPU
Band 4: JMK, JSI, SKG

Menu cycles
Code:
 Start date
21 February         1
28 February         2
6 March             1
13 March            2
20 March            1
27 March            2         
3 April             1
10 April            2
17 April            1
24 April            2
etc 

Club Europe meal times

Band 1S-3
00:01-10:29 Breakfast
10:30-16:59 Lunch (except night-stopping aircraft catered ex-LCY/SOU departing before 12:00 which will offer breakfast, or a hot dinner with ambient sides if after 12:00)
17:00-23:59 Dinner (1S-1 cold, 2-3 hot)

Band 4
00:01-10:29 Breakfast
10:30-23:59 Hot dinner

Euro Traveller breakfast 00:01-09:29

Band 1S-2
Nature Valley Crunchy Oats & Honey

Band 3-4
Cycle 1: Nature Valley Crunchy Oats & Honey, Egg mayo and sausage or Mixed cheese and spring onion
Cycle 2: Nature Valley Crunchy Oats & Honey, egg and bacon or Cheddar and roast tomato
Cycle 3: Nature Valley Crunchy Oats & Honey, BLT or Egg mayo and spinach sandwich

Euro Traveller rest of day

Band 1S-2
Just Glorious Crisps Sea Salt or Nature Valley Crunchy Oats & Honey
Band 3-4
Cycle 1: Wiltshire ham and cheese or Vegan New York Deli and Nature Valley Crunchy Oats & Honey
Cycle 2: Pastrami, emmenthal and sweet pickle or Three cheese salad sandwich and Nature Valley Crunchy Oats & Honey
Cycle 3: Chicken salad with lemon pepper mayo or Ploughman's sandwich with caramelised onion and Nature Valley Crunchy Oats & Honey

Club Europe breakfast

Band 1S Cycle 1

Greek yogurt with stone fruit

Sourdough muffin with bacon, croque-monsieur sauce and relish
or
Toasted​ muffin​ with portabello​ mushroom, cheddar​ and​ caramelised​ onion​ chutney

Band 1S Cycle 2

Greek yogurt with stone fruit

Toasted sourdough muffin with bacon, tomato jam and Red Leicester cheese
or
Toasted​ sourdough muffin​ with portobello​ mushroom,​ beetroot​ sauce,​ kale,​ and​ cheddar

Band 1-2 Cycle 1

Bread roll and butter

Yogurt as per band 1S

Cream cheese and chive omelette with potato and chorizo hash
or
Wild mushroom cream cheese omelette with fried potato rosti
or
Cheese and coleslaw salad

Band 1-2 Cycle 2

Bread roll and butter

Yogurt as per band 1S

Spinach and feta omelette with corned beef hash
or
Sweetcorn fritter with smokey chickpea ragout
or
Cheese and coleslaw salad

Band 3 and 4
As above plus fresh fruit pot

If more than 19 passengers in Club, breakfasts over this number will be cold plates

Nightstop breakfast

Nutigrain bar, pain au raisin, bread, croissant

Cheese omelette, sausage, mushrooms, baked beans, spinach
or
Plain omelette, sweet potato hash, cherry tomato, asparagus/tenderstem broccoli

Club Europe lunch (band 1S-3) and cold dinner (band 1S-1)

Band 1S-2 Cycle 1
Bread and butter

Hot smoked salmon with horseradish potato salad, candied beetroot and pea shoots
or
Kale and cranberry slaw, honey glazed goats' cheese, chutney and pea shoots

Tony's Chocolonely milk chocolate bar

Band 1S-2 Cycle 2
Bread and butter

Roasted chicken with red cabbage slaw, roasted grapes and mayonnaise
or
Pearl barley salad with heritage carrot and mushroom mix, honey-soy dressing, chilli pearls and pea shoots

Tony's Chocolonely milk chocolate bar

Band 1S-1 cold dinner and band 3 lunch
As above plus appetiser: Pumpkin and kale orzo salad with artichoke, and onion sauce

Club Europe hot dinner
NB if more than 24 Club Europe passengers, hot main will be replaced by a cold main due to oven capacity

Cycle 1
Appetiser as per cold dinner/band 3 lunch

Chicken tagine, couscous, roasted root vegetables and goats' cheese
or
Black bean chilli with wild rice, corn and red pepper

Tony's Chocolonely bar

Cycle 2
Appetiser as per cold dinner/band 3 lunch

Miso beef stew with coriander lemon rice, padron peppers and lime
or
Spinach, pumpkin and sage gnocchi with olives and goats' cheese

Tony's Chocolonely bar

Night-stopped flights will offer a choice of pulled beef cottage pie or black bean chilli

Bar
Tea, coffee (decaf instant on request), green tea*, herbal teas*, Earl Grey tea*, Harrogate Spring still and sparkling, orange juice, apple juice, tomato juice (Worcester sauce available), Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Schweppes Tonic Water, Schweppes Slimline Tonic Water, Schweppes Canada Dry Ginger Ale.

Ciroc vodka*, Smirnoff Red/Eristoff vodka, Tanqueray gin*, Gordons gin, Johnnie Walker Black Label*, Johnnie Walker Red Label, Bacardi white rum, Otard cognac, Baileys*, Cointreau*

Heineken, Brewdog Speedbird OG

One of: Champagne Nicolas Feuillatte Réserve Exclusive Brut*/Champagne Castelnau Réserve Brut NV*/Champagne Castelnau Brut Millésime 2007*/Heidsieck & Co Monopole Silver Top*

Chardonnay (California)*
Sauvignon Blanc (France)*

Cabernet Sauvignon (Chile)*
Shiraz (Australia)*

Sauvignon Blanc (Chile)
Chardonnay (Italy)
Cabernet Sauvignon (Spain)
Merlot (Italy)

*Club Europe only

Print Wikipost

BA CityFlyer catering | guide, reviews and photos

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by EJetter
You should be able to pick this up from the ticket desk. Normal bar service on board, and you'll get a tapas or ploughman's box.
Wow, that ploughman's box is interesting! Spreadable cheddar and smoked cheese 😂. Pickled onions in a bag was funny too.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Flew back from BHD to LCY yesterday morning

Only 3 in Club

Loaded only one meat hot breakfast and 2 veggie

The veggie was disgusting, some anaemic tasteless omelette (I think) with a suede mush

I asked the CSM was this Belfast catering

He replied it comes from LCY frozen and had never seen it before! It was actually inedible!

Last edited by allturnleft; Sep 20, 2022 at 12:45 am
Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:53 pm

Suffice to say nothing that's been slopped up in Club of late has been compelling enough for me to take the bait of an £89 'offer' that's constantly been flogged since ticket purchase 6 months ago for my band 3 trip ex SOU next weekend. All things considered, I'll take my chances in Traveller exit row with a free drink and a game of sandwich roulette.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Flew back from BHD to LCY yesterday morning

Only 3 in Club

Loaded only one meat hot breakfast and 2 veggie

The veggie was disgusting, some anaemic tasteless omelette (I think) with a suede mush

I asked the CSM was this Belfast catering

He replied it comes from LCY frozen and had never seen it before! It was actually inedible!

This is the standard vegetarian nightstopped breakfast - definitely not new, it's been around for well over a year. It's an omelette with sweet potato and onion hash, mushrooms and grilled asparagus and should look like this if cooked correctly:

Hot breakfast: sweet potato and onion hash

The sweet potato and onion hash is usually quite tasty, and the omelette is much improved by the addition of salt and pepper.
Sealink and bafan like this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Interesting

It obviously failed on this occasion

A cold continental breakfast would have been better

Why the odd ratios of traditional vs veggie breakfast provided and why not use a local caterer

What catering does the mainline service to LHR use?
Old Sep 20, 2022, 1:12 pm

Will be the same, hot breakfasts stored in ice boxes. They use the same throughout Europe so you get something very similar to this on an IST-LHR nightstopper , BA doesn't do very much catering downroute at all in Europe now , Cityflyer weekend stopovers one of the few exceptions

If I recall correctly from the BHD regional flights there isn’t a catering facility anyway, it had to come from Dublin which didn't work out for some reason
EJetter likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allturnleft
Interesting

It obviously failed on this occasion

A cold continental breakfast would have been better

Why the odd ratios of traditional vs veggie breakfast provided and why not use a local caterer

What catering does the mainline service to LHR use?
Ratio would have been an error rather than intentional - at the moment any weirdness you encounter with airline catering is usually down to a lack of (experienced) staff.

Catering downroute adds significant cost and complexity and extends turnaround times. I’m not aware of any European airlines still doing this on short haul flights as standard.

It wouldn’t be possible to safely and consistently store a cold continental breakfast on board overnight as the Embraers have no chilled stowages (and I believe even on aircraft with chilled stowages the ground power is not maintained overnight). All meal trolleys are loaded with a strip of smart paper which changes colour if the temperature inside goes over a safe level. Temperatures are maintained using dry ice and insulated containers. Before hot meals can be served a single use temperature probe is inserted into the protein element of one of each type of meal; the black ring turns red when safe to serve.

The texture of the omelette does suffer from being frozen and reheated, and needs seasoning but the meal should definitely not be inedible if heated correctly.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:15 am

Can anyone advise what I may expect flying EDI-FLR please ? I’ve asked on Twitter and the answer is chocolate fireguard-esq in its helpfulness… an 0700 departure on a Sunday morning so my thinking is that BACF simply don’t want to pay the out of hours catering cost at EDI … but I don’t know whether to bring snacks or a full blown breakfast/brunch. Also, any ideas if it’s normal to say food will be limited only to find a distinct absence of bubbles on board too please ?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by aahch
Can anyone advise what I may expect flying EDI-FLR please ? I’ve asked on Twitter and the answer is chocolate fireguard-esq in its helpfulness… an 0700 departure on a Sunday morning so my thinking is that BACF simply don’t want to pay the out of hours catering cost at EDI … but I don’t know whether to bring snacks or a full blown breakfast/brunch. Also, any ideas if it’s normal to say food will be limited only to find a distinct absence of bubbles on board too please ?
I think there was a post somewhere in this thread a couple of months ago with a few people who had experienced this email, from memory the offering was similar to economy (snack/water), I'll try and dig it up if I can find it.
I've not experienced it myself so I am not an authority though!

Found it!:

Originally Posted by ajamieson
I had the same message last week and was served a shrink-wrapped ham and cheese sandwich and a drink in a plastic cup (sorry, no photo). This was on a Club Europe ticket that had been cancelled from Heathrow after having previously being cancelled from a different flight at Heathrow.

Apparently you can collect a voucher for food at LCY from the checkin desk but since there was an non-moving snaking queue of angry/rebooked/cancelled pax I just went through security and bought myself a drink in the terminal and will be sending the receipt to BA.

Last edited by pythonisman; Sep 22, 2022 at 9:34 am Reason: Removed image quote
Old Sep 22, 2022, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aahch

dnata’s Scottish operation does not have the capacity to cater these weekend flights due to ongoing labour shortages so Fresh-Jet have been contracted to provide instead. Expect a plastic box containing a filled bagel or croissant, pain au Chocolat or similar, fruit salad and a few other bits and pieces. Bar service will be as normal, including provision of ice and lemon however it’s likely plastic cups will be used.
alex67500 and aahch like this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Suffice to say nothing that's been slopped up in Club of late has been compelling enough for me to take the bait of an £89 'offer' that's constantly been flogged since ticket purchase 6 months ago for my band 3 trip ex SOU next weekend. All things considered, I'll take my chances in Traveller exit row with a free drink and a game of sandwich roulette.

SOU-ALC Band 3 Breakfast
Wiltshire Ham and cheddar on a Kaiser Roll
Chocolate Granola Square
Orange Juice cuplet
Can't really go wrong with this. Decent quality in terms of size, ingredients and taste of the filled roll. Granola square did what it needed to and the OJ was bog standard from concentrate.

Service was delivered by the most disinterested crew member I've had the misfortune to meet in a long time. At first I just assumed he was one of those resting b***h face types who'd jump to life with a little engaging interaction but it was soon apparent they guy was just lazy and clearly wasn't interested in serving passengers this morning.
On the subsequent drinks round I asked for a sparking water.
"No just still" ... I could see sparkling on the trolley working it's way though the 3 rows of Club but conceded it must an exclusive product to that cabin and accepted still. A reference check to the bar products liaded here on the wiki suggests otherwise
Ahalf full tumbler of still water was then thrust in my face. There's nothing on the table other than the breakfast previously provided.
"Thanks so much, would you be able to stick a couple of ice cubes in there for me"?
"There isn't any" before moving on to his next inconvenience sat in the row behind. Another glance forward to witness the theatrical tonging action against cubes of frozen water from the SCCM preparing drinks in Club suggested otherwise.
I will go as far to suggest this guy needs to rethink his service strategy..... or find alternative work in a non customer facing role. Name withheld but duly noted.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Sep 24, 2022 at 7:50 pm
Old Oct 9, 2022, 10:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
This mornings offering from EDI to LCY for brunch. No bread loaded apparently hence the absence.

Old Oct 9, 2022, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by KARFA
No bread loaded apparently hence the absence.
Looks like pretzels are the standard "service recovery" offering... On an LCY inbound last week, they ran out of crisps/brownies before the back two rows, so we got a handful of pretzel bags and double drinking servings instead
Old Oct 9, 2022, 3:26 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kt74
Looks like pretzels are the standard "service recovery" offering... On an LCY inbound last week, they ran out of crisps/brownies before the back two rows, so we got a handful of pretzel bags and double drinking servings instead
Yes that sounds about right, she did say that's why she had put them on to make up for the lack of bread.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 11:33 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by KARFA
This mornings offering from EDI to LCY for brunch. No bread loaded apparently hence the absence.

I had the same as this today BHD to LCY, again no bread. I have no idea how the items on that plate are supposed to go together. Not a patch on any of the CE options I have had this year.
KARFA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.