Missed flight in LIS - any recourse?

Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA; LH; AF
Missed flight in LIS - any recourse?

I'm pretty sure there is not, but I thought I'd ask just in case. I'm also venting, as I'm pretty annoyed at the situation.

I was due to be on BA503 yesterday (last BA LIS-LHR of the day). Arrived at the airport an hour and a bit before take off, online check-in and hand baggage only. Made my way to fast track (gold card, economy ticket), and the security guard refused me access, stating business class only. This is not the policy, GC get to use FT access, and I have done so on previous trips. I was sent to the regular security queue, where I then waited about 25 mins to get through.
Got through it and passport control, screens showing final call. Made it to the gate to be told the bus had just gone, flight was now closed, nothing they could do, sorry. Screen at the gate showed final call, not closed, and by my watch and phone I was there 22mins before stated departure time - policy at LIS is 20 mins. Dispatcher (outsourced, not BA) said it takes a minute or two for the screen to update, acknowledged I was there 20 mins before take-off, but since she had no more transport, there was nothing more that she could do. To make it worse, the dispatcher said I should have used Fast Track, and what a shame I missed the flight as I had been bumped to Club. When I explained that I had tried to use FT but was denied access - until now she had addressed me in English, greeting me by name when I got to the gate - she said I should have spoken to the security guard in Portuguese as not all of them speak English. At that point I switched to Portuguese, which I speak pretty fluently, and said that I had. She reacted with surprise, but went back to the "nothing I can do, you were a no show". I asked that, since I was there before the 20min deadline, that I be declared denied boarding, rather than no show, but she refused, and was not willing to continue the conversation. I rang GGL line and headed back landside - by the time I had got through immigration, still no answer on GGL line, and no BA staff that I could find. In all I waited on GGL line for 15mins for someone to pick up before ringing off to call my TA and rebook onto TAP for the same evening. Eventually got through to BA customer services, who logged it and promised to get back to me today. Got a call this morning from them to say that according to the airport's report, I arrived at the gate 19 minutes before take-off, and so was a no-show. I put forward my perspective, especially the acknowledgement by the dispatcher of the timing, but "that is not what the record shows, and you are not going to change the outcome of our investigation".
I guess I chalk it up to experience, but to say it's frustrating is an understatement.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
This happens at Faro - the entrance to Fast Track security will not recognise that an online or phone BP for ET from a GCH should allow access to the queue. You need to go to a checkin desk to get an airport-printed one. I presume, based on your experience, that this is also the case at Lisbon.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
You can put your claim down on paper as statement of truth and initiate proceedings again BA in small claims court. I would have taken photos of the screen and watch in that situation as well
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
This happens in Porto too (I was GCH travelling in CE) You need to get a printed boarding pass!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA; LH; AF
Thank you for the comments, and what a shame it seems to be a relatively common occurrence that people are not allowed to use the facilities that are supposedly there for them. @nufnuf77, you're right, I should have taken photos, but without them, I don't think I'll go to small claims...
Like I say, I'll have to chalk it up to experience.
kaka likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Where is the policy that states that there is access to fast track at Lisbon - I can see that certain airports are listed as having that as a OW benefit on the OneWorld site, but cannot see Lisbon in the list

Is this policy listed on the BA site?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:12 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Request the CCTV from the airport and use it to support an EC261 denied boarding claim.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I have had this in Faro and Lisbon. Useless security that makes the rules up as they feel fit. Last time denied in Faro was because my gold coloured Club Europe boarding pass did not explicitly say "Fast Track". I went back to the check-in desk to fetch an agent who promptly "educated" the fast track guard that BA business class always gets fast track. The time spent fetching the agent, who was well used to doing this, was far less than the time I would have wasted in the slow security line. I do very much love the Portuguese but sometimes they are seriously organisationally challenged.

I have also been denied boarding at LIS when presenting to the gate at just over 20 minutes before departure. The airport is such a mess right now that any opportunity to close a flight punctually is sometimes over-enthusiastically taken. This was TAP but I had the agent sign my boarding pass that it was still 23 minutes before departure and I successfully claimed EU261 denied boarding. They fought it all the way, denying I was there on time until my lawyer sent them a copy of the boarding pass as part of legal discovery. They paid up then and got hit for legal costs too.

I assume you have some call records of when you called the GGL line, or perhaps some witness to confirm you were at the gate before the published closing time? If so, pursue this. Otherwise, remember in Portugal to not leave it so tight.
SK likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
At LHR T3 fast track my boarding card (BA Gold flying BA econ) wasn't recognised by the scanner for fast track so I went back to check-in. They re-printed the boarding pass and said all should be good, again it didn't work. Turned out I should have given it to the staff member at fast track rather than use the scanner.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:27 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Slotski
At LHR T3 fast track my boarding card (BA Gold flying BA econ) wasn't recognised by the scanner for fast track so I went back to check-in. They re-printed the boarding pass and said all should be good, again it didn't work. Turned out I should have given it to the staff member at fast track rather than use the scanner.
Why would you go back to check-in when the staff member was right there? Status members in economy are always rejected nowadays, as has always been the case in LHR T2.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by :D!
Why would you go back to check-in when the staff member was right there? Status members in economy are always rejected nowadays, as has always been the case in LHR T2.
Always rejected by machine! Status in Y at T3 is admitted following manual override by staff member.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:48 am

The wiki on BA Fast Track says " LIS - Lisbon Boarding: Yes. Security: Yes, CE only".

I'm not sure what that means - fast track security is only for status holders who are travelling CE (who get it anyway, as CE pax?). So was the OP entitled to use FT for security?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
The wiki on BA Fast Track says " LIS - Lisbon Boarding: Yes. Security: Yes, CE only".

I'm not sure what that means - fast track security is only for status holders who are travelling CE (who get it anyway, as CE pax?). So was the OP entitled to use FT for security?
Lisbon is not listed as an airport where fast track is offered to those with Emerald status, so unless there is a BA specific policy , it doesnt seem that the person was incorrectly denied access to fast track
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
If you were at the gate 22 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time then you were involuntarily denied boarding and are entitled to IDB compensation. In these situations it is always best to to take a photograph of the screen as this should indicate the time and the status of the gate. The photograph should provide corroboration of your version of the timing.

Here is the information from Expert Flyer, unfortunately that doesn't assist you as it shows the flight was late leaving the gate.

Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Flight Status Search:
Departing on 13/09/18
Flying BA flight 503

Flight   Status           Depart Location  Depart Date                   Reliability  Arrive Location  Arrive Date
                          LIS              Scheduled: 13/09/18 18:45                  LHR              Scheduled: 13/09/18 21:20
BA 503   Landed           Term: 1          Estimated: 13/09/18 18:58     68% / 24m    Term: 3          Estimated: 13/09/18 21:28
                          Gate:            Actual: 13/09/18 18:58                     Gate:            Actual: 13/09/18 21:28
                                                                                      Baggage: 07

Comments:
"DOBA503/13SEP
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO *            BA 503   -1 TH 13SEP18   
CITY INFO                                       HOUR (LOCAL)  

LIS  ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE                1845            
     LEFT THE GATE                              1858            
     TOOK OFF                                   1914            
     ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL                  2126     LHR    
LHR  AIRCRAFT LANDED                            2123            
     ARRIVED                                    2128            
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO*              BA 503   -1 TH 13SEP18    
APT ARR   DY DEP   DY CLASS/MEAL          EQP  GRND  EFT   TTL  
LIS          1845  TH JCDRI/M  YB/G       32A         2:35      
                      HKMLVNOQSGX/G                             
LHR 2120  TH                                                2:35                    
>"
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
I thought it was a BP issue rather than rejection because of Y class. Had something similar at T5 just a few week's before, where I went to the staff member next to the automated machines and he had no luck and said I had to go back to check-in. So I thought it was a similar problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.