BA Companion Voucher Predicament

Old Sep 14, 18, 5:01 am
Original Poster

BA Companion Voucher Predicament

Hi there,

Just interested if the experts have an opinion on the predicament we are in in regards to our Companion Voucher.

The situation looks like this:

We have a BA companion voucher (UK) which runs out in March 2019, but will be leaving the UK for OZ within the next two months and don't have any holidays left to squeeze in a BA trip for the two of us.

Unfortunately we understand that you can only use this voucher flying out from the UK, which will be tricky living in Australia.

Is there anything we can do to not just have this companion voucher expire? I can't seem to find a solution, but was wondering if there may be any clever tricks someone here might know about?

Thank you!
Old Sep 14, 18, 10:12 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Moderator action

Welcome to Flyertalk.

I have moved your post to the British Airways forum. Even though the voucher is earned by spending with American Express, the redemption is managed by the airline.
Old Sep 14, 18, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, ron_swanson!
Originally Posted by ron_swanson View Post
Is there anything we can do to not just have this companion voucher expire?
No, sadly not (on the assumption that you mean an American Express companion voucher, often referred to here as a 2-4-1). If you do want to use it up, perhaps the best thing might be to use it for a short-haul trip - perhaps a weekend jaunt somewhere?

But over the years, I have let a number of these expire unused because there wasn't any viable trip to use them on. In a sense, it's always cheaper not to use it and let it go than to manufacture a trip that you don't need or want.

We do have a dedicated thread on the topic of these vouchers, and it might be worth having a look at it: BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion
Old Sep 14, 18, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Many thanks Globaliser - unfortunate, but if that's the way it is and there is no way around it, then we have to live with it!
Old Sep 14, 18, 11:40 am

You can use it on one way trips. So, if you've not bought your ticket try using it on BA to Australia (very few redemption seats but worth a quick check just before you book as sometimes further seats are released).
Old Sep 14, 18, 5:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Greenpen View Post
You can use it on one way trips. So, if you've not bought your ticket try using it on BA to Australia (very few redemption seats but worth a quick check just before you book as sometimes further seats are released).
Or even part of the way. London to HKG, SIN, KUL, similar could be useful.

Harmless using it for a two night EU trip if it'll otherwise go to waste.

Hope it works out.
Old Sep 14, 18, 5:15 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR, QR Insider, Krisflyer Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by ron_swanson View Post
Hi there,

Just interested if the experts have an opinion on the predicament we are in in regards to our Companion Voucher.

The situation looks like this:

We have a BA companion voucher (UK) which runs out in March 2019, but will be leaving the UK for OZ within the next two months and don't have any holidays left to squeeze in a BA trip for the two of us.

Unfortunately we understand that you can only use this voucher flying out from the UK, which will be tricky living in Australia.

Is there anything we can do to not just have this companion voucher expire? I can't seem to find a solution, but was wondering if there may be any clever tricks someone here might know about?

Thank you!
Dependent on which colour Amex card you earned the voucher with, you may be able to extend the voucher for another 12 months, which would at least give you time to consider your options.

M
Old Sep 14, 18, 5:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
Dependent on which colour Amex card you earned the voucher with, you may be able to extend the voucher for another 12 months, which would at least give you time to consider your options.

M
Iím pretty sure the standard (blue) card earns a 12 month voucher and the premium plus (black) is 24 months. Both non-extendable except maybe by discretion in rare cases e.g. bereavement. Would be very interested to hear about any other extension possibilities.
Old Sep 14, 18, 6:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by fruitcage View Post

Iím pretty sure the standard (blue) card earns a 12 month voucher and the premium plus (black) is 24 months. Both non-extendable except maybe by discretion in rare cases e.g. bereavement. Would be very interested to hear about any other extension possibilities.
I believe the T+Cs say it's not extendable, yes.
Old Sep 15, 18, 1:35 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR, QR Insider, Krisflyer Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher

Mine was extended to allow me to book something 6 months after the expiration date. This was done for me in July.

M
Old Sep 15, 18, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Silver
Mine was extended to allow me to book something 6 months after the expiration date. This was done for me in July.

M
Do you mind me asking about the circumstances or how difficult it was to get the extension?
Old Sep 15, 18, 7:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, VA Platinum
I feel your pain. We had failed to read the small print on this and had intended to use it for a return trip from Oz back home. In the end we just paid cash (in a lower cabin) and let it expire.
Old Sep 15, 18, 8:22 am

Do you mind me asking about the circumstances or how difficult it was to get the extension?
I just asked for it - I had no idea that there was an issue about it, as I've had one extended in previous years.

I had flights on hold for March, yet my voucher was due to expire in September. I forgot the core difference between a GUF & Amex voucher, so thought I just had to book by September.

However, obviously I had to fly before September. So, I asked whether the voucher could be extended for use on the flights I wanted to book in March - and 24 hours later was told no issue.

M
Caciucco and fruitcage like this.
Old Sep 15, 18, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
I just asked for it - I had no idea that there was an issue about it, as I've had one extended in previous years.

I had flights on hold for March, yet my voucher was due to expire in September. I forgot the core difference between a GUF & Amex voucher, so thought I just had to book by September.

However, obviously I had to fly before September. So, I asked whether the voucher could be extended for use on the flights I wanted to book in March - and 24 hours later was told no issue.

M
Possibly only extended because they heard you are a MUCCI and nothing to do with your GGL status at all !
Fruitcake, Caciucco and msm2000uk like this.